Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I don't love swimming, i love the ocean, i love water, i love surfing, but swimming not so much....i joined a master this past 3 months simply to mentally make it easier and it has. I do also accept that if i want to be a faster triathlete i have to swim half way decent or it puts me to off the front of the race. So embrace it as much as you can and find a masters.

2024: Bevoman, Galveston, Alcatraz, Marble Falls, Santa Cruz
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [jonnyo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jonnyo wrote:
you need to find a way to change your attitude or you will never improve. And i m not been condescending as i very much understand your position and frustration. This is the reality of many triathlete that have to swim alone, unsupervised and struggle greatly at it.

if you want to improve, you need to put yourself in a environment where success is the only possible outcome.

Find a great swim group and coach that will be able to give you that passion for swimming and communicate that drive to get better.

Show up at the pool with VERY specific goal, and very specific skill to target each session.

Do some video review of your swimming, become immerse and dedicated to get better

Build a short routine at home with streach cord so you get to do some ''swim training'' on days you cant make it to the pool

Start watching swim video/youtube, competiton, olympics etc...and learn to like/love it... you get to see the best in the world and it will give you good mental reference as to what your ''trying to replicate'' in the water.

It s not easy, but it can be done and been done by so many. I have a squad of 20-25 athletes in penticton and i think everyone is loving a little more swimming since they join the group and get hook by the high energy and committment of everyone to improve and get better.

Also remember...any swim fitness gain will translate in higher watts on the bike and faster runs.... it s not 3 sport... it s one sport

best of luck!

What ^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^ he said!
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [cloy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I realized I wasn't having fun swimming I quit Triathlon and started racing bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:
If you love triathlon, or any sport, that means learning to love the bits you absolutely suck at.
I had so much fun sucking at swimming. I'd work construction during the week and do a couple of early morning practices with the local swim team (couldn't even hang with the 10yr olds). Saturday and Sunday evenings I'd go back solo 4:30-6:30, have a hot chocolate and a donut while they shut the pool down for half an hour, then jump back in 7-9. Started winning local races that summer.
Another dude was doing something similar down the road in Penticton that year. Can't remember his name, think it rhymed with "diamonds" or something. Heard he's had a pretty good career....

Swimming 4 hr/day on Sat and Sun is very impressive. While swimmers do this routinely, I've never known or heard of another triathlete swimming this much. Kudos to you, Sir. So, how much time did you drop off of your pool times??? (I ask about the pool b/c we all know any given "1500 m" tri swim could be 1000 m, or occasionally 2000, but more likely short than long, IME.)

"Anyone can be who they want to be IF they have the HUNGER and the DRIVE."
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My pool 1500 scm went from 25min to 21min from October 2006 to March 2007. The swim club I swam with (I say "with" but they had to create a special super-slow lane...) had a coaching switch that winter, with the former coach having a "miles make the champions" approach, and the new one a lower-mileage, speed/technique-based way of doing things. I learnt a lot from both, but moving from one to the other was essentially like going from a base to a speed phase, and it had a positive effect.

We never tested, but JonnyO had me around 20min for a push 1500m in training last year, and all my best Tri swims including 54 for IM (from 1:23 at my first).
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [NateChampness] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NateChampness wrote:
My pool 1500 scm went from 25min to 21min from October 2006 to March 2007. The swim club I swam with (I say "with" but they had to create a special super-slow lane...) had a coaching switch that winter, with the former coach having a "miles make the champions" approach, and the new one a lower-mileage, speed/technique-based way of doing things. I learnt a lot from both, but moving from one to the other was essentially like going from a base to a speed phase, and it had a positive effect.
We never tested, but JonnyO had me around 20min for a push 1500m in training last year, and all my best Tri swims including 54 for IM (from 1:23 at my first).

Very impressive, if most triathletes would put as much time and effort into their swim training as you have, I'd bet the incidence of swim heart attacks would drop dramatically, plus people would be more amenable to making triathlon a more balanced sport, espec the half iron and iron races. I mean, does anyone seriously think that the 1900 m swim is the equivalent of 56 mi bike or 13.1 mi run??? It's not even close as a 1900 m OWS is more like a 4.6-ish mi run in terms of time and energy expended.

Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [DrunkIrishman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I really didn't care about doing the backstroke for twenty minutes, and breaststroke or butterfly?!? I didn't mind if they threw a small set in of these, but I don't want to wake up at 4am to spend a hour doing strokes that I have ZERO interest in learning.
This made me a masters drop out. I felt like I was wasting my time, the coach did understand and emailed me workouts that were more freestyle specific when I asked.

You realize that other strokes improve posture and body balance/awareness?
And Butterfly, done properly, being a really hard core workout?
And don't get me started on the benefit of kicking.

Plus swimming strokes makes it mentally challenging to stay on top of the workout and for sure takes the boredom out of swimming alone.....even if you only do long axis strokes (Free, Backstroke)..
Last edited by: windschatten: Sep 21, 17 21:46
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [windschatten] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
windschatten wrote:
DrunkIrishman wrote:
I really didn't care about doing the backstroke for twenty minutes, and breaststroke or butterfly?!? I didn't mind if they threw a small set in of these, but I don't want to wake up at 4am to spend a hour doing strokes that I have ZERO interest in learning.
This made me a masters drop out. I felt like I was wasting my time, the coach did understand and emailed me workouts that were more freestyle specific when I asked.

You realize that other strokes improve posture and body balance/awareness?
And Butterfly, done properly, being a really hard core workout?
And don't get me started on the benefit of kicking.

Plus swimming strokes makes it mentally challenging to stay on top of the workout and for sure takes the boredom out of swimming alone.....even if you only do long axis strokes (Free, Backstroke)..
I have no doubt the above is true, but for somebody who I their own words struggles to swim twice a week and is only interesred in freestyle performance, specificity is where the low hanging fruit will be.
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [ericmulk] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
NateChampness wrote:
If you love triathlon, or any sport, that means learning to love the bits you absolutely suck at.
I had so much fun sucking at swimming. I'd work construction during the week and do a couple of early morning practices with the local swim team (couldn't even hang with the 10yr olds). Saturday and Sunday evenings I'd go back solo 4:30-6:30, have a hot chocolate and a donut while they shut the pool down for half an hour, then jump back in 7-9. Started winning local races that summer.
Another dude was doing something similar down the road in Penticton that year. Can't remember his name, think it rhymed with "diamonds" or something. Heard he's had a pretty good career....

Swimming 4 hr/day on Sat and Sun is very impressive. While swimmers do this routinely, I've never known or heard of another triathlete swimming this much. Kudos to you, Sir. So, how much time did you drop off of your pool times??? (I ask about the pool b/c we all know any given "1500 m" tri swim could be 1000 m, or occasionally 2000, but more likely short than long, IME.)

When I was training for ultra-distance tris, my pool workouts were routinely 5-6,000 yards. My OW swims would creep up to 5 miles leading up to races. That was tough for the November race, when my local waters had temps in the upper 50s!

That said, I suck at swimming... And I swam in high school and college.
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [Fueco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fueco wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
NateChampness wrote:

When I was training for ultra-distance tris, my pool workouts were routinely 5-6,000 yards. My OW swims would creep up to 5 miles leading up to races. That was tough for the November race, when my local waters had temps in the upper 50s!

Well, "sucking" is all relative but if you swam in HS and college, you must swim relatively well by tri standards.

Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [Triteacher86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've made more improvements in the 3 weeks i've been swimming with masters then I did in 2 months going at it solo.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
Fueco wrote:
ericmulk wrote:
NateChampness wrote:

Well, "sucking" is all relative but if you swam in HS and college, you must swim relatively well by tri standards.

I guess it is relative... Knowing that 20 years ago
In Reply To:
In Reply To:
I could've swum sub 55 for an Ironman swim frustrates me when I now do ~1:14.
Quote Reply
Re: I dislike swimming and I suck at it. Should I join a masters team? [Fueco] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I guess it is relative... Knowing that 20 years ago I could've swum sub 55 for an Ironman swim frustrates me when I now do ~1:14.

Surely if you worked more at your swimming you could get back down pretty close to 55??? I mean, you're only prob about 42-ish??? You can't have lost that much since you are just over 40 but i suspect you have not been putting same amount of energy into your swim as you have your B and R over the past few years.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ericmulk wrote:
I guess it is relative... Knowing that 20 years ago I could've swum sub 55 for an Ironman swim frustrates me when I now do ~1:14.

Surely if you worked more at your swimming you could get back down pretty close to 55??? I mean, you're only prob about 42-ish??? You can't have lost that much since you are just over 40 but i suspect you have not been putting same amount of energy into your swim as you have your B and R over the past few years.

In college (I'm 41, and last swam competitively in 1995), I was swimming six days a week, and sometimes twice per day. Weekly totals were upwards of 40,000 yards. But yeah, I'm sure I'm not putting the same effort into it these last few years. In fact, my 2.4 and 1.2 open water swim times have been very consistent for the past eight years. My pool times got faster with more training, but my OW times never did. Part of the problem is that training for pool swimming is an entirely different beast. It's all about efficiency pushing off the walls, and quick flip turns. You don't get either of those swimming OW.

For now, I'm pretty much only running, so my swimming is going to suffer for a while (at least until my son is old enough to drop at the daycare at the community center pool).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not read through the whole thread, but I think the answer is it depends. I swim with a masters group, but am a front pack swimmer to start with. We do some stroke and technique work through the warm up and cool downs, but there is an assumed level of competence in that the coach isn't giving 1:1 attention - he'll just say do this drill or that drill and off we go.

We also do all four strokes, so some sessions will cover 1500m of butterfly for instance, or a backstroke focus. Again, if you aren't able to do all four strokes then you would struggle to join in in my club. If you are looking for stroke improvement, you are better off going for 1:1's with a good coach who can give you the focus and the attention you need. In a big masters team you may have 30 or so swimmers in the pool with 1 coach. This isn't going to give you the attention you need to make any meaningful progress.

I would suggest investing your time and money in 1:1 coaching instead of heading to a masters team and becoming even more disillusioned with swimming by getting lapped every 6 lengths.

The caveat to this is it depends on how crap we're talking. If you are able to hold 1:45 sort of speed for a 100 as a minimum then this is a whole different conversation to someone who drowns after 3 lengths.
Last edited by: Ironmike78: Sep 22, 17 23:48
Quote Reply

Prev Next