Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Michelin Pro 4
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I've been running Pro 4's this year. Just got a sizable puncture when inflated I can see the makeshift candy wrapper boot I put in on the road. I'm assuming the tire is toast... Now I have IMMT coming up in less than a month and so far with the exception of today I've been pretty happy with the Pro 4's to date. Was I just unlucky today or is this the norm with this tire?

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro 4 [Jloewe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've had some bad luck with Michelins a while back, including a 35 mph sidewall blow out in a crit. I got lucky and it was on a straight and I stayed up.
I went with Continentals and haven't looked back. GP 4000 on my road bikes and Supersonics on the TT rig. Contis roll better and in my experience are less prone to cuts. They are cheap on Fleabay too, about 35 bucks delivered.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I like the Specialized Roubaix Pros 23/25.

ST had an article a year ago and the Specialized are bit slower than the Conti 4000 but puncture resistance (my testifying one) seems to be better and the are more comfortable on the wider rims.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to be a Pro 2, 3, 4 guy. The only problems I ever had with them were a couple of sidewall blowouts... (one 28km after installing the tire out of the box, blew the tube, and resulted in a 1.5" tear in the sidewall. I returned the tire as defective). I switched to Veloflex tires because the LBS I deal with started carrying them, and find they roll as well as the Michelin (they corner better, especially in the wet), but without the sidewall issues (although they are a nightmare to mount the first time, had to sacrifice a few tubes in that process (bead is super tight, in hindsight I should have mounted them without tubes on a set of rims and let them stretch for a couple of days before adding the tubes...), but after that, it's pretty easy to change tubes, and no issues to report, and I've used them for the last season and a half).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to use these tires on my bikes. Had two sidewall blowouts and many punctures. Switched to GP 4000 a few years ago. They had zero blowouts and very few punctures. Besides they roll better.

Anyway, you should replace the tire. It is only $50-70 That's nothing compared to the cost of everything else. And you should replace them with GP 4000.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Hi,

I've been running Pro 4's this year. Just got a sizable puncture when inflated I can see the makeshift candy wrapper boot I put in on the road. I'm assuming the tire is toast... Now I have IMMT coming up in less than a month and so far with the exception of today I've been pretty happy with the Pro 4's to date. Was I just unlucky today or is this the norm with this tire?

I'm super cheap and just don't bail on tires. I have had a few sidewall cuts that I patched with the Park Tire Boots and then preceded to run down to the cords. obviously if safety is concerned that is one that is one thing. Would NOT use it as a race tire any more though.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro 4 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Been on Michelin tires since the early 90's! I can only recall one sidewall cut/flat incident in all those years. I have had issues with inner tubes tearing around the valve location as one just happened yesterday. Now racing on Michelin Competition tires which (data) indicates score "higher" than most think.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've got between 3-4k out of each of 4 sets of Pro4 that I've run (4 season weather). More robust than the top tires out there, but not as fast. If you don't have a set of raceday tires (Corsa Speed), then the new Michelins are a good shout. Otherwise GP4000SII are a good shout.
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro 4 [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Hi,

I'm super cheap and just don't bail on tires. I have had a few sidewall cuts that I patched with the Park Tire Boots and then preceded to run down to the cords. obviously if safety is concerned that is one that is one thing. Would NOT use it as a race tire any more though.

It's actually dead center on the tire. About half a cm long, maybe a little less. But all the way through the casing. I saw how deep the gash was and picked up some a snickers bar wrapper off the ground just to get me home as a makeshift boot. Will a Park Boot or something a little more permanent work for a training tire? I hate to waste all that rubber.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Jloewe wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Jloewe wrote:
Hi,

It's actually dead center on the tire. About half a cm long, maybe a little less. But all the way through the casing. I saw how deep the gash was and picked up some a snickers bar wrapper off the ground just to get me home as a makeshift boot. Will a Park Boot or something a little more permanent work for a training tire? I hate to waste all that rubber.

I have never had a casing cotton right down the middle, only used the boots with sidewall cuts. It might be a lumpy but that shouldn't matter on the trainer. Great place to burn some rubber.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just said F* it and went for attack/force on a Nashbar sale. Long ago I almost went that way but got lazy and scared and didn't buy pricey race tires. I actually calculated in the long run it's cheaper to wail on a decent set of training tires that are dirt cheap and race on pricey ones.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi,

I'll go with my own experience then.

I only use Michelin Tires. I used michelin pro 4 service course since their beginning. I raced 5 Paris-Roubaix granfondo with the michelin tires. My first 3 years I didn't have any problem with them (I even used the same tires two years in a row). Two years ago I had a flat, and this year I used the new Michelin Power service course that replace the pro 4 and I had a flat at the back but it was due to too much pressure in the tube.

It's the 23mm version.

I have on my TT bike the Michelin Pro 4 service course comp limited. I don't know if they ever went to sale for the public but they were fast, but didn't last more than 2000km.

Never had any sidewall blow with them
Quote Reply
Re: Michelin Pro 4 [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I switch back and forth between Conti GP4000s and Mich Pro 3 and now 4 depending on which one is on sale at the time. I remember when the Pro 4 first came out and I got a pair that did not last long at all, but around that time others were complaining with a short life and the Service Course version came out. (I hope I am remembering that history correctly) Anyway I have had fairly good results from the Pro 4 Service Course.

I tend prefer the Conti GP4000s when I can get them on sale. Just to keep things equal I had a GP4000s II blow out the bead a few weeks ago (could not be repaired) and had to make a 5 mile walk back to the car. This is the only time this has ever happened with that brand for me so I ordered two more new GP4000s II.
Quote Reply