Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Low Ankle Pain
Quote | Reply
When I'm on a recovery week, or have a few days between runs, I develop a nagging ankle pain below the "ankle bone" or lateral malleolus. When I'm running consistently, its fine. Any clues on what I'm dealing with? Is it serious enough to see someone, or can I keep working through the season while icing it and worry about it in the fall if it's still around?
Quote Reply
Re: Low Ankle Pain [Stephensjer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Not a doctor....can't really comment on your specific issue or its mechanisms (and meaning) of delayed onset.

My own personal experience with pain that that specific area has always been due to overuse, and it never got better on its own without significant rest...and, ALWAYS got worse (eventually) without. I've had so many experiences like that over the years that I'm probably somewhat paranoid about it at this point, and may err on the side of seeing an ortho when its probably NOT warranted.

So, if it were me (and it has been many, many times)...I would rest it until the pain goes away (probably cycling extra to stimulate blood flow in the area), and then slowly return to easy running following a BarryP type of approach. If it didn't resolve within two weeks, I would make an ortho appt. (In reality, I'd make the ortho appointment for two weeks from now, and then cancel if it got better).

That said, my issues have always manifest DURING running. So, your situation with it only occurring on recovery weeks...is certainly different. Nevertheless, I'd probably assume it was still a similar type of thing, and treat it the same.

Btw, I've also given up pain-relievers of all types for exercise related injury. If I need NSAIDs or analgesics for pain, then I skip any activity---for fear of masking a newly developing ache.
Quote Reply
Re: Low Ankle Pain [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the thoughts. I'll give it some more rest and try to throw in more swimming and cycling to offset it. It takes a lot for me to take any pain meds...I've always viewed muscle soreness as my body doing its job of recovery. I don't want to waste it!

The part that throws me on this pain is that it comes after time off, and not during the run.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:
When I'm on a recovery week, or have a few days between runs, I develop a nagging ankle pain below the "ankle bone" or lateral malleolus. When I'm running consistently, its fine. Any clues on what I'm dealing with? Is it serious enough to see someone, or can I keep working through the season while icing it and worry about it in the fall if it's still around?

Your description sounds a lot like mine. My right lateral malleolus swells and is tender, especially the "bottom" of the malleolus. If I am running, I do not feel it at all. Its only when I am not running that it becomes noticeable. I figure its a strained tendon/ligament down there. I need to refresh my anatomy of the area.
Quote Reply
Re: Low Ankle Pain [eye3md] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yup! That's exactly what I have going on. Are you doing anything to take care of it? Or just training through.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Obviously n=1 here and I'm not a doctor but when I had the same sort of pain and I could usually get it to subside with some basic but persistent stretching / massaging / rolling my glutes, hamstring, and calf.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had similar ankle pain when I was logging a lot of running miles -- ultimately, dropping my mileage somewhat and getting into a shoe with more stability helped (I went from a Nike Flyknit One to a Saucony Guide... made a big difference).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:
Yup! That's exactly what I have going on. Are you doing anything to take care of it? Or just training through.

For most injuries, I'll stop running completely, but with this one I am not as concerned. I have continued to run and have not changed my training in any way. I just ran 8 miles yesterday and today, sitting here at my desk, I feel no pain and have no noticeable swelling. With it being inconsistent on when it hurts, or doesn't (except when I am running and it does not hurt), I feel like its more an irritation at times than anything else
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It might be peroneal tendinitis, for the reasons mentioned above. All of the recommendations are good. Some gentle stretching and a heel lift might help, too.

Dr Jay
http://www.Tri-Pod.net
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have almost the same type of pain in my ankles as well and it's really been bothering me a lot more this year. Not quite sure if it's been because I'm running more on roads vs trails or if it's just too many ankle injuries catching up to me.

Here's what doesn't work:
Not using the ankles. Rest makes it worse, a lot worse. Cycling. I love the bike and am riding more this year but it doesn't really help the problem, but at least it doesn't make it worse.

This is what helps:
Walking, especially taking long strides. Stretching exercises and massage are all good. But the thing that helps the most is soaking my feet every night that I can in hot Epsom salt water. I get it as hot as I can stand it and soak for 20-30 minutes or until the water starts to cool down. Don't know if it's the heat or the Epsom salt or both but it works. The Epsom Salt is actually magnesium so there could be some muscle relaxant properties there. I'll also use some Voltaren gel and rub that in before going to bed. If you're not familiar with that it's a prescription medication and is actually a NSAID that is absorbed through the skin. I've found it to work well for tendonitis.
Quote Reply
Re: Low Ankle Pain [aikiman44] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
aikiman44 wrote:
It might be peroneal tendinitis, for the reasons mentioned above. All of the recommendations are good. Some gentle stretching and a heel lift might help, too.

Thanks! I'll give those things a try. Switched over to heat today. I think ice was making things worse.

surroundhound wrote:
I had similar ankle pain when I was logging a lot of running miles -- ultimately, dropping my mileage somewhat and getting into a shoe with more stability helped (I went from a Nike Flyknit One to a Saucony Guide... made a big difference).

This is basically me. I've only started running again in the last year, so I'm still trying to find the right shoe. I got fitted, but I'm a little suspect of my current shoe (Brooks Ravena). I still have some mileage left in them, so i've been reticent to drop them. I think i'll try to switch to the shoes I have put away to replace them (Asics Gel Cumulus) a little early and see if that helps.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
aikiman44 wrote:

Thank you for this. Not that you need my confirmation but I believe you hit the nail on the head.

Here's an interesting article regarding peroneal tendonitis:

https://runnersconnect.net/peroneal-tendinitis-tendonitis/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Stephensjer wrote:

Stephensjer, how's your ankle??? I finally had to go to the sports Med doc. I thought I had peroneal tendonitis but it turned out to be lateral impingement. Hope you are healing
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for checking back!! I switched shoes and lowered my mileage a week or two and it's fine. I think I was in shoes that either hit their mileage limit, or were the wrong fit to begin with.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yep thats what it sounds like. Warms up ok. At rest sore.

Need to SMR the anterior shin dont touch sore area work above up to knee.

Isometric exercises on peroneals and glutes.

Andrew Garwood
http://www.2xu.com
http://www.newtonrunning.com
http://www.ascendsport.com.au
Quote Reply