Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help!
Quote | Reply
I've built half a dozen bikes, so I'm somewhat experienced in this department, but this one baffles me.

SRAM Red (road shifters), 10-speed, not the yaw version. Not a tremendous amount of miles. I moved this groupset from an older frame to a new R3 frame.

I setup the high and low limits perfectly. I put it in the stand, on 52x11 and shift up. I tighten the barrel until it shifts up and stops clicking around. I shift up and down the cassette, everything seems fine. Until I get near the top of the cassette, one gear from the top. It grabs the chain, and tries to shift it up to the largest cog.

Ok, tension is too tight. So I loosen the tension until the 2 biggest cogs are working correctly. But then back down towards the 11-tooth cog, it shifts like garbage again. It's always either too loose or too tight, with no in-between. I can set it up to work perfectly with the smallest cogs, or with the largest cogs, but no in-between.

I'm using new cables, newish cassette, and pulled on the cable while shifting to confirm the cable is moving smoothly. Hanger seems straight and tight. I'm not sure what to do next.

Thanks guys and gals for any input.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hanger is out of alignment
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
Hanger is out of alignment
This.......
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What the other guys said.
I too work on my own bikes, and this tool is a good one to have. Your riding buddies will appreciate borrowing it too!

http://www.artscyclery.com/...escpage-PKDAG22.html
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yup. Unfortunately, the hanger alignment tool is $70 from Park tool, and there are almost no good alternatives tools.

I had the exact same problem you did, and wasted 2-3 hours of my life trying everything, fiddling with cable tension, all the limiter and B-screw, and never could get it 'just' right. Figured at that point, my time was worth well more than $70, so I got the tool.

My hanger wasn't even that off, but it did require 5 mins of fine adjusting to get it pretty much perfect with the tool. Once the hangar was perfectly in line, everything worked perfectly - no special cable tension required, no special tricks. You definitely will need this tool.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dangit. Well, I guess $70 is way less than a new rear mech. Thanks everyone for the input; An out of whack hanger makes a lot of sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't messed with the SRA'M 10 speed mechs in a while, but going from memory the RD was very sensitive to cable routing at the clamp bolt. It's prolly worth double checking yours to make sure you have it in the corrrect path around the clamp bolt and aligned as recommended.

But never a bad thing to have a hanger alignment tool around.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You haven't mentioned the B-spring adjustment, have you adjusted that?

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DarkSpeedWorks wrote:
You haven't mentioned the B-spring adjustment, have you adjusted that?

Thanks, yep, I adjusted that as well, and even re-adjusted it trying to figure out the wackiness. The top pulley is definitely at the right length from the largest cog.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm going to pile on with derailleur hanger and I didn't know about this tool... I can see how it measure alignment, but what do you do to straighten it?

Have a TT bike that I know the hanger is a little off.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
xeon wrote:
I'm going to pile on with derailleur hanger and I didn't know about this tool... I can see how it measure alignment, but what do you do to straighten it?

Have a TT bike that I know the hanger is a little off.

There's a good youtube video on how to use it by the Park tool guy, just google it.

Basically, you just use bend the tool in the right direction to straighten things out. Hard to explain but really obvious how to use it when you watch the video.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You yank on it!
Some good YouTube vids online
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Here's an actual link to how to use it. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=zWe6Zbaz1uM

I follow the valve stem to make sure I'm always measuring the wheel at the same spot. Once you have this tool and use it on a few bikes, you will be so glad to own one.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [SummitAK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SummitAK wrote:
I haven't messed with the SRA'M 10 speed mechs in a while, but going from memory the RD was very sensitive to cable routing at the clamp bolt. It's prolly worth double checking yours to make sure you have it in the corrrect path around the clamp bolt and aligned as recommended.

But never a bad thing to have a hanger alignment tool around.
Could be this. SRAM Red RD has that little channel for the cable, between the barrel adjustor and the clamp. Make sure the cable is routed through it and not around it. That got me once.

If that isn't it, the cable is free in the housing, cable isn't frayed, etc... then it is probably RD hanger. May be best option to just replace the hanger and see what happens?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Another thing to check is if the wheel is true. That can affect shifting too actually if it isn't. But, I'd still check the derailleur hanger though.
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one's better

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dFNE0E2U9mg
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
This one's better

Gee, maybe you should have linked that in your previous post instead of the ever-helpful answer of "Just google it?"
Quote Reply
Re: Rear Derailleur Issues. Experts help! [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
lightheir wrote:
This one's better

Gee, maybe you should have linked that in your previous post instead of the ever-helpful answer of "Just google it?"

Nah, there are like only 3 videos about the DAG-2 anyway. He'll find them all, but it's somewhat helpful to know that this one is the most helpful.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Turns out, the suggestions in this thread were all off. This is a new R3 frame, and the hanger is new- even so, I bought a new hanger, and the derailleur STILL did the same thing. I took it to the most knowledgeable LBS mechanic I know, he spent half a day on it, and even he couldn't fix it.

I had a spare Force derailleur in my closet, so I swapped out the misbehaving Red... shifts PERFECT. Something is just wonky with this SRAM Red 10-speed mech- maybe worn out, or a bent parallelogram.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had a shimano der. like this, glad you figured it out!

rich
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Curious - did the mech at the LBS use the derailleur hangar adjustment tool to check that your hangar was correct? I know you replaced the hangar, but even a newly replaced hangar can be slightly off.
Quote Reply