Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:

Not tried the shoes in pedals style. Frankly I think that is unsafe.

Unsafe for those who are inexperienced? maybe. Unsafe overall, absolutely not. I've seen way more mount line pile ups from people running to the line and stopping to get on their bikes or to put on their shoes, than i have seen from people running through their line and hopping on their bikes with the shoes in the pedals. Maybe I'm lucky, because i never learned any other way, when I first started out, my training partners were all accomplished racers so that was the example that i worked from. The first year it was a step on to one shoe, and coast to mount, a year later I was doing a two step mount, and after that a flying mount. The only danger comes from inexperience and trying to get into your shoes right away, better to get momentum going first, then it's easy to hold your line as you get into your shoes... And the flying dismount is a no brainer (I see homeless guys do it at the beer store with a garbage bag full of empties in the basket of a rust bucket), with minimal practice it is a skill that pretty much anyone can master.
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

Not tried the shoes in pedals style. Frankly I think that is unsafe.

Unsafe for those who are inexperienced? maybe. Unsafe overall, absolutely not. r.

Basic fundamental is you are not using the equipment as it was engineered, or designed to be used. I am hardly a veteran but of the races I have watched, I've seen two pros go down pretty hard, and Simon Whitfield crash out of the Olympics. All because of feet-out-of-shoes-on-pedals.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [stevej] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stevej wrote:
You don't need socks for an olympic and shorter.

I was bleeding after a sprint.

Not sure if it started on the bike or on the run. Started hurting on the run...

:(
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Totally agree - locklaces are the best. and no socks - especially for a sprint tri.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've never seen a pro on ITU circuit (or short-course race) not mount with the shoes on the pedals. It's faster and not just by 2-3 seconds, if you are proficient. It's not debatable.

If you can safely ride a bike, while steering with one hand, then you should be able to safely mount with your shoes clipped in, assuming you get the appropriate practice. If you don't want to, that's fine. If you're not worried about giving up time in transition, fine. But it's faster.

John Hartpence, Athlete & Coach
tripence@gmail.com, @coachpence
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SharkFM wrote:
Trauma wrote:
SharkFM wrote:

Basic fundamental is you are not using the equipment as it was engineered, or designed to be used. I am hardly a veteran but of the races I have watched, I've seen two pros go down pretty hard, and Simon Whitfield crash out of the Olympics. All because of feet-out-of-shoes-on-pedals.

Tri style cycling shoes are designed for exactly that... that is why the strap opens away from the chainrings (as opposed to a normal cycling shoe, where the straps open towards them)... that is also why there are heel loops, both for using elastics to keep shoes level, and to grab with your finger while riding to slip your foot in (some models even have double heel loops now, one for elastics, and a larger one for grabbing to slide your foot in while riding)... So I would argue I am using my gear exactly as it was engineered for...

Also Whitfield did not crash-out because his feet weren't in the pedals, he crashed out, because the other rider half-wheeled him and clipped the foot of a metal barrier and swerved into his wheel... In a pack setting you should never be half-wheeling (and also should be aware of hazards, such as fence feet...)... (I've had no issues getting into my shoes, even in draft legal racing, I just wait to do it until I am on the back of the group, and make sure not to overlap wheels...).

As an athlete, spectator and official, I have been at many ITU events, and it is virtually non-existent that you will see an elite race without their shoes pre-clipped into their pedals (you will see some at 70.3/IM races, but not on the ITU circuit). Not everyone will do a flying mount, you still some step and sling and two step mounts, and even the odd stop and straddle, but everyone has their shoes in their pedals, because it is the fastest and most efficient way to transition, and is generally quite safe.

Where you see the crashes are where people haven't practiced using those approaches, and typically they try to get their feet into their shoes while moving too slow to hold their line, rather than getting momentum first... Or that haven't practiced their mounts and jump too high or low (or not practiced them with bottles in their behind the seat cages, and don't clear the bottles with their hop...)...
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [tripence] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I agree it's faster given you are using current shoe and cleat technology. There is that risk, one that I personally think is nuts. A great workaround but bonkers really.

So what I did was address the cleat issue by apply a wholly new system /technology. I redesigned "clip" so you can run in your bike shoes, pedal safely on both sides of the pedal as well.

Therefore I am probably as fast as any shoe combination out there, its lighter (no cleat and spring hardware) and more low profile and aero to boot!

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Best Laces & Socks for Fast Transition Times [Tri-Banter] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
maybe not so much in local sprints, although I have personally missed AG and OV podiums by mere seconds, usually with stupid time trial starts. But in more competitive races, like AGNC, it does matter.

There are a bunch of examples from the 2016 AGNC sprint and oly races where 1-2 seconds improved your finishing position in the top 25. And yes it matters in the top 25 if someone wants to have a shot to go to short course world championships. M25-29 winner was decided by 3 seconds. Personally, I finished 2 seconds ahead of the guy behind me, and 14 seconds behind the guy in front of me and missed 10th place. 2 seconds decided the winner of F20-24, with 3rd another 6 seconds behind. in the sprint 9 seconds between 1 & 2 in M25-29, M50-54 2 & 3 decided by 1 second.

if you want to scan the results...
http://jms.racetecresults.com/...mp;RId=211&EId=1
Quote Reply

Prev Next