Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
To maximize distance you want it as warm as you can stand without affecting your performance. Warmer air is less dense. Going when it's still cool inside could cost you as much as a lap or two. In general there is usually a window each morning and afternoon when the temperature is in the optimal range....

1. Altitude. Aguascalientes is 6,200' above sea level. The lower air density makes a big difference.

Are you sure about the temperature? At sea level I get it, but at 6200 ft you will be at the part of the curve where lowering air density further will yield little gain in speed. I wouldn't think you'd be wise to give up anything in "comfort" for a little lower density.

I think you'll crush the record regardless. Best of luck!

Rob Van Houweling has a portable weather station. He has data from late June, early July 2015 where he ran it all day long. It got up to 100 degrees inside the velodrome on a number of those days. It generally got up to 85 by noon and then back down to that temp again around 6pm. In general the high temp inside the velodrome is about 10 degrees C higher than outside.

I hope you're right about the crushing it part!

Thanks.

Kevin

http://kevinmetcalfe.dreamhosters.com
My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [TPerry] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TPerry wrote:
Kevin, first best of luck this weekend going for the AR 40 KM mark. When Gary set that mark a few years ago I thought it may have some holding power. But, your FTP of 320 watts at sea level is pretty impressive. You look like you may weigh about 160? I haven't looked at the forecast for Sunday. Some good weather and I think you'll have your second AR. Gary will be trying to lower his 60+ mark a little more this Sunday too. He is also fit and I believe he'll take a good chunk out of that one. Second, thanks for the Master's Natz gift.

Congratulations to you and Gary for your respective jerseys! Nice job!!

Mike
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
It got up to 100 degrees inside the velodrome on a number of those days. It generally got up to 85 by noon and then back down to that temp again around 6pm. In general the high temp inside the velodrome is about 10 degrees C higher than outside.

I'm not questioning that it gets hot, but rather that you'd *want* it to be hot. At that altitude there is little to gain from further reducing density, particularly if the density is reduced via a temperature that will hinder your ability to perform. I'd like the temperature around 60F, but that's just me. There's a little bit of Crr difference to consider also.
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [rruff] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
It got up to 100 degrees inside the velodrome on a number of those days. It generally got up to 85 by noon and then back down to that temp again around 6pm. In general the high temp inside the velodrome is about 10 degrees C higher than outside.

I'm not questioning that it gets hot, but rather that you'd *want* it to be hot. At that altitude there is little to gain from further reducing density, particularly if the density is reduced via a temperature that will hinder your ability to perform. I'd like the temperature around 60F, but that's just me. There's a little bit of Crr difference to consider also.

I agree, just not 100 degrees, or probably 90 either. In an ideal world where I had the resources of say Team Sky behind me, I'd do some testing at a velodrome under different temperature conditions. As it is though I'm just trying to find the best, but still safe trade off between air density and not melting. I think somewhere around 80 degrees is about right.

Frankly, it's kind of scandalous that nobody has stepped forward with a few hundred thousand dollars to help me go after this prestigious 55-59 record... :-)

In the end, we can only do so much. We've got really good PI speed suits, good TT bikes, I picked up a pair of Giro Empire ACC's, aero socks from Nopinz. But it's not like we can go into the wind tunnel and test 10 different helmets, or nickel and dime myself ( a few hundred dollars at a pop) for things like Speedplay aero pedals, etc. No altitude camp, frankly little time on the velodrome at all and so forth. I figure we're leaving a percent or two on the table, but the costs and time to get those last few percent are just not reasonable given our situation as guys with jobs and families, etc.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [nslckevin] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
In the end, we can only do so much.

You have a lot of it figured out. 1st time will be somewhat of a learning experience, but you will probably be successful. If you feel like you left too much, maybe try again next year? Or pull an Obree and go out again the next day.

Is Madsen going to be there? Haven't talked to him in awhile...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
rruff wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
In the end, we can only do so much.

You have a lot of it figured out. 1st time will be somewhat of a learning experience, but you will probably be successful. If you feel like you left too much, maybe try again next year? Or pull an Obree and go out again the next day.

Is Madsen going to be there? Haven't talked to him in awhile...

At this time we have 6 hour riders. Myself, Dan Bryant, Molly Van Houweling, Andi Smith, Scott Hennessey and Mary Ellen Allen. MEA's husband is also going to do a couple of short attempts. Rob is talking to others, but that is the list for now. If we add others it would be Fri., Sat., and Sun.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
nslckevin wrote:
TPerry wrote:
Kevin, first best of luck this weekend going for the AR 40 KM mark. When Gary set that mark a few years ago I thought it may have some holding power. But, your FTP of 320 watts at sea level is pretty impressive. You look like you may weigh about 160? I haven't looked at the forecast for Sunday. Some good weather and I think you'll have your second AR. Gary will be trying to lower his 60+ mark a little more this Sunday too. He is also fit and I believe he'll take a good chunk out of that one. Second, thanks for the Master's Natz gift.

Thanks and congrats on the jersey! Everything depends on the weather of course, but if it's good I'm hopeful for Sunday.
Mother nature does not seem to be in your corner!
Quote Reply
Re: World Hour Record Attempt (geezers) - we have a date! [lanierb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lanierb wrote:
nslckevin wrote:
TPerry wrote:

Thanks and congrats on the jersey! Everything depends on the weather of course, but if it's good I'm hopeful for Sunday.

Mother nature does not seem to be in your corner!

Yeah, it looks like there will be a bit of a breeze. Not to mention cold as hell.. C'est la vie I guess.

Kevin

My Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can't wait to see how the day turns out. Good luck to you, Molly/Rob and Dan. I've got great memories of maaaaany Wednesday nights watching you guys absolutely fly. For each of you, the unrelenting drive for constant improvement is something I've always held in the highest esteem
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is Jim during his attempt last year. He pretty much nailed his pacing for the record. He had a pretty successful season, winning world titles last year and Masters World titles this year. Won't be an easy record to beat, but good luck.
Last edited by: rmt: Jun 7, 17 23:38
Quote Reply

Prev Next