Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
If given the choice between Wisconsin 70.3, Steelhead 70.3, and Racine 70.3, I can't think of why I would choose Racine 70.3.

Agreed, although I didn't do Milkman/WI70.3 yet. Steelhead is a much better venue and WAY better bike experience that Racine.

If you're already competing in the Racine/Madison area and don't need the WTC name, I highly recommend Superiorman a little further northleft. My favorite swim ever and probably the best run scenery I have seen at a midwest half. Other than the first and last couple miles getting in and out town, the bike was pretty good too. The few times this event pops up on ST, it gets love.

Been in Superiorman 3x and enjoy the event. New outdoor transition (had used the indoor hockey arena in the past) and pre-race meeting location this year. One has to wonder about their bottom line as the event does not sell out.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
dangle wrote:
If you're already competing in the Racine/Madison area and don't need the WTC name, I highly recommend Superiorman a little further northleft. My favorite swim ever and probably the best run scenery I have seen at a midwest half. Other than the first and last couple miles getting in and out town, the bike was pretty good too. The few times this event pops up on ST, it gets love.

Been in Superiorman 3x and enjoy the event. New outdoor transition (had used the indoor hockey arena in the past) and pre-race meeting location this year. One has to wonder about their bottom line as the event does not sell out.

They're not in the red on that race, but they are certainly doing it because of how much they love that race, not to become gazillionaires like WTC.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is sad.

I am an old MOP Participant, picking up this sport as a 45 year old, so take that as my perspective.

I did Racine in 12, 14, 15.....so did not have this swim cancellation issue that occurred in 16 and 17.

Also did IMOO in 12 and 15 as well as IMCDA in 13.

I was hoping to return and do the Racine / IMOO double again in 2018 after a couple year layoff.

This was for me always a great race, tons of fun, great swim in big water, good volunteer and community support on the bike and run. These positives offset a few miles of bad roads.

The other thing that always impressed me about this race was the level of Pros in the field. Saw great athletes like Carfrae, Piampiano, Naeth, Alexander, Starykowicz, Evoe, Sanders, Gerlach and more.....not sure if pros like this race, money was good, close to O'Hare or just fit into their respective schedules really well.

While there are some who pile on complaints about the roads.....the overall race I thought was great for the region and participants. Personally sad to see it go, probably a broad trend on decline in the sport overall.

Just my two cents.....sad to see this race go....Will assess the other events in this region for 2018......
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [Billyk24] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Billyk24 wrote:
dangle wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:
If given the choice between Wisconsin 70.3, Steelhead 70.3, and Racine 70.3, I can't think of why I would choose Racine 70.3.

Agreed, although I didn't do Milkman/WI70.3 yet. Steelhead is a much better venue and WAY better bike experience that Racine.

More big ups to superiorman. As an aside WTF was it with the coal fired train on the run course this year?!
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [Uncle Phil] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Uncle Phil wrote:
Yep...back in the "Spirit of Racine" days.

It was a much better race back then. 500-1000 participants with an elite wave was not so bad. 4x that once WTC took over turned it into a shit race.
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [1poseur1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1poseur1 wrote:
Billyk24 wrote:
dangle wrote:
mwanner1 wrote:

More big ups to superiorman. As an aside WTF was it with the coal fired train on the run course this year?!

I totally forgot about that. Maybe it was towards the end and I was busy stumbling around like a lunatic?
Quote Reply
Re: Looks like 70.3 Racine is done [apbadger] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
apbadger wrote:
DC numbers won't increase as they cap at 1000, but it will sell out faster. It used to sell out immediately, I think last year might have been the first time that wasn't case?

...right on queue, DCT announces registration is now opening Oct 16 instead of Jan 1. Strike while the iron is hot!

Scott
Quote Reply

Prev Next