Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Sprint triathlons [fey2k] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm just waiting for super sprint tri's to become popular :P So much fun going all out for 25-30 minutes!

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My club runs a kind of super sprint, 250m swim, 11k bike and 3k run.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joshawa wrote:
I'm just waiting for super sprint tri's to become popular :P So much fun going all out for 25-30 minutes!

I keep wanting to do HITS 'open' races but they're usually just kids... If they only had an adult wave vs. kid wave

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Mark Lemmon wrote:
As long as you're not racing in the "first time triathlete" division when you're not a first timer, or doing the kids fun run as an adult, there's no need to worry about finishing too fast in a race being a douche move. It's a race! I've competed at all distances and prefer the sprint distance currently for several reasons. A couple of times this summer I've thought about moving back up to the Oly distance next year because the training and racing wouldn't hurt quite as much, but we all know that when you are trying to go as fast as possible the pain is just different at a longer or shorter distance.

h2ofun wrote:
My experience is I know I lot of folks who will race a sprint when they are not really in shape. They can kick butt in a sprint, but will lose it for an Olympic.

Backhandedly putting down a poster who asks a sincere question. Classy Dave.

Nope, my comment has nothing to do with the OP. It was just an observation for the sprint races I do with my friends. They kick my butt in Sprint races. I cannot
make up the swim differences or bike with my run.

Your choice to read things negative when it is not stated that way.

Ergo, you could've written it like: 'I find that because I'm not a balanced triathlete, that I focus way too much on my run than my bike, that I can't compete in shorter events where my run doesn't compensate for my lack of bike performance' but again you didn't. Many lenses of perspective to view things through....
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my club doing that a few years ago. 300 yds, 5 miles, 1 mile.

No charge, local park, do one, rest a bit, do another, rest a bit, do one more.

All about 25 to 30 min
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Joshawa wrote:

I keep wanting to do HITS 'open' races but they're usually just kids... If they only had an adult wave vs. kid wave

I wish would do the "open" race the day of the 70.3 and their 140.6. If they did, I'd do an "open" on Saturday and a sprint or olympic on Sunday thus getting more value out of my trip.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [rock] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is the issue with social media today, IMO. Everyone loves to read other folks stuff half empty, and then snowflake them by saying how they should have written what they meant. :)

I am going to do a draft legal sprint tri in 3 weeks. Will get my buck kicked. :)

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
That is the issue with social media today, IMO. Everyone loves to read other folks stuff half empty, and then snowflake them by saying how they should have written what they meant. :)

I am going to do a draft legal sprint tri in 3 weeks. Will get my buck kicked. :)

You can now 'snowflake' someone?? You are a complete moron.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Joshawa wrote:

Me too!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:

No. This is not a social media issue. You continue to make posts with a passive-aggressive tone, that anyone with the reading comprehension of a 6th-grader would interpret as such. Then, you hide behind that ambiguity and call people 'snowflakes' for calling you out. Further, you annoyingly add a smiley face to bolster your claim of naivete.

Dave, MAN the FUCK UP and stand behind your posts' intent. In the highly unlikely event that far too many of your posts are routinely mistakenly misunderstood, please have a responsible adult proof-read prior to hitting the 'post' button. (To be clear, this is a dig). ...no smiley face...
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [Kentucky Mac] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kentucky Mac wrote:
There is no shame in a Sprint Tri. Going 100% for an hour+ is not easy and hurts like hell.

Agree,Also easier to finish a IM than podium in a sprint, 100% full gas is not easy
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [sixt3] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
sixt3 wrote:
h2ofun wrote:

No. This is not a social media issue. You continue to make posts with a passive-aggressive tone, that anyone with the reading comprehension of a 6th-grader would interpret as such. Then, you hide behind that ambiguity and call people 'snowflakes' for calling you out. Further, you annoyingly add a smiley face to bolster your claim of naivete.

Dave, MAN the FUCK UP and stand behind your posts' intent. In the highly unlikely event that far too many of your posts are routinely mistakenly misunderstood, please have a responsible adult proof-read prior to hitting the 'post' button. (To be clear, this is a dig). ...no smiley face...

This. H2ofun, one of the following is true:

1) You are a terrible writer and are oblivious to the tone of many of your posts.
2) You are completely oblivious to the concept of implicit vs explicit statements, or "reading between the lines".
3) You are a passive-aggressive little punk who enjoys getting little digs at people that you then disclaim with another insult.

The point is, ladies and gentleman, that speed, for lack of a better word, is good. Speed is right, Speed works. Speed clarifies, cuts through, and captures the essence of the evolutionary spirit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
Nope, my comment has nothing to do with the OP. It was just an observation for the sprint races I do with my friends. They kick my butt in Sprint races. I cannot
make up the swim differences or bike with my run.

Your choice to read things negative when it is not stated that way.

That has to do more with your ability to really crush a 5km run.. A 5k run is done at a harder pace than a 10k run. Maybe you should push yourself more in training! But I guess not everyone is willing to endure the suffering it takes to do a fast sprint triathlon as opposed to a more easier paced OD...

To the OP:
Sprint triathlons are every bit as much a triathlon as the full distance is. In the netherlands we even have a competition consisting out of sprinttriathlons and one OD, in which clubteams can battle it out ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [Majorawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I race primarily Sprint and Olympic distances because I enjoy them. I could care less about perceptions of them being easy. If you want to be good at them, then yes, train for it. I've found there's less margin for errors and things like transitions can be the difference in a podium or not.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed with the transition comment. Practice your transition and have it done in under 1 minute from swim to bike and under 30 seconds from bike to run. This has allowed me placings much higher than my actual swim, bike and run times.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Double-truth. Sprints, teach you to optimize transition. I still suck in transition, but I suck a lot less now. In every sprint I have done, my transitions were the difference in one or two AG podium places. In one race, I would have moved from 3rd AG to 1st AG if I had only done my transitions a little better-- not even great. I am now much better in transition, and it has benefitted me in HIM as well.
Quote Reply
Re: Sprint triathlons [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agreed re transitions. If your T1 and T2 times are outside of the top 5 you're unlikely to make the podium. One year at Fort Desoto I went with flat pedals and rigged up my race number in a plastic bag in one of my back pockets. I think my T2 time was like 19 seconds haha ;)
Quote Reply

Prev Next