Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Has anybody else experienced ankle pain only when running after biking?
Quote | Reply
Hey everyone -

This is my first post to the forum and I'm hoping somebody might be able to help me with a problem I've been experiencing over my first year of training. I have a running background and don't really have a history of ankle injuries apart from the occasional rolled ankle during a game of pickup basketball. During brick workouts and Triathlons, my ankles have been tightening up (simultaneously) about 2-3 kilometers into my run to the point where I have to stop and stretch them out, and then slowly, painfully jog or hobble the rest of the run.

The issue begins at the front of the ankles, then moving to the inside. Then they tighten to the point that I lose circulation / feeling in my feet and will have to run either on pins and needles or stubs, essentially. I've only experienced this ankle pain when running after biking - I was able to run a half-marathon a few weeks ago without my ankles blowing up...

I've asked around a bit and haven't found anybody who's heard of this particular nagging injury. Been working with a physio to stretch out the calf/ankles and to strengthen various muscles in the hip and leg to see if that might help, and I've tried adjusting the bike fit to see if maybe I'm putting too much pressure on them before the run. Nothings doing the trick yet. Has anybody experienced this? Would be grateful for any ideas or suggestions.
Last edited by: cdaellenbach: Aug 22, 17 11:48
Quote Reply
Re: Has anybody else experienced ankle pain only when running after biking? [cdaellenbach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to have a similar problem where my feet felt like they were being crushed by my shoes during the run, but only after biking hard. I finally figured out that my shoes were too tight and biking hard made my feet swell a bit. Not sure if that's your same issue, but try larger running shoes for triathlons.

----------------------------------------------------------
Zen and the Art of Triathlon. Strava Workout Log
Interviews with Chris McCormack, Helle Frederikson, Angela Naeth, and many more.
http://www.zentriathlon.com
Quote Reply