Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING?
Quote | Reply
I've been having trouble using my Scoshe Rhythm+ HRM in racing (works great in training!); I don't use it on the swim since I'm afraid I'll lose it with my sleeveless wetsuit, but once I'm on the bike it seems to get confused and never pairs. I even tried skipping it for the bike and using it on the run only, but even then, it never paired - has happened to me in 3 separate races despite pairing no problem prior to the start of the gun.

Anyone using theirs successfully for race day?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it @ Choo 70.3......with no issues.

Paired with my 510 (bike) and the 920 (at that time) for the run.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used it on the run at IMNC last year. No issues. Garmin 910.

If you're using a 735/935 I hear there have been issues picking up sensors (mainly power meters) during a race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ditto to others. I have used it in multiple races. No problems connecting to my 735XT and Edge 520. (Though, my 735XT frequently will not pair with my power meter in races, while the 520 always does.)
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [nc452010] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Did you guys wear it on the swim, or leave it next to your bike in T1?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have both strapped it on under the wetsuit and put it on in T1, and in both cases my 920 picked it up fine.

I have noticed my Rhythm+ has been a little more wonky recently, mistaking my run cadence for my HR, usually during the beginning of a run, but occasionally later. I suspect the recent firmware update is responsible. It's still very reliable, though, these episodes are rare.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I hang it on my extensions and put it on while riding. So, it does not go live until about a couple minutes into the ride.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
I hang it on my extensions and put it on while riding. So, it does not go live until about a couple minutes into the ride.

Man, I totally did that (or similar) in 2 tris - prerace in T1, it was definitely paired to me, I even tested it with a quick run, and it was responding fine. Left it ON, right on my bike.

Right after the swim though, I started riding, put it on, and no dice - zero HR. I even messed with it a lot, turning it completely off while riding (not a particularly safe thing to do - luckily I was pretty alone, whew) and it wouldn't even recapture my HR. 2 separate races this happened.

I then decided that the bike would be too iffy, so I left it in T1 for the run - same thing, when I put it on for the run, it was 'lost' to my Garmin, and wouldn't even repair even as I turned it on/off during the run.

Weirdly though, it's super rock solid in training, and in the one race I did wear it on my arm during the swim (almost fell off!), it was fine the whole race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Which watch do you have?

I lost HR during the run in my first HIM last year. It was a total mind-screw. Turns out mine was a bad Ant+ antenna in my aging 910XT. But, it was a suckish time to fail. Still, that does not answer the question of why fine in training but not in race.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
Which watch do you have?

I lost HR during the run in my first HIM last year. It was a total mind-screw. Turns out mine was a bad Ant+ antenna in my aging 910XT. But, it was a suckish time to fail. Still, that does not answer the question of why fine in training but not in race.

Againg B&W 910xt that otherwise works completely perfectly in training for everything. Both HR & power are rock solid in training.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've used mine, putting it on in T1. Not sure how to put it in under a wetsuit...

It pairs fine but struggles to pick up an accurate HR when I'm already at 160. Takes 1 or 2 minutes to find my pulse. Don't get the problem when I start a ride or run with low HR.
Last edited by: MattyK: Sep 19, 17 21:33
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I use mine racing for HR on the bike (I use 235 now 735 for HR on the run). I wear it during the swim, and then turn it on for the bike, and never had issues with pairing.

I never lost one, but I'm not crazy about the velcro straps that it comes with. They just don't seem super secure. I use a spare velcro strap that I had from an old Garmin 610, which works great.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've worn mine under a (sleeved) wetsuit for several races and never had an issue. I turn it on before the start and make sure it pairs with the 920XT and Edge 520.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I've been having trouble using my Scoshe Rhythm+ HRM in racing (works great in training!); I don't use it on the swim since I'm afraid I'll lose it with my sleeveless wetsuit, but once I'm on the bike it seems to get confused and never pairs. I even tried skipping it for the bike and using it on the run only, but even then, it never paired - has happened to me in 3 separate races despite pairing no problem prior to the start of the gun.

Anyone using theirs successfully for race day?

yep, no problems.

T1: Strap it on, switch it on and the Garmin 5XX on bike that is already running picks it up no problem.
T2: Switch on running watch, socks, shoes, cap....by that time watch had picked up no problem.

As long as the Rythm had been the last sensor paired to the device, it is found immediately.

Did you pair other sensors after you used the Scoshe on the respective device?
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [mike_w] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
mike_w wrote:
I've worn mine under a (sleeved) wetsuit for several races and never had an issue. I turn it on before the start and make sure it pairs with the 920XT and Edge 520.

You're not getting it to record your HR while swimming, are you? I'm guessing there's no way that signal could make it through the water
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
Did you guys wear it on the swim, or leave it next to your bike in T1?

No. I didn't wear it on the swim leg.

I left it in my bike shoe and put it on in T1.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [niccolo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
niccolo wrote:
mike_w wrote:

You're not getting it to record your HR while swimming, are you? I'm guessing there's no way that signal could make it through the water

No HR while swimming, just one less thing to do in T1. At ~7 hours the battery life is fine for anything up to HIM, and for IM I have to find another solution anyway.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It is great for training - just keep in mind that it tends to read low for some people. For me it reads at least 10 bpm low no matter how tight I velcro it.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:
It is great for training - just keep in mind that it tends to read low for some people. For me it reads at least 10 bpm low no matter how tight I velcro it.

Huh, seems very accurate for me. For DCR, too.
Quote Reply
Re: Anyone using a Scosche Rhythm+ HRM for triathlon RACING? [alex_korr] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
alex_korr wrote:

Mine is definitely 100% accurate, at least compared to multiple Garmin HRMs I've used in the past.

Verified with 3 running races (5k, 5k, 10k) where I hit my definite HRmax, which was the same as my Garmin-measured ones 1-2 years ago, and my VO2max workouts are similar. It would be really, really noticeable if it was -10bpm lower.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Agreed. Wouldn't be very useful if this were true. And I'd have a hard time explaining how it could be consistently 10 bpm low, absent a glaring error in the firmware. The only issue I've had is occasionally it mistakes cadence for HR (which is understandable).
Quote Reply