Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Better Alternative to Silca RVC Extensions?
Quote | Reply
Tire pump simply can't grab on to these things. I have tried 7 different pumps at this point (including taking it to two different bike shops). Initially I thought it was the Silca disc wheel adapter (crack pipe), however I am on my second one of those and have tried it with other adapters as well. Even on the front wheel I can't enough bite to inflate the tire without two people and a lot of four letter words. The only thing that works is a very bulky after market pump head I have that basically grabs onto the extender body way down past the valve - that obviously won't cut it with a disc wheel.

Anyway, fed up with them and looking for something better. Any recommendations?

"It's good enough for who it's for" - Grandpa Wayne
Quote Reply
Re: Better Alternative to Silca RVC Extensions? [flynnzu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting. I've never had an issue with mine and I'm using a Specialized pump. Have you tried contacting Silca? Are your extensions sized correctly and are not too short?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Better Alternative to Silca RVC Extensions? [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not contacted them about the valve extenders. I am assuming there is nothing wrong with them - I (along with a few other folks I have had help me) am just for whatever reason incapable of using them without a huge headache. Until I put the disc cover on I never noticed the issue because I was using my over sized pump head that worked. I've had them for over a year at this point but just started using the disc wheel cover in the past month.

I did try to contact them when I thought the issue was the disc wheel adapter. If I recall correctly, they assumed I was using it wrong (might be correct) and referred me back to the retailer who sent me a replacement.

As a note, I like Silca. In fact I was a backer for the T-Ratchet + TI-Torque Kit and love that thing. They make some cool stuff. My intent here is not to trash them in anyway - just looking for a potentially better alternative. Maybe something with a longer threaded section that a pump head or the wheel adapter can latch onto?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What depth is your wheel, what size is the valve on the tube, and what size is your extenders?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Front Wheel - Flo 60 (62.77mm), Vittoria Latex (51mm), Silca 34mm extension - total length = 85mm

Rear Wheel - Flo 90 (94.8 mm), Vittoria Latex (51mm), Silca 60mm extension - total length = 111mm

Plenty of valve sticking out (if not too much). The valve extensions came with the Flo wheels at their recommended length for use with 48mm valve stems.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ok just wanted to make sure. I double checked the size chart and your extensions are correct. I would give Silca a call.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I might do that assuming no one comes up with an alternative suggestion to try. Maybe they can provide a dummies guide to inflating your tires for me.

Last edited by: flynnzu: Jun 26, 17 11:41
Quote Reply