Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no?
Quote | Reply
Pretty self explanatory question.

If a short-course race happens during a built in recovery week, is it ok to race it or keep the week easy? Seems like a built in taper, but I want to be able to shed the fatigue before the next heavy cycle.

Thanks!

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [way2sloow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If you want to race, race.

It's not like you're preparing to go into space or something. All about what will be fun for you.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Scenario 1- The race is at the beginning of the recovery week. Do the race since you have the rest of the week to recover.

Scenario 2- The race is at the end of a recovery week. Do the race since you have likely already recovered and are getting a jump start on your next training block.

Note: All future scenarios will end with the same conclusion with only 1 exception. It's the scenario that says you don't want to race.

Take a short break from ST and read my blog:
http://tri-banter.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Makes sense. Thanks

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are you training for...........and what is the race you're questioning doing?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or, unless you are pro/semi-pro and training >20hrs, forget about recovery weeks altogether unless it is a taper for an A-race.
Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 22, 17 8:01
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stop taking recovery weeks.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Who said your recovery week needed to be a week?
Who said you even needed a recovery week?
Who said your recovery week had to be a calendar week?
Who said you can't race and still recover in that week?

If you can't recovery from a short course race in a few days you have much, much bigger issues then just racing during a recovery week.

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Why so much hostility? Is 500tss too low for a recovery week?

ETA: this is not solely pointed at Desert Dude

Last edited by: way2sloow: Aug 22, 17 11:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What??
My replies are much nicer and more informative from when I'd have just replied "use the search function" & left it at that.

ETA: there are a lot of solid 1-2 line answers in this post

Brian Stover USAT LII
Accelerate3 Coaching
Insta

Last edited by: desert dude: Aug 22, 17 13:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
way2sloow wrote:
Why so much hostility? Is 500tss too low for a recovery week?

ETA: this is not solely pointed at Desert Dude

Just because people are disagreeing with your approach to a recovery week does not make them hostile. I read most people's answers and I am seeing a lot of experienced folks say the same thing. No need for most people to scale back in the traditional "recovery week" way. It's not hostility. Try reading it a different way.

Team Zoot
2019 Sponsors: Canyon Bikes, Garmin, Smith Optics, Gatorade, Zealios Skin Care & Sun Protection, Speedfill Products, Base Performance, Ottolock, Theragun, Boco Gear, ORR Carbon Wheel Systems, Giddy Up Multisport
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would say race first off. Secondly I would also take a look at your training and see if you really need a recovery week. I think that is what most are pointing at. I am pretty much around 12-15 hours a week and the only time I have "recovery" weeks are if we are transitioning after an A race to another build. But I have built in recovery days, pretty much every Monday, which is a swim and maybe an easy ride. Obviously I don't know how your body reacts to your training so it might need more recovery time. But if it does take a week to recover from 3 weeks of training I would rethink the training schedule to allow more recovery within each week.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
What??
My replies are much nicer and more informative from when I'd have just replied "use the search function" & left it at that.

ETA: there are a lot of solid 1-2 line answers in this post

For some reason, I still feel like Frank will chime in slathering us with how PC would ENSURE this chap is recovered with the latest technology in half the time... ;-)
Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [jrielley] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think recovery week needs to be defined here. I'm not sure he's saying he took the entire week off, is he? I take recovery weeks but it's normally just an extra rest day that week and/or some slightly shorter workouts but still maintaining intensity.
Quote Reply
Re: Coach slowtwitch, race on recovery week or no? [mickison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well to me a recovery week is a week of a lot lower volume. So say I am training 12-15 hours a week, a recovery week might be 7 hours but probably similar frequency just a lot less volume.

Twitter - Instagram
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have done this on occasion, raced at the end of a recovery week. Most times I have poor races. My legs have gone into recovery mode, they feel sluggish and flat. I did however reduce a fair bit of intensity during that week so they lost a bit of pop..... I think it all depends on what your recovery week looks like.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok, I'll walk that back. Hostility was a poor word choice and obviously I was reading the responses from an inaccurate frame of reference.

I was unaware easier weeks between large build cycles is an outdated practice.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here is a nice picture. You want to be the 2nd guy down.

Last edited by: knighty76: Aug 23, 17 2:48
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Recovery weeks originated in the BTF when they tried to reduce the number of injuries that the athletes were suffering from by introducing an easier training week in every 4 week cycle. It became entwined in coaching folklore and became the recovery week. Its rarely needed for armatures unless the cumulative effect your your training, professional life and home life requires it. I can guarantee unless you are training over 20 hard hours a week you do not need one.

Nothing but nothing beats consistent training over a period of time. The only real exception is if you are injury prone and know that a 'recovery week' will prevent illness or injury. If you are not getting injured or ill you do not need a 'recovery' week - as you don't need to recover. More likely you would benefit from spreading your training load out more evenly and dropping the notion of the need for a recovery week altogether.

If you are not feeling too tired - do the race :-)

He who understands the WHY, will understand the HOW.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tim Hola just did it at USAT nationals pretty well and kicked my butt!

2018 Races: IM Santa Rosa, Vineman Monte Rio, Lake Tahoe 70.3
Quote Reply