Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic?
Quote | Reply
and if more, was it the same as last year, where also more americans were in the DL sprint than were in ND Olympic?

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I can't find that answer easily. I suppose one could comb through the results for both races for the data.

In my AG (M55-59), 13 finished the DL Sprint and and 14 finished the Olympic.

BTW: The bike course was incredibly technically challenging. 30+ 90 or 180 degree turns. Thank goodness Mother Nature decided to shine on us instead of rain (as she did on the two pre-rides).

ETA: The relative counts was hard to eyeball based on the bike count. There was a split transition and the Sprint race was staged as the Olympic was underway. T1 was basically empty as we staged the bikes and many bikes had been removed from T2 as we finished.
Last edited by: HandHeartCrown: Sep 20, 17 9:14
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Just under 4000 people competed in the age group world champs. 2000 battled it out on the standard distance course, while 1600 stuck to the shorter sprint course." taken from THIS article.

Just age groupers seems to have been 4113 in both the Olympic and Sprint combined. 547 were American. 276 did the Sprint and 271 did the Olympic distance race.

You can download the results as a excel file which makes it easy to look for whatever stats you're after :)
Last edited by: ilanias: Sep 20, 17 9:35
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Because the Oly and sprint were on the same day this year, no one had the option to do both if they had qualified for both. That should skew the stats compared to previous years.
Last edited by: Mark Lemmon: Sep 20, 17 10:01
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [ilanias] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ilanias wrote:
"Just under 4000 people competed in the age group world champs. 2000 battled it out on the standard distance course, while 1600 stuck to the shorter sprint course." taken from THIS article.

Just age groupers seems to have been 4113 in both the Olympic and Sprint combined. 547 were American. 276 did the Sprint and 271 did the Olympic distance race.

You can download the results as a excel file which makes it easy to look for whatever stats you're after :)

Awesome. I just noticed the download button. Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [Mark Lemmon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wonder what question Dan is trying to answer. Another data point he can use is the Du races in Penticton. We had a DL and NDL race on seperate days, so folks could do both if they wanted. He could also look at the numbers at the DU Nationals.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [HandHeartCrown] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike course looked like it was designed by a 4-year-old with an Etch-A-Sketch.
Add in the speed bumps, ride up the stairway, the bridge that acted like a launching and it was a highly entertaining course.

#swimmingmatters
Laugh hard. Run fast. Be kind.
The Doctor (#12)

Quote Reply
Re: Sprint Worlds (AG) 2017: more or fewer than in Olympic? [LazyEP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
LazyEP wrote:
The bike course looked like it was designed by a 4-year-old with an Etch-A-Sketch.
Add in the speed bumps, ride up the stairway, the bridge that acted like a launching and it was a highly entertaining course.

I like that analogy!

I thought the course was fun to ride. Talk about variety of terrain. You really had to pay attention. The organizers dodged a bullet with the weather, though. The course would have been a disaster had it rained or been very windy. On the Thursday pre-ride, I felt like the 30+MPH winds were going to blow me over the Van Brienenoordbrug (the white span bridge at the far end of the course).
Quote Reply