Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Tag-along / Ride-along Bikes
Quote | Reply
Hi all,

I'm looking to get my 3 1/2 year old a tag along bike (ride along bike?). He's reasonably proficient with his push bike, and is just starting how to work the pedals on his pedal bike. But unless we're going under 2k or for a walk, there are times where we feel like we need a bit more for him. We have a chariot stroller that attaches to the bike, but he's quite active and can only last so long in the stroller before he gets bored.

Does anyone have any experience with these? Is the cheapo version fine or should we spring for more? At what age did you start putting your kids on these? He's only 3 1/2 but he's tall for his age so fits into normal 4-5 year old things.

As an example of what I'm talking about, here's the cheapo version.
Last edited by: timbasile: Jul 18, 17 18:03
Quote Reply
Re: Tag-along / Ride-along Bikes [timbasile] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had one of these that I got from my non-cyclist, non-triathlete brother, so I'm sure it was probably fairly inexpensive. I can't say for sure, but I think I probably started lugging my son around on it when he was about 5, but probably could have started earlier, as long as you trust them to not fall off. The coupling mechanism on the one we had was such that the kid didn't have to truly balance. It would be better if the kid did balance, but in the early days the trail-a-bike would flop a few inches to one side or the other. My son really enjoyed it, and it was quite the improvement from the bike trailer we had, as he got to participate in the ride (to some extent) rather than just being a passenger. Highly recommended.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
when my daughter was younger we used a weehoo .. I'll let you google it... I think it might have sold atleast 10 of them...I had some many ppl stop me and ask about it the company should have gave me a cut.
Last edited by: spntrxi: Jul 18, 17 19:21
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think the cheapest ones can sort of get locked tilted to the side and freak out the kid.
I got a Trek one off of Craigslist that's very ok. Supposedly the gold standard is the burley piccolo, but needing a bike rack was a deal killer for my bikes.
In actuality, we wound up using it less than I hoped. Hope you get more mileage out of it.
Quote Reply
Re: Tag-along / Ride-along Bikes [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
We have a weehoo and it's great. When she was that age we felt a little more comfortable with our daughter strapped in vs. just sitting on a normal tag-along bike and she loves it.

Last edited by: Uncle Phil: Jul 18, 17 23:25
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I think we started our son around 5 or 6 on one, I have seen the mec version and we had the Adams ( I think version), I think the only age restriction is the not to fall off age, our son didn't. We used it quite a bit and they held up fine. As to cheap or expensive just look at how much play is in the connector, the cheap will be fine but there might be a lot of play that will let it flop over farther which isn't great. The mec version had more play than the Adams but was ok I wouldn't want more than that.

As an aside one of my sons favourite early biking memories is having the cops tell my wife and him to slow down on the path one day when they were riding into day camp one day.

Oh and look used they last well and most only get 2 or so years out of them. We likely put close to 500km on ours and it was still like new when we sold it.

Ben
Quote Reply
Re: Tag-along / Ride-along Bikes [spntrxi] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
spntrxi wrote:
when my daughter was younger we used a weehoo .. I'll let you google it... I think it might have sold atleast 10 of them...I had some many ppl stop me and ask about it the company should have gave me a cut.

I had looked into Weehoo, and in Canada they're prohibitively expensive for whatever reason ($399 usd vs $699 CAD is one hell of an exchange rate) for a turbo. I'll see if I can get a used one though.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have two Weehoo's that I need to sell, make the trip to Phoenix and we will make a deal. We bought two of the larger singles that can be combined to make a double, as well as the canopy's for them (needed in the Phoenix sun).

The good with Weehoo:
- Narrow compared to a trailer
- Kids can pedal or not,
- Kids can fall asleep without falling out
- Super solid build...you can (and I have) take it mountain biking
- Can accommodate much bigger kids than a trailer...my 7 year old would still be fine in it.
- Can carry backpacks and laptops and stuff, made a great school/work commute bike for me and my son.

The bad:
- nothing supporting it, if you stop it is hard to keep it from falling over. My wife hated it because of this and only rode with it a few times. Strapping the kid in, or getting off the bike to hand him a cookie, can be difficult.
- similarly, if your kid decides to dance around he can greatly affect the handling of the bike. As our kids got older this became a real safety issue and we stopped using it in our double/tandem configuration primarily for that reason...I didn't like putting the safety of my entire family of four in the hands of a 5 year old (we most often rode it as a double attached to our tandem bike). Imagine cruising down a hill at 30mph and your kid decides it would be fun to throw his weight side to side to rock the bike as much as he can over and over....this actually happened to us more than once and it is was pretty hard to keep the tandem under control. This wasn't as much of an issue riding a single bike where I can balance better than with a tandem, but it might be hard for smaller or less experienced riders to deal with.
- hard to turn around in small areas like a driveway or garage...super long train.

These "bad" items are probably not specific to Weehoo but any tag-a-long would have similar issues, although the Weehoo being bigger and heavier, and with more "room to move" for the kid, they are most likely exasperated. Overall I like the product but for someone small like my wife it didn't work well for her to use by herself.
Quote Reply
Re: Tag-along / Ride-along Bikes [Dapper Dan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the feedback. I suspect that the balance issue is with just about everything but a 2 wheeled trailer.

I don't think I have a reason to visit Phoenix, but if ever I do I'll send you a message. (I'm from Ottawa so it's a tad far)
Quote Reply