Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting this thread.

What have people heard?
Expectations?
Predictions?
Wildest fantasies?
New Shiv?

I'm guessing it's going to be pretty quiet on that front.

Reason: It's been a but of a tough last few years for the bike/tri business in North America. This is most often when brands as a default cut back on marketing spend and R & D spend - as a result new product releases get either buried, or pushed back!

I'm always interested to see what I see in Kona, during race week - not the micro things but the macro - IRONMAN of course is going big with the 40th Anniversary stuff, and rightly so. That is something to celebrate, and they want to throw a party, but as I mentioned, brands in the business have been struggling the past couple of years, so it will be interesting to see, what they do when they come to the party. Even in the last few years, leading up to this year, I've noticed a BIG cut-back in what some of the brands are doing in Kona during race week. For the past few years, I've been selling a significant media property, associated with the event, and the selling of that, property has become harder, and harder every year! This year it was like it dropped off a cliff!! Again - tell-tale signs of not the best times in a business at the macro level!

It's still going to be a great week and a great time for those who are there. The big things about Kona Race Week will all be there - The Ho'Ala Training Swim/Race, The Path 5K/10K Races, The Expo, The Kids Splash & Dash, The Under Pants Run, The Slowtwitch Party, The Bike/Gear Counts, and of course the big race itself! I'm looking forward to it!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In another thread on ST, there was a rumor circulating that a new Cervelo P5 disc would be revealed 'sometime around Kona'. There were even claims that it had been shown to insiders at a European corporate event recently.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Shiv for sure. Felt will prob bring their new disc IA.

http://www.TriScottsdale.org
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [NewbieTri100] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have a look at the coverage of Almere, Cam Wurf is on a new Pinarello with disc brakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

SteveMc wrote:
Have a look at the coverage of Almere, Cam Wurf is on a new Pinarello with disc brakes.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Man that is a sick looking bike!

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It's a "TT" bike, not a triathlon bike. That is the problem with Pinarello for triathletes, well that and the price tag...........

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Why does that matter? Sure doesn’t have loads of integrated hydration and storage, but a down tube botthe and bts gets you pretty far!

Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Downtube is historically the worst place to put a bottle. And have you seen the amount of stuff the average triathlete carries with them these days for Long Course Tri?

Why not include it? Well Pinarello didn't include it because Triathlon isn't their target market, they have made that pretty clear.

Not even sure if Wurf is on a deal from them direct or if it is just through his Sky connections.

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Well the bolide is designed to have a drag free bottle on the down tube.
But yeah most triathletes carry way too much stuff!
Wurf is sponsored, though of course his sky connections helped!

Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [SteveMc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SteveMc wrote:

Ok that's it. When an old school brand like Pinarello does disc on a TT bike, you know the future. In 3 years everyone, well maybe not Tom A, will be on disc brakes. I can't say I am happy about it, but I am guessing rim brakes just become a niche market for the weight weenie crowd.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
In another thread on ST, there was a rumor circulating that a new Cervelo P5 disc would be revealed 'sometime around Kona'. There were even claims that it had been shown to insiders at a European corporate event recently.

It might not be in Kona, but P5 Disc is coming and, if pre-order lists are of any indication, it might even replace the P5 rim altogether for next year.

----------------------------
Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [mrlobber] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pre-order list? Available already?
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [ARA18] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
In my country, yes. No mention of ANY P5 model in there except P5X.

Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

SteveMc wrote:
Is it me, or the angle, or is that a teeny-tiny looking bike?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
People are pre-ordering a bike that isn't even announced to the public yet.......Hmmmmm........Right......

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
People are pre-ordering a bike that isn't even announced to the public yet.......Hmmmmm........Right......

What are you talking about? As I said, in the lists there are no P5 models at all, except P5X, but my knowledge of upcoming P5 Disc comes from an entirely different source, unrelated to the local dealer.

Need more W/CdA.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:
@BW_Tri wrote:

What are you talking about? As I said, in the lists there are no P5 models at all, except P5X, but my knowledge of upcoming P5 Disc comes from an entirely different source, unrelated to the local dealer.

What am I talking about, I am talking about your quote above in the thread, which I have listed below............

mrlobber wrote:
It might not be in Kona, but P5 Disc is coming and, if pre-order lists are of any indication, it might even replace the P5 rim altogether for next year.

So you make it sound like pre-orders are being taken on a rumored bike, which you refer to as the P5 Disc, which has yet to be confirmed anywhere. So how would pre-orders be taken if the bike is not publicly released?

There are P5 models in the rim brake version, it just did not get an updated paint job this year, as it was just updated last year with matte/gloss black and yellow striping.........It is still on their site and available, so not sure what you mean by the P5 model is not available. Maybe your local shop just doesn't want to carry it?

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [grumpier.mike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
grumpier.mike wrote:
Ok that's it. When an old school brand like Pinarello does disc on a TT bike, you know the future. In 3 years everyone, well maybe not Tom A, will be on disc brakes. I can't say I am happy about it, but I am guessing rim brakes just become a niche market for the weight weenie crowd.

Precisely, however currently they're all silly money (i.e >$5000). So how long will it take an open mould seller, like Planet-X/Stevens/Rose etc., to request a disc variant of their standard offerings, put on a decent group-set, 50-60 front, 80-90 rear. That will be the market in a years time.

SteveMc
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

So you make it sound like pre-orders are being taken on a rumored bike, which you refer to as the P5 Disc, which has yet to be confirmed anywhere. So how would pre-orders be taken if the bike is not publicly released?

Allright, as a non native English speaker, my sentence construction probably left me misinterpreted, but the possible unavailability of P5 rim was a speculation.
If I was wrong - better for the traditionalist rim brake folks (including myself :) )

@BW_Tri wrote:

There are P5 models in the rim brake version, it just did not get an updated paint job this year, as it was just updated last year with matte/gloss black and yellow striping.........It is still on their site and available, so not sure what you mean by the P5 model is not available. Maybe your local shop just doesn't want to carry it?

Maybe. See the right side in the pic attached.

Need more W/CdA.
Last edited by: mrlobber: Sep 8, 18 9:06
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
mrlobber wrote:

If I had to guess (and this is purely a guess) it's that specific configuration with that groupset that's being discontinued (if, in fact, it really is). There's no eTap being offered on the 2019 P5x either... just Di2, so this may simply be a move to consolidate groupsets to Di2 for 2019.
Quote Reply
Re: Any new bike models to be previewed at Kona? [el gato] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
el gato wrote:
mrlobber wrote:

If I had to guess (and this is purely a guess) it's that specific configuration with that groupset that's being discontinued (if, in fact, it really is). There's no eTap being offered on the 2019 P5x either... just Di2, so this may simply be a move to consolidate groupsets to Di2 for 2019.

No, that is not the case according to their website...........Available in ETap and then Ultegra Di2, for the P5.

P5X you are correct.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/triathlon/p-series/p5/specs%20and%20geometry

-Brad Williams
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
el gato wrote:
mrlobber wrote:

No, that is not the case according to their website...........Available in ETap and then Ultegra Di2, for the P5.

P5X you are correct.

https://www.cervelo.com/en/triathlon/p-series/p5/specs%20and%20geometry

Yes, but AFAIK they have not made any announcement of 2019 P5 models (rim or disc) so this is still the 2018 P5 model on the website.
Quote Reply

Prev Next