Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor
Quote | Reply
Just got the Wheelbuilder Aerojacket and now need an adaptor so I can use it with my current wheel pump .

Anybody have suggestions?
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [JTNY] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Doesn't wheelbuilder include a crackpipe? Seems like they did when I bought a cover form them years ago.

--------------------------
The secret of a long life is you try not to shorten it.
-Nobody
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [mck414] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dude get the Silca one. I asked this very same question and since buying the Silca I literally use it every time I pump up any tire.
Pricey, but worth it..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Couple ideas:

The ones Flo / Zipp supplied for their respective discs got the job done. Though not sure if they sell them separately.

Silca makes a fancy one, if your root canal pipeline is robust.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Consider trying harder to make your pump head work w/o the adapter.

I have a >20yr old Zipp disc. It has a smaller opening for the pump then current Zipp discs. There's no way I can pump it up w/o an 90deg "crackpipe" adapter, not even close. I have a couple different front aero wheels and they are either "fine" or "not fine, but do-able" w/o the crack pipe.

The fact that the Zipp needs a crackpipe is a pita. I have an old school Silca pump and it likes the old crackpipe just fine. But it was down for a couple weeks so I bought a Lezayne, only to find that the crackpipe won't work with the Lezayne. So I bought a different kind of crackpipe, only to find that it won't work with either pump. Ultimately I replaced some parts in the Silca and got it working again so the crisis was averted.

But then I had to fly, for the very first time, to an event, last month. I needed a lightweight, small "travel pump". So I did the best I could to get a decent one, but, unsurprisingly, it doesn't work worth a shit with either crackpipe.

All of this forced me to realize that the crackpipe issue had me by the balls.

I think that I'm going to remove some material from my Zipp disc so that I can get a conventional pump head to the air nozzle. My suggestion would be to either mod your wheel cover so that you can use a conventional Presta air chuck, or figure out a way to finesse (twist, wiggle, etc) a conventional Presta air chuck on to the tube's nozzle.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Couple ideas:

The ones Flo / Zipp supplied for their respective discs got the job done. Though not sure if they sell them separately.

Zipp wheels ship w/ the $32 Silca "crack pipes", which can be bought separately.

no sponsors | no races | nothing to see here
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just pushed the jacket out of the way a little and used my regular pumps when I used the Aerojacket last year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JTNY wrote:
Just got the Wheelbuilder Aerojacket and now need an adaptor so I can use it with my current wheel pump .

Topeak Pressure Rite. $15. Twists onto the valve and hands-free.

Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [echappist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
echappist wrote:
JTNY wrote:

Topeak Pressure Rite. $15. Twists onto the valve and hands-free.

Thanks all for the advice,

I brought the Topeak just now!

https://www.amazon.com/Topeak-Pressure-Presta-Valve-Adapter/dp/B00GKH49GI/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1503434563&sr=8-1&keywords=presta+valve+adapter+disc

$15
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Couple ideas:

Silca makes the ones supplied by Zipp and probably Flo. They are something like $32. The fancy Hiro2 head is around $100.
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
gabbiev wrote:
Hirame--absolutely the best and worth the premium price.

So choice.

Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

I have a >20yr old Zipp disc. It has a smaller opening for the pump then current Zipp discs. There's no way I can pump it up w/o an 90deg "crackpipe" adapter, not even close. I have a couple different front aero wheels and they are either "fine" or "not fine, but do-able" w/o the crack pipe.

The fact that the Zipp needs a crackpipe is a pita. I have an old school Silca pump and it likes the old crackpipe just fine. But it was down for a couple weeks so I bought a Lezayne, only to find that the crackpipe won't work with the Lezayne. So I bought a different kind of crackpipe, only to find that it won't work with either pump. Ultimately I replaced some parts in the Silca and got it working again so the crisis was averted.

But then I had to fly, for the very first time, to an event, last month. I needed a lightweight, small "travel pump". So I did the best I could to get a decent one, but, unsurprisingly, it doesn't work worth a shit with either crackpipe.

I think that I'm going to remove some material from my Zipp disc so that I can get a conventional pump head to the air nozzle. My suggestion would be to either mod your wheel cover so that you can use a conventional Presta air chuck, or figure out a way to finesse (twist, wiggle, etc) a conventional Presta air chuck on to the tube's nozzle.

Which Leyzene pump did you buy? I think they use the same thread-on style pump end on just about everything. If you screw off the head and reverse it, you'll have a Shrader style valve adapter. All the Silca crack pipes use the Shrader threaded end. Most travel pumps are set up to either reverse the head like the Leyzene or if you pull apart the pump head you can usually reverse a gasket, etc. to get Shrader compatibility.
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

I travel with the Leyzne Travel drive pump and will sometimes use my older Zipp 900 disc with the small opening.....had the same issue. It's a great pump to travel with so I got a new hose and attached a crackpipe.....used a small collar clamp to ensure the connection....works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:

Which pump did you buy? I borrowed this pump from a guy who raced from Grand Junction, at Ironman Boulder...I was really impressed that it is set up for a disc wheel to start with. More impressive is its size and light weight. I'm going to buy one for travel myself-- I liked it so much & can fit in a backpack-- weighing in at 1.8 lbs it is barely there. They have a steel one as well for about $40 less that weighs in at 2.4 lbs.

http://www.lezyne.com/...vel.php#.WZzWxz6GNxA
Last edited by: Rocky M: Aug 22, 17 18:34
Quote Reply
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [Rocky M] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Guys, thanks for the responses.

Re. Silca crack pipe. Sorry, maybe I should have said that more clearly. My pump is an old Silca, but I don't know the brand of my favorite crack pipe. I just know that it works really well with the Silca. The crack pipe is not threaded at all so the screw on chucks, be they Schrader or Presta, won't work with it. The new crack pipe I bought is threaded so it should work with my Lezayne pump, but the new crack pipe doesn't stay on the tube nozzle worth a crap.

Re. Lezayne travel pump. Thanks, but I looked at one of those and it won't fit my old Zipp unless I cut away the carbon. Only a little crack pipe is small enough to get in there.

This afternoon I bought another crackpipe sort of thing off of Amazon. If it doesn't work well, I'm just gonna cut some carbon out of the disc wheel. This is a dumb little issue to be a cause of so much hassle. That what I get for going to a latex tube racing tire.

Books @ Amazon
Last edited by: RangerGress: Aug 23, 17 5:16
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lezyne pumps come with a crack pipe adapter (speed chuck). I works with their gold ABS thread on style heads. I use it for my disc and it works pretty well (and better than some other crack pipes I've tried)

http://www.lezyne.com/...chk.php#.WZzowK0ZPxg
Quote Reply
Post deleted by Administrator [ In reply to ]
Re: Need recommendation for disc wheel presta adaptor [gabbiev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good luck with the purchase. Just as an fyi, if you like the Leyzne travel pump, you are able to remove the standard thread on speed chuck and install any style/brand small crack pipe without cutting the hose. Again. I have the old style Zipp 900 clincher with the tiny opening (did some dremeling) and it works fine.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
quote JTNY]
echappist wrote:
JTNY wrote:

Topeak Pressure Rite. $15. Twists onto the valve and hands-free. quote]

Thanks all for the advice,

I brought the Topeak just now!
Me too.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply