Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [SuperDave] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
buzz wrote:

oooh very clever call us haters. who cares about arguments? its the 90's! spin spin spin!

Certainly not everyone is a hater. The new Strada is way out in front of a movement, one that will end with many 1x drivetrain options and disc brakes on the majority of carbon road bikes. It won't happen overnight, but it'll happen.

-SD

/\ /\ This.

I agree completely with Dave, in 5 years we'll all be on 30mm tires, 1x and discs for almost everything...and we'll love it.

J

http://www.SILCA.cc
Check out my podcast, inside stories from more than 20 years of product and tech innovation from inside the Pro Peloton and Pro Triathlon worlds!
http://www.marginalgainspodcast.cc
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [joshatsilca] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
All - one .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [sausskross] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some facts with no alternatives for me where I live and what I love .. "maintaiming" liquids ore squeezing doesn't count as riding .. 28mm measuring tires on wide rims is pretty enough for the roads in my hood .. because of the various uphill rhythms and the fast pushing downhills there every lack of gears ore meters count in getting lost .. 1x just doesn't support two different shaped chain wheels ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Aug 23, 17 22:07
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Bonesbrigade wrote:
cobra_kai wrote:
Damn that fork clearance is tight. How big do those tires measure on those rims?

Yeah, that's pretty damn tight - I have a teammate that has the 4000s 28s and they measure around 30mm on a rim with an internal width of 20mm.

I'm really failing to see the draw for this bike - it's way too niche in my opinion. If you already have a good aero road bike and real gravel bike, then this bike is kind of in no-mans land. The 3T bike might make sense if it's your only bike, don't have a tonne of hills, and your gravel roads are really smooth where you don't need much volume - kind of limiting.

Why can't this replace my current aero road bike? That's not no man's land -- it's just a change to disc brakes and 1x and wide clearances as a design imperative.

If this thing has a 10-40T -- and that, for me, is the deciding factor -- then it can handle some serious hills with 1x. And the brakes actually stop the bike when it's raining. And the rear brake won't rub the wheel, get stuck with debris, etc. And most importantly, it is hawt.

I don't understand what's hard to understand. It is in fact an aero road bike. In no way is it a gravel bike (see: Exploro).

I don't know about you but I've about had it with no-stop rim-braking road bikes with oppressively narrow clearances and all these extra components and drag and weight associated with the antiquated double chainring technology.

Like the other guy said, take my money already
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It will be even better when they come out with their new cassette, which is almost certainly a 1x12. I'd wait for that.

'It never gets easier, you just get crazier.'
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, really tight clearance on the fork. I imagine it wouldn't be long before I'd get loose rock stuck in there scratching up the paint. Nice looking bike though.

So the big question is, now that they have a gravel bike and aero road bike, when is 3T coming out with their triathlon bike? With Gerard and Super Dave working together it'd be a shame for them to not go down that route...

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
Bonesbrigade wrote:
cobra_kai wrote:
Damn that fork clearance is tight. How big do those tires measure on those rims?

Yeah, that's pretty damn tight - I have a teammate that has the 4000s 28s and they measure around 30mm on a rim with an internal width of 20mm.

I'm really failing to see the draw for this bike - it's way too niche in my opinion. If you already have a good aero road bike and real gravel bike, then this bike is kind of in no-mans land. The 3T bike might make sense if it's your only bike, don't have a tonne of hills, and your gravel roads are really smooth where you don't need much volume - kind of limiting.

Why can't this replace my current aero road bike? That's not no man's land -- it's just a change to disc brakes and 1x and wide clearances as a design imperative.

If this thing has a 10-40T -- and that, for me, is the deciding factor -- then it can handle some serious hills with 1x. And the brakes actually stop the bike when it's raining. And the rear brake won't rub the wheel, get stuck with debris, etc. And most importantly, it is hawt.

I don't understand what's hard to understand. It is in fact an aero road bike. In no way is it a gravel bike (see: Exploro).

I don't know about you but I've about had it with no-stop rim-braking road bikes with oppressively narrow clearances and all these extra components and drag and weight associated with the antiquated double chainring technology.

Like the other guy said, take my money already

I guess I'm looking at this from my own perspective a little too much - I already have an aero road bike. Yes it has rim brakes, but where I live and the riding I do, I can honestly say I've never felt the need for disc brakes. Sure, it could replace my aero road bike, but that seems like a massive expenditure for very little in return. If you already own an aero road bike, this won't be an N+1 bike or me, and I'm sure many others. Not to mention, I really would miss not having a two chainrings - I use a 50/34 and an 11-28 on the back and the extremes of this gearing do get used - plus the gaps at the bottom of the cassette are not annoying. I also swap in an 11-32 when needed.

I have another bike that is very similar to the Exploro and that bike fills the void for larger tire excursions.

Like I said, this is mainly my own opinion, but teammates of mine share very similar views.

I doubt this will compel anyone who already owns an aero road bike to get rid of their current bike and buy this instead, but for those in the market for that type of bike it's a legitimate contender. Especially if it gets 12 speeds to mitigate some of the gaps in a 1x setup. Of course I'm also assuming it's going to be expensive AF based on the Exploro pricing.
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [cobra_kai] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:
I doubt this will compel anyone who already owns an aero road bike to get rid of their current bike and buy this instead, but for those in the market for that type of bike it's a legitimate contender. Especially if it gets 12 speeds to mitigate some of the gaps in a 1x setup. Of course I'm also assuming it's going to be expensive AF based on the Exploro pricing.

It is ironic that the top thing I hate about my S5 is the tight tire clearance that doesn't allow any options for larger tires and now the former Cervelo engineer went and did the same thing with the wide tire aero bike version:( I'm sure it is optimized, but giving up some optimization to allow for tire options would be preferred for me. This comes from someone on an Open U.P. that has not used the S5 most of the season. I could swap both for this new bike, but I'm never going back to something with super limited tire clearance!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cobra_kai wrote:

I agree. If you are in the market for an aero road bike and you are convinced discs make sense for you, AND the gearing makes sense for you, AND the price isn't insane, then this could be the bike for you! This also assumes the 3T is just as aero as a similar rim brake bike (or close enough while getting better braking).

cobra_kai wrote:

30.4mm wide at the fw and 30.6mm at the rw with the config of the pics ..

edit:typo

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Aug 25, 17 6:52
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only 30 mm? I would say it's inaccurate for 3T to claim this bike has 30mm tire clearance then. I wouldn't be comfortable running with that amount of clearance unless the angle of the picture is making it look worse than it is.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah, not a fan. I prefer disc brakes and thru-axles, so that's not the problem.

1. I have trouble with $4K for a stock, mass produced in Asia frame but that's me.
2. The frame barely has room for 28s based on the pictures I've seen. This is a disc bike, give it room for 40s. Why not? Aero concerns?
3. 1x on a road bike makes little sense. I don't understand the appeal.
4. Rattling internal cables.
5. Creaking press fit BB.
6. Fiddly non-round seatpost with one of those expanding wedge clamps that don't really work.

So this bike isn't for me.
Last edited by: hiro11: Aug 25, 17 7:36
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Conti GP 4000 SII is a high volume tire .. it is 95% as tight as it looks on the pic .. the downtube is a bit shaped like a v where it is close to the fw and the gap at the fork crown is darken because of the downtube behind ..

___/\___/\___/\___
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
cobra_kai wrote:

It is ironic that the top thing I hate about my S5 is the tight tire clearance that doesn't allow any options for larger tires and now the former Cervelo engineer went and did the same thing with the wide tire aero bike version:( I'm sure it is optimized, but giving up some optimization to allow for tire options would be preferred for me. This comes from someone on an Open U.P. that has not used the S5 most of the season. I could swap both for this new bike, but I'm never going back to something with super limited tire clearance!

The 3T EXPLORO is lighter than your S5 and fits bigger tires than your UP. The Strada is NOT a "Gravel" bike although it may be perfect for the cobbles and other surfaces vs. any other aero bike.

-SD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SuperDave wrote:
SummitAK wrote:
cobra_kai wrote:

The 3T EXPLORO is lighter than your S5 and fits bigger tires than your UP. The Strada is NOT a "Gravel" bike although it may be perfect for the cobbles and other surfaces vs. any other aero bike.

-SD

I'm not sure what either of your points does to answer with the lack of tire clearance on the Strada. It looks like the S5 and it has never made sense to me that a 23c tire on the S5 sands all the paint off the frame and continually pulls up road grime, leaves and other junk. I can see that happening with the Strada too. Just add on some of the new extra wide aero wheels and fatter tires.

I didn't say anything about the Strava being a gravel bike. My point was that a tweener bike would be much more valuable to me than having both an aero road bike and a gravel bike.

I pretty much adhere to the time honored ST tradition of aero trumps weight. So paying $1,500 for the LTD and UPPER frame weight reductions options has no appeal to me. I didn't like that approach when Cervelo used it for the S5 and I don't like it for Open or 3T. I did have the Exploro option when I bought the UP and skipped it because I didn't like the seatpost clamp design or the white/red paint.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Dave - do you have an idea of the maximum inflated diameter of tire that works (practically) with the Strada?

I have a set of ENVE 4.5 ARs which have a very wide 25mm ID and am trying to figure out if these will work with the Strada / what tires would be ideal.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Dave - do you have an idea of the maximum inflated diameter of tire that works (practically) with the Strada?
I have a set of ENVE 4.5 ARs which have a very wide 25mm ID and am trying to figure out if these will work with the Strada / what tires would be ideal.
Thanks

I used an 18mm inner width rim and some 28c Schwalbe Durano tires this past weekend on a 100km gravel road race on it. There was no evidence of paint damage. In theory a tire with 30mm cross section will fit in the frame but in practice it can pick up small debris items and scratch the paint. Our demo bikes we used at the launch of the bike were 28c tires that measured just over 30mm at 80psi. There was evidence of paint damage on some models but I'm unsure if it was the conditions the bikes were ridden in or the likelihood that some inflated the tires over 80psi.

If you keep the tires to 28mm section (25c?) you'll likely find enough room for safety/clearance.

-Dave

https://www.kickstarter.com/...bike-for-the-new-era
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the response Dave. Quick Q - why roll the Strada on the gravel ride and not the Exporo?
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [davews09] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
davews09 wrote:
Thanks for the response Dave. Quick Q - why roll the Strada on the gravel ride and not the Exporo?
In this case the road conditions were dry. I just happened to be travelling for work with stops in Chicago at SRAM with my Strada. Coincidentally there was a big purse criterium in downtown Detroit on Saturday and a gravel road race on Sunday so I figured, why not. It wasn't the ideal bike but I often say "gravel is where you ride not what you ride". I find that if you ride the front of the race you can sight and select the smoother line and avoid some of the hazards of the road. You can also enter and exit the turns at your own pace and avoid the surges. In this case, because of some luck with the conditions I wouldn't have been better off with my EXPLORO and the nearly 25mph average speed ensured the 52t single ring wasn't too much on the mostly flat parcours.

Saturday: https://www.strava.com/activities/1176510610
Sunday: https://www.strava.com/activities/1177868649

-SD

Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

https://www.bikerumor.com/...t-trek-equinox-born/

Want: 58cm Cervelo Soloist. PM me if you have one to sell

Vintage Cervelo: A Resource
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [doublea334] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The frame is now available. Who is getting one now?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Today I had a lot of fun during a 2 hours test ride on a Strada .. and if the specs of the Strada are on your wish list, go for it .. and be prepared to ad some miles to your ride, it really goes .. and the cornering is stunning easy & fast .. oSo >>

___/\___/\___/\___
Last edited by: sausskross: Sep 23, 17 11:18
Quote Reply
Re: New 3T Aero Road bike [arby] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
arby wrote:
The frame is now available. Who is getting one now?

The guys at Aqua Blue Sport just got in line.
https://www.aquabluesport.com/...ith-3t-for-2018.html

-SD

Quote Reply

Prev Next