Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [ThisFarmingMan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisFarmingMan wrote:
But 60 minute power can be a suitable proxy, so Hamish' question is relevant and meaningful. He did not claim FTP to simply be equal to 60 minute power. :)

Not if you can only maintain FTP for 30 to 40 minutes, in which case FTP would be underestimated.
Last edited by: Trev: Sep 2, 17 4:11
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Trev] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So this continues;)

Genetics load the gun, lifestyle pulls the trigger.
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [sciguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hilarious

Seems like many assumptions being made. Many take a percentage of a short effort or ramp test as an indication of FTP. 75% of 3min power or the Max Min Power test.

This is where the Fatigue Resistance metrics in WKO4 become quite handy. A high mFTP and 30-40min Time To Exhaustion can tell a story.

We have that here in Christchurch with short steep hills and riders who do maximal efforts up them but don't go as hard on the flat for longer durations. One chap rode a 25km TT at a lower power than his mFTP. Another chap did a 20min effort and a 40min effort and saw his mFTP increase with a TTE of 60min. For racing a Normalised Power target for the first chap would be much lower than the second chap.

Biggest thing I see with these short tests or estimates based off such short is a overestimation of FTP. Easy to spot in WKO4 if you look at the fatigue resistance metrics.

sciguy wrote:
So this continues;)

Hamish Ferguson: Cycling Coach
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yes, a high mFTP and Time To Exhaustion of 30 to 40 min can tell a story, that FTP defined as quasi steady state power for approx 60 minutes is utter garbage, yet for over a decade idiots thought that is what FTP was.

So what was the original definition of FTP? Obviously it was balderdash and things have moved on, yet people are selling apps which assume FTP is the power one can maintain for approx 60 minutes in a quasi semi state. But then, new FTP has moved on and FTP is the power one can maintain for anything from 30 to 70 minutes.

As New FTP is the equivalent of MLSS, people should go and get a proper power / blood lactate test and establish hard facts, instead of relying on snake oil.

Kiwicoach wrote:
Hilarious

Seems like many assumptions being made. Many take a percentage of a short effort or ramp test as an indication of FTP. 75% of 3min power or the Max Min Power test.

This is where the Fatigue Resistance metrics in WKO4 become quite handy. A high mFTP and 30-40min Time To Exhaustion can tell a story.

We have that here in Christchurch with short steep hills and riders who do maximal efforts up them but don't go as hard on the flat for longer durations. One chap rode a 25km TT at a lower power than his mFTP. Another chap did a 20min effort and a 40min effort and saw his mFTP increase with a TTE of 60min. For racing a Normalised Power target for the first chap would be much lower than the second chap.

Biggest thing I see with these short tests or estimates based off such short is a overestimation of FTP. Easy to spot in WKO4 if you look at the fatigue resistance metrics.

sciguy wrote:
So this continues;)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
More hilarity. And your confidence in lactate testing is based on what?

But seeing you are neither a coach or a sport scientists what is any of your sad ramblings based on?

Does internet trolling pay well!

Trev wrote:
Yes, a high mFTP and Time To Exhaustion of 30 to 40 min can tell a story, that FTP defined as quasi steady state power for approx 60 minutes is utter garbage, yet for over a decade idiots thought that is what FTP was.

So what was the original definition of FTP? Obviously it was balderdash and things have moved on, yet people are selling apps which assume FTP is the power one can maintain for approx 60 minutes in a quasi semi state. But then, new FTP has moved on and FTP is the power one can maintain for anything from 30 to 70 minutes.

As New FTP is the equivalent of MLSS, people should go and get a proper power / blood lactate test and establish hard facts, instead of relying on snake oil.

Kiwicoach wrote:
Hilarious

sciguy wrote:
So this continues;)

Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [Kiwicoach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 I suggest you ask those that link FTP to MLSS why they have confidence in blood lactate testing, see below.

"As noted, MLSS is an exercise intensity that can typically be sustained for 30 to 70 minutes. Since FTP is a simplified tracking metric of MLSS, it has the same sustainable time range (not specifically one hour, as often stated by others). Since this roughly corresponds to the duration required to complete a 40km time trial, the latter provides an excellent estimate of power at MLSS, especially when you consider how flat the power-duration relationship is in this region. In addition to improved metabolic fitness being reflected in a higher power at MLSS/FTP, however, training also tends to improve the duration that exercise at this intensity can be maintained."

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...tion-metric-in-wko4/

Kiwicoach wrote:

But seeing you are neither a coach or a sport scientists what is any of your sad ramblings based on?

Trev wrote:

Kiwicoach wrote:
Hilarious

sciguy wrote:
So this continues;)
Last edited by: Trev: Sep 2, 17 15:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No, I asked for your thoughts. Do you have any of your own? Then I suppose when you are just troll, not a coach or sport scientist then all you can do is parrot others.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to try and bring this issue to rest, once and for all, if I may.

For the moment, forget the idea that FTP represents some power that can be sustained for some duration. Instead, think of FTP as the power that represents some level that, above which, the work rate cannot be sustained without having the athlete accumulate fatigue and eventually reach exhaustion and below which the athlete is able to recover from fatigue. In Xert, this is simply Threshold Power (TP).

In Xert, we also introduce another parameter that detemine how much capacity you have above TP. This is called High Intensity Energy (HIE). And we also add in your highest power possible - Peak Power (PP). With these three parameters, called a "Fitness Signature", Xert models your fatigue as it increases with efforts above TP and decreases with efforts below TP, ultimately defining how much power you have available at any given moment - Maximal Power Available (MPA).

An athlete's Fitness Signature remains remarkably stable from ride to ride. This is great since the changes in Fitness Sigature variables are small, when efforts to exhaustion are performed, and we can readily see how your fitness signature parameters move up and down with trainig load. We can spot progress as the changes are in very many cases tied to the amount and type of training an athlete has been doing. Your Fitness Signature therefore becomes a set of variables that can be used to *define* your fitness level.

So how do we tie TP to other values that appear to be analogues, namely FTP or CP? We've seen the debates that have raged over how FTP and CP compare. If you use the Xert Fitness Signature calculator (https://www.xertonline.com/calculator), it takes 3 maximal, constant work rate efforts and determines the Fitness Signature and from the Fitness Signature, will plot out a power duration curve. This process is *not* a regression but a *solution* to the three points provided.

What you'll notice however, is that if you replace a data point with a very high power - 2000W for 1 second - the model mimics the 2-parameter CP model. But as soon as you reduce the 2000W to something more realistic, TP drops below the same value calculated for CP. So where there have been assessments as to how long CP can be sustained, TP would exceed that duration *whatever that duration may be*.

So how long can one sustain TP? To answer that question, we also have to ackowledge a couple of other phenomenons that we see in the data. Firstly, the prevalence of 1-hour efforts that end where our model-derived MPA and power meet at some value near TP is *extremely rare* in regular ride data. One might argue that our MPA isn't modeled correctly but the most likely reason is that athletes are simply unwilling to spend 1-hour at slightly above TP such that MPA drops over the course of the hour. In Xert, we introduced the concept of Difficulty Score as a way to quantify how hard an effort is to complete and a 1 hour effort slightly above TP has a very high Difficulty Score, suggesting that most atheltes would give up well before. Note that *giving up* means that they still had the capacity to continue but chose to stop or to reduce power below TP to avoid the discomfort. We also see that handling this discomfort improves with training, i.e. as traiing load increases, so does the athlete's capacity to handle greater difficulty increase.

The second factor is that TP and HIE (PP not so much) are affected over longer durations. We see them declining in order to determine MPA. With a declining TP over a 1-hour effort, this has the effect of reducing MPA for constant work rate efforts that we don't currently model in Xert. This is something we plan to add to the software.

In conclusion, if one simply looks at historical power data, it would be extremely rare to see a 1-hour effort that would have an average power near our model-derived TP. If this is how you choose to define FTP, then yes, TP overestimates FTP every time. In Xert, we use our fatigue-based model to look for a power level that is sustainable and determine this value using a consistent and repeatable method. We believe this is similar to how many athletes and coaches use FTP in training and thus see our TP and FTP as being the same in this respect. This value *could* be sustainable by the athlete for roughly an hour but the likelihood of this happening is limited by the athlete's willingness to endure the discomfort. Many think that they couldn't sustain our derived FTP for an hour when what they really mean is that they *wouldn't want to*.

Trev wrote:
I suggest you ask those that link FTP to MLSS why they have confidence in blood lactate testing, see below.

"As noted, MLSS is an exercise intensity that can typically be sustained for 30 to 70 minutes. Since FTP is a simplified tracking metric of MLSS, it has the same sustainable time range (not specifically one hour, as often stated by others). Since this roughly corresponds to the duration required to complete a 40km time trial, the latter provides an excellent estimate of power at MLSS, especially when you consider how flat the power-duration relationship is in this region. In addition to improved metabolic fitness being reflected in a higher power at MLSS/FTP, however, training also tends to improve the duration that exercise at this intensity can be maintained."

https://www.trainingpeaks.com/...tion-metric-in-wko4/

Kiwicoach wrote:

Trev wrote:

Kiwicoach wrote:
Hilarious

sciguy wrote:
So this continues;)

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see it as two types of performance analysis. One pushes athlete to perform lots of short intense efforts to chase a higher threshold number that does not relate to actual long term endurance performance. The other pushes on to develop a base of fitness, a threshold number that relates to endurance performance, and the fatigue resistance to perform in endurance events. I know where I am putting my money and directing the cyclists who work with me in endurance events from 10s to three weeks!

Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [baronbiosys] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just thought I'd revive this thread and give some kudos to Baron Biosystems on their app's accuracy. I have been using it pretty consistently to test my FTP with efforts around 5-7 minutes in length, and today I did a formal 20 minute FTP test to verify the app's accuracy (or my results from the shorter efforts).

I have done probably 5-6 "FTP Tests" with the app, chasing KOMs on Zwift on Box Hill (London) and the Volcano Climb (Watopia). Those efforts are anywhere from 5:50 to 6:30 and my wattage ranged from 420W to 433W on the climbs.

My most recent test on the platform was last week, climbing the Volcano in 6:29 at 433W (TrainingPeaks File: Volcano Climb), which the app estimated an FTP of 365W.

For my formal test today on Zwift, I held 381W for 20 minutes, resulting in an FTP of 362W (TrainingPeaks File: FTP Test).

The app was 3W higher than my classically tested FTP by 0.83%. Beyond accurate in my opinion. I'd opt for a 6:30 sufferfest over a 20 min TT any day.

All power is driven off my Tacx Neo, though I also ran my Powertap P1s alongside the Neo for the formal test, and they were lower by a whopping 2W (0.67% difference).
Last edited by: TriowaCPA: Dec 27, 17 6:55
Quote Reply
Re: Xert Real-Time Garmin Connect IQ App [TriowaCPA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriowaCPA wrote:
Just thought I'd revive this thread and give some kudos to Baron Biosystems on their app's accuracy. I have been using it pretty consistently to test my FTP with efforts around 5-7 minutes in length, and today I did a formal 20 minute FTP test to verify the app's accuracy (or my results from the shorter efforts).

I have done probably 5-6 "FTP Tests" with the app, chasing KOMs on Zwift on Box Hill (London) and the Volcano Climb (Watopia). Those efforts are anywhere from 5:50 to 6:30 and my wattage ranged from 420W to 433W on the climbs.

My most recent test on the platform was last week, climbing the Volcano in 6:29 at 433W (TrainingPeaks File: Volcano Climb), which the app estimated an FTP of 365W.

For my formal test today on Zwift, I held 381W for 20 minutes, resulting in an FTP of 362W (TrainingPeaks File: FTP Test).

The app was 3W higher than my classically tested FTP by 0.83%. Beyond accurate in my opinion. I'd opt for a 6:30 sufferfest over a 20 min TT any day.

All power is driven off my Tacx Neo, though I also ran my Powertap P1s alongside the Neo for the formal test, and they were lower by a whopping 2W (0.67% difference).

Thanks TriowaCPA. Feels like a knife to the heart everytime I read about someone doing an FTP test. Thanks for helping spread the word. Note that the latest iteration of Xert's algorithm incorporates some of the things we've learned from the What's My FTP? implementation. Users should see better analysis. So even if you don't have a Garmin device, using our web app will also provide you similar values for your FTP. Cheers.

Armando Mastracci, Founder of Xert, an advanced data analytics and training platform. Blog, Podcasts
Last edited by: xert: Dec 27, 17 9:15
Quote Reply

Prev Next