Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Salem/Eugene, OR OWS
Quote | Reply
Found an old thread from 2007 on Eugene reservoirs for OWS (Cottage Grove & Dorena) but I wanted to pose the question again in case those places aren't popular for OWS or if any of the below listed are better. I need a good lake for long distance OWS close to Salem ideally, but Eugene also works. A handy website listed the below regarding general swimming but I can't find much information on what would be best for long distance OWS. Anyone have some info here?

Detroit Lake State Recreation Area
Three Pools Day Use Area
Fern Ridge Lake
Cascadia State Park
Fall Creek State Recreation Area
Cottage Grove Lake
Dorena Lake

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
2024 Races: Taupo
Quote Reply
Re: Salem/Eugene, OR OWS [hadukla] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Detroit is probably best, close to Salem and large enough to spread out boat traffic some. There's also Foster and Green Peter upriver from Albany & Sweet Home, which would be closer from Salem than Eugene (Cascadia is near there, but I think upstream from Foster). Another one in the Eugene area is Dexter (namesake of the Dexter Lake Club of Animal House fame, for today's dose of trivia).

Of those, I'd rate Fern Ridge near the bottom even though it's among the most accessible ~ Lots of boat traffic this time of year in the deeper parts near the dam, and the upper shallower sections are awfully brown & mucky compared to the lakes/reservoirs on the other side of the valley in the Cascade foothills.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem/Eugene, OR OWS [OneGoodLeg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks! I saw one triathlete somewhere mention Detroit as well. I'm sold.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
hadukla wrote:
Found an old thread from 2007 on Eugene reservoirs for OWS (Cottage Grove & Dorena) but I wanted to pose the question again in case those places aren't popular for OWS or if any of the below listed are better. I need a good lake for long distance OWS close to Salem ideally, but Eugene also works. A handy website listed the below regarding general swimming but I can't find much information on what would be best for long distance OWS. Anyone have some info here?

Detroit Lake State Recreation Area
Three Pools Day Use Area
Fern Ridge Lake
Cascadia State Park
Fall Creek State Recreation Area
Cottage Grove Lake
Dorena Lake

I would also add Foster and Green Peter past Sweet Home. Boat traffic picks up around noon, but they are very calm during the mornings. Hagg Lake is about an hour away from Salem, and half of the lake is slow/no wake. All three have clear water. If you are feeling adventurous, you can always hop in the Willamette. It looks like you have at least an hour drive to get to some OWS. Have you thought about the ocean?

Oui, mais pas de femme toute de suite (yes, but I am not ready for a woman straight away) -Stephen Roche's reply when asked whether he was okay after collapsing at the finish in the La Plagne stage of the 1987 Tour
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
USMS has held events in Hagg Lake.
Foster Lake is supposed to be really nice.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Re: Salem/Eugene, OR OWS [Dr. Tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
There are several of us in the Salem area that use Silverton reservoir. No power boats and about a mile and a half end to end. Just swam there Monday. Let me know if you ever are looking for someone the swim with. I have swam at Detroit several times. It can be windy and lots of boats but is an option. Cottage grove lake is good also where the Rolf Prima Tri is this weekend.
Quote Reply
Re: Salem/Eugene, OR OWS [pastorjeff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Awesome, thanks everyone! We'll be there for the eclipse weekend so as it gets closer I'll see if anyone is free to join. My fiance is still a beginner so I am faster but I am by no means a fish (maybe 20-25s/100m faster than her...for now) so it would be great if we can swim with a group then!

Re: Ocean swim... Considering we'll be leading up to Maine 70.3, that may not be a bad idea, but maybe just one of the days as it sounds like the lake options are great and closer.

808 > NYC > PDX > YVR
Last edited by: hadukla: Jul 20, 17 16:22
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Silverton Reservoir is perfect. Power boats are not allowed and the lake is never crowded. There is a dock that can get crowded and parking on the weekends is pretty tough, but if you swim in the mornings it is perfect.
Quote Reply