Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
perfection wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
perfection wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What I want is the best I can be for my age and issues, comfortable, and still being able to run off the bike. If this means I sit up in the entire race, so be it.

But why do you have to sit up when as you said you can ride a 10 mile TT without any back pain.

That is not what I mean. I did say, if this means. I am not there today, but I see plenty of older folks who cannot bend over at all on their bikes, so if I am lucky to be alive
and race older, there will come a time that bending over will not be possible.

But I am saying that now, getting a flat back is just not in the cards, as much as I would love my back to be younger.

And why is it such much harder to get ones foot over the top?

Because the objective of the circular pedaller and PC user is not only to get the foot/pedal over the top but also to attempt to apply some forward torque to the crank in the process.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Amazing how things change. Doing testing daily for over 3 months. Then get hit real bad with this flu, and zero exercise. Comes so slowly and leaves so quickly. Oh well guess I could have it worse.

Hope everyone is healthy and getting ready for a great 2018 season.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Just FYI, most old folks lose flexibility, period. I do back exercises like 3 days a week.
Take this as just a suggestion, and not an attack (because it's not!): You have spent a good 3 hours a day running and riding, nearly everyday for the last 3 months, but you're only taking 3 days a week to address what you see as a serious limiter. Maybe you ought to look at changing that balance so as to address your limitations or at least minimize their effects.

h2ofun wrote:
Another reason I would never have a coach. I do not need someone, young, telling me that one does not need to have old age stuff. I would need a coach who understands that as one gets older, one needs to changes things like bike fit, to optimize what a person has, not scold them for not being able to do what a young person can.
My wife is a physical trainer who has, over the last couple of years, specialized in fitness training for older adults. Just because many of us are not quite as old as you does not mean that we cannot be aware of physical limitations. If you don't currently have one, maybe you SHOULD find a local PT that can assess your back situation and guide you on strengthening and flexibility exercises. It may be the most low-hanging fruit there is for your long term health.

h2ofun wrote:
This is why so many folks just do not get it. We all compete in Age brackets. Very very few will ever ever achieve the type of results I have over the years. Most will not
even be able to race if they get close to my age. I could care less about aerodynamic drag. What I want is the best I can be for my age and issues, comfortable, and still being able to run off the bike. If this means I sit up in the entire race, so be it. I still end up at the finish line much sooner than most folks my age do, even if they "beat" me on the bike leg.
By all indications you have a very highly developed cardiovascular system and a lot of innate running talent. It makes sense for you to make the most of it but you don't need to use it as a defensive crutch anytime people try to give you helpful input. Nobody here has suggested that you should sacrifice comfort or overall performance in order to improve your bike speed. But, you yourself have posted that you would be willing to sacrifice, say, one minute on a run in order to gain two on the bike.

Less is more.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
After being sick so bad and doing zero training for a week shall be interesting how things feel on Monday. I have to admit i sure love missing training days. This is why for me i need to do 7 days a week. Otherwise so easy to just take a day off then another....

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
perfection wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
perfection wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

What I want is the best I can be for my age and issues, comfortable, and still being able to run off the bike. If this means I sit up in the entire race, so be it.

But why do you have to sit up when as you said you can ride a 10 mile TT without any back pain.

That is not what I mean. I did say, if this means. I am not there today, but I see plenty of older folks who cannot bend over at all on their bikes, so if I am lucky to be alive
and race older, there will come a time that bending over will not be possible.

But I am saying that now, getting a flat back is just not in the cards, as much as I would love my back to be younger.

Did you ever consider the fact that aerobars use a more forward position of the rider on a bike, this extends the range of the dead spot sector at TDC, making it much more difficult to get your foot over the top if you are using the circular pedalling style and this difficulty would be magnified even further by the frequent use of PC's. How many of the worlds best cyclists are using the circular style with their aerobars.

I will let Frank talk on this, but I do strongly believe the use of Powercranks has helped my run, both times and not being hurt. I do not believe using powercranks has hurt my bike but how would one prove one way or another?

And why is it such much harder to get ones foot over the top?

Did Frank have anything to say about the difficulty in trying to use his Powercrank (extreme circular) pedalling style when sitting in a more forward aerobar position on the bike ?
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [perfection] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to go out on a limb and say it may be some time before you get an answer.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Kay Serrar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just to give everyone somewhat of an update (cause I know all of you have been wondering)...

I was checking out the Slowtwitch strava page and noticed Dave was on the leaderboard there. So I clicked on his name to check out his workouts. And it appears he is still testing different crank arm lengths on his virtual 10 mile TT course. The man has some dedication that's for sure.
Quote Reply
Re: My testing to try and find best crank length with my Velotron [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Or he is a case study for the DSM
Quote Reply

Prev Next