Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [jsmith82] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.trisports.com/...e-sram-red-etap.html

Delivering insane speed with a boost of compliance and control, the Kestrel 5000 SL SRAM Red eTap Triathlon Bike will ignite your performance. The 5000 SL starts with 800K high modulus carbon fiber and is strategically molded to possess geometry-specific tube shapes, a fortified bottom bracket, tapered top tube and aerodynamically contoured stays, seat and down tubes. The end result is an incredibly aerodynamic triathlon bike that offers unmatched torsional rigidity, efficient power transfer, confident handling and superb ride quality. A2 wind tunnel designed, an integrated fairing shrouds the front brake for a cleaner leading edge while the rear chainstay brake fairing sheds turbulent air under the bottom bracket shell.

Piloting the superbike reaches a new level with the full treatment of SRAM Red eTap and Oval Concepts controls. As elegant as it is simple to use, the 11-speed SRAM Red eTap drivetrain is completely wireless and delivers precise, reliable, effortless shifting. To enhance comfort during long events, an integrated seatpost clamp and saddle rail clamp work in unison to provide 40mm of position adjustment fore and aft. The Oval Concepts 980 carbon clincher wheels are stiff, lightweight and aerodynamic, making them the perfect accompaniment for your time machine. From the lava fields in Kona to the backcountry training rides in your hometown, the laser-focused Kestrel 5000 SL SRAM Red eTap Triathlon Bike delivers powerful results.

Does anyone else think this bike looks like an open mold?

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
It is. There's at least 4 bikes now with the same mold, 2 others in this thread alone.

PS The Planet X version with Etap is $2k cheaper.

http://www.planetx.co.uk/...ap-edition-selcof-56

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Interesting that they claim A2 tunnel designed unless they are just talking about the fairing on the front brake.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Last edited by: BryanD: Jun 14, 17 7:38
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Or maybe whoever designed the open mold tested it there and all 4 of them can claim that.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BryanD wrote:
Interesting that they claim A2 tunnel designed unless they are just talking about the fairing on the front brake.

Is it possible that Kestrel designed/developed this frame, and then the Asian factories ripped them off? I'm not asking you specifically Bryan, but someone in-the-know might have some insight.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Planet X has had their version on their website for a few months now, so it seems that if anything it was Kestrel that did the ripping off.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Unlikely.

I haven't seen this frame on aliexpress, so it's not available (yet) for the average joe to pick up. The possibilities are;

1. Kestrel did not design the bike. A carbon frame producer is making the frame and licensing it out to anyone who is willing to pay. In this case, Kestrel is using misleading A2 wind tunnel claims to imply that they developed the bike.

-or-

2. Kestrel did design the bike. The A2 claims are accurate. However, they negotiated with the frame producer to share costs of production with the understanding that the manufacturer would have the right to license the frame to other companies.

...The aero/development claims are nothing new. When Planet X first released the Exocet 2, they made some bold claims about the frame being 'their' design, but the frame had already been on aliexpress and available to the general public to buy for some time. Now with the exocet 3, Kestrel is making the claim.

The guys at Flo cycling once described the process of #2 when first getting into business. IIRC, they opted to not share the costs and maintain all rights to their wheel designs and distribution.

nickwhite wrote:
BryanD wrote:

Is it possible that Kestrel designed/developed this frame, and then the Asian factories ripped them off? I'm not asking you specifically Bryan, but someone in-the-know might have some insight.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wonder why they are not selling a frameset?

It's practically identical to the Exo3, or is. Similar to the FM086/87 but definitely is not the same, the down tube gives it away.

Where Planet X's "XL" is the 57, Kestrel is actually putting out the 60cm - as a tall athlete I appreciate that, it's good to see another large bike on the market. If you ride a 54 the world is your oyster, but at my height it can be slim picking.

I'm out on this bike for 2017, LBS talked me down, plus I don't want a bike I want a frame. Hopefully some reviews will come through later in the year.

Thoughts on GB riding this to a 5th fastest split of the day at Alcatraz? Seemed to have performed well.

Regards,
J. Smith
Last edited by: jsmith82: Jun 14, 17 11:32
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [beston] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
beston wrote:
Unlikely.

I haven't seen this frame on aliexpress, so it's not available (yet) for the average joe to pick up. The possibilities are;

1. Kestrel did not design the bike. A carbon frame producer is making the frame and licensing it out to anyone who is willing to pay. In this case, Kestrel is using misleading A2 wind tunnel claims to imply that they developed the bike.

-or-

2. Kestrel did design the bike. The A2 claims are accurate. However, they negotiated with the frame producer to share costs of production with the understanding that the manufacturer would have the right to license the frame to other companies.

The guys at Flo cycling once described the process of #2 when first getting into business. IIRC, they opted to not share the costs and maintain all rights to their wheel designs and distribution.

nickwhite wrote:
BryanD wrote:

You are correct. A lot of factories will give you the option to share your technology/save on mold cost, OR pay more but keep your technology private. We have always opted for the paying more option.

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Open Mold framesets look much better without any lettering on them. Be it Kestrel or Planet X.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
BMANX wrote:
Open Mold framesets look much better without any lettering on them. Be it Kestrel or Planet X.

So if Kestrel designed this bike, (or PX), would it still be appropriate to call it "open mold"?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Depends on who actually designed this? Do we or will we ever know.
Quote Reply
Re: New Kestrel 5000 SL (pics) - Release June 11th [BMANX] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Some people will know and can't confirm or deny out of respect for competitors.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [desert dude] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
desert dude wrote:
Quote:
I thought the brand was dead

Unless this bike is radically different from the pic it's DOA and won't help Kestrel be anything more than the afterthought of an afterthought in the tri bike world

I was reading this thread again and realized that the Kestrel Talon is actually the best selling bike from a certain large retailer. So, Kestrel is doing ok probably. They make what is essentially the cheapest carbon tri bike and sell them like hotcakes.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [Sweeney] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Sweeney. I saw that you got your kestrel from Boca. How do you line your 4000?. I'm new to the sport and was talking to the owner of Boca and he suggested the new 5000sl but I was also considering the shiv expert. You comments would be greatly appreciated
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nickwhite wrote:
BMANX wrote:

So if Kestrel designed this bike, (or PX), would it still be appropriate to call it "open mold"?

Yes, it would.

Open mold isn't defined by who created with, but rather how it is made available to other companies to use it. ...I guess you could say that Kestrel designed this open mold frame (if that is the case).
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [LateEntry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I got my 4000 after having tested the Shiv. I thought the geometry on the Shiv was to up-right for me. The 4000 was just right, letting me get into a nice long and low position. Last year I got a Felt IA. The 4000 is now my travel bike because it's so easy to break down and set up. And I've kept using it for American Zoffingen because it's pounds lighter.

None of us know anything about the 5000 yet, but you can't go wrong dealing with Raul and his people at Boca Hawaii!

---------------------------
''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
I got my 4000 after having tested the Shiv. I thought the geometry on the Shiv was to up-right for me. The 4000 was just right, letting me get into a nice long and low position.

Those two bikes have nearly identical stack/reach measurements.
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JASpencer wrote:

No they don't

Kestrel;
Shiv;
M5404056360814int7580L565425

''Sweeney - you can both crush your AG *and* cruise in dead last!! 😂 '' Murphy's Law
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
JASpencer wrote:

No they don't

Kestrel;
Shiv;
M5404056360814int7580L565425
Can you translate that pls?

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Kestrel 4000, size 55, stack 536, reach 418

Shiv

size M, stack 540, reach 405
size L, 565, 425

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sweeney wrote:
Kestrel 4000, size 55, stack 536, reach 418

Shiv

size M, stack 540, reach 405
size L, 565, 425

Aren't we talking about Kestrels new bike, the 5000? Stack of 543 and Reach of 405 in M(55). The geometry chart is available in the link the OP shared, or at http://www.kestrelbicycles.com/...-shimano-ultegra-di2
Quote Reply
Re: Kestrel to release new tri bike - June 11th [JASpencer] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was answering a question about my K4000, when someone else wrote ''aren't those two bikes virtually the same''

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ah, I see. My mistake.
Quote Reply

Prev Next