Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Could I Run an 8 minute mile? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
awenborn wrote:
lightheir wrote:
Pretty easy to set an achievable bar to make one feel special to drive the ads. I've been getting the same company's ads showing up "can you ride a XXX" and "can you swim a XXX" (forgot their standards) now as well, which proves the clickbait.

Ahh right, this makes a lot of sense now, I didn't realise that this was a marketing gimmick, I thought it was a legitimate question on the application.

Whilst I don't buy into the whole "what can I do without actually bothering to train" philosophy that a lot of people seem to subscribe to as some kind of positive reinforcement for their own laziness, I'm intrigued as to whether the OP can do it now...

It's got nothing to do with being lazy, I just don't like running which is why I stopped. Most days I get in two workouts, lifting weights and cycling, not to mention taking the dog for a hike a few times a week for good measure.

Do I "train" like I did when I was running races or racing bikes? No, but I'm not a couch potato either.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I Run an 8 minute mile? [lightheir] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lightheir wrote:
I seriously doubt the typical non-active middle-aged male can go out and stone-cold run an 8min mile. If that guy was doing other overlapping things like basketball league, soccer, even cycling, it's eminently doable, but one thing for sure is that when you're in your 40s, the hit you take from being sedentary is pretty big. I'm in my 40s, and my endurance performance is actually better than when I was 18 (I train more now too), but if I stop, things fall apart pretty quickly - if I took 6 months completely off sports, I'd be struggling to run an 8min all-out for sure. (I run marathons at low 7s right now)

Right this would be can a middle-aged, overweight person in reasonable shape go out and stone cold run an 8 minute mile.
Quote Reply
Re: Could I Run an 8 minute mile? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
lightheir wrote:
I seriously doubt the typical non-active middle-aged male can go out and stone-cold run an 8min mile. If that guy was doing other overlapping things like basketball league, soccer, even cycling, it's eminently doable, but one thing for sure is that when you're in your 40s, the hit you take from being sedentary is pretty big. I'm in my 40s, and my endurance performance is actually better than when I was 18 (I train more now too), but if I stop, things fall apart pretty quickly - if I took 6 months completely off sports, I'd be struggling to run an 8min all-out for sure. (I run marathons at low 7s right now)

Right this would be can a middle-aged, overweight person in reasonable shape go out and stone cold run an 8 minute mile.

I def think a middle-aged person in REASONABLE shape can run an 8 min mile stone cold. Even overweight. (Not obese). For example, if that person was cycling semiregularly, probably a more than fair chance they can do it. (It'll likely hurt!)
Quote Reply

Prev Next