Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Open Marathon Times: How much time does an undulating, off-road course cost you?
Quote | Reply
I ran my first open marathon at the weekend on an undulating, off-road course and I'm wondering if there's any kind of rule-of-thumb to help me estimate my time on a flatter, on-road course.

As a bit of background, I'm currently training for Ironman UK in 8 weeks time, but after that as an end-of-season goal I'm hoping to achieve the British-equivalent of a BQ and qualify for the London Marathon through their wonderfully-titled Good for Age process. As an 18-40 Male I need a time of 3:05 but thankfully, unlike the Boston application process, a 3:04:59.9 would be a guaranteed spot regardless of whatever times everyone else posts.

Background: Male, 31 years old, 5'7" (170 cm), 140lbs (64 kg), didn't compete at all at school/college but have been cycling and running consistently for the last ~10 years.

Running PBs: 5k - 19:32; 10k - 39:50; HM - 1:33:08, Marathon - 3:19:35 (all 2017 except for the HM, which was 2016).

Current training: 12-18 hours per week of SBR training; running 30-35 miles in 4 sessions per week; mostly Z2 running, but the odd speed/hill session when my legs aren't too knackered.

So the marathon PB was just this weekend on a course that was 80% off-road packed-gravel trail. It had a total elevation gain of approximately 400 m (1300 ft), so not mountainous by any stretch, but most of this was packed into a couple of short, sharp 500m climbs that ramped up to a ~25% gradient (at a guess), which were covered 6 times in total. It's easy to say in hindsight, but I feel as though I paced myself well but slightly on the conservative side and finished with a strong couple of miles to creep in under 3:20:

https://www.strava.com/activities/998558143

I'm targeting my home-town marathon on 22nd October, so I have 3 full months to recover from the IM and focus on some run-specific training; the course is dead flat and entirely on-road. I guess my questions are:

(1) How much time is the hilly, off-road course likely to have cost me in terms of raw minutes and seconds?

(2) Can I shave a full 15 mins off my marathon time in 5 months?!

(3) What kind of key sessions and/or race times for shorter distances should I be looking at to creep under 3:05 for an open marathon?

(4) Is my current 4:00 hour IM marathon run time a realistic plan/expectation?

If you've made it this far, thanks for taking the time to read it and any advice is much appreciated!
Last edited by: awenborn: May 24, 17 7:46
Quote Reply
Re: Open Marathon Times: How much time does an undulating, off-road course cost you? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'll play.

1) off road surface - 6 seconds per mile. Terrain - 2 minutes vs. a flat course. I'd rather have some small hills rather than dead flat.

2) Not without solid run focused training. An IM in there will blow that up.

3) No IM. Marathon training plans are plentiful. Depending on your exact strengths and weaknesses it would change, but I am a big fan of back to back long days. The first LSD, and the second more long workout focused. Your last few weeks might look like this - 18m/12m progressive run starting very slow building to 30-40 seconds per mile faster than race pace for the last mile - 21/10 (5 easy/5m at 6:40) - 16/16 marathon pace run.

4) That is a much different question. Is it possible? Sure. You need to have great bike fitness, execution, and nutrition/hydration. Based on your 3:20 I would say you are capable of a 3:45 if you can get yourself to the marathon in the right physical and mental condition.

I know this might sound negative, but it is not meant to. You can probably run a 3:05 if that is your sole focus.

Good luck!

Brian

Quote Reply
Re: Open Marathon Times: How much time does an undulating, off-road course cost you? [cbritri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for the input!

That certainly doesn't sound unduly negative, I know getting anywhere near 3:05 by October is a long shot, but I figure it'll give me an end-of-season goal event and a benchmark time for some winter training and potentially another shot in the spring.

If anything I think your summary makes me slightly more optimistic; if the surface and terrain cost me 5 mins and assuming I could have shaved another 5 mins with more ambitious and aggressive pacing from the start, then that's only really 5 minutes that I have to find through legitimate fitness gains. Cut my weight by a few kilos and I'm basically there, right?!

I'm pretty sure that's how the maths usually works out...
Quote Reply
Re: Open Marathon Times: How much time does an undulating, off-road course cost you? [awenborn] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
1. I'd guess about 5-10 mins depending on your fitness levels.
2. It is a very ambitious goal. It took me (~42 yr old at the time) about a year of 35 mpw to shave off about 12 mins off my 3:22 time.
3. the usual - 2 easy, 1 tempo, 1 long run.
4. yep - if the terrain is comparable, 4hrs should be very doable if you bike smart.

Next races on the schedule: none at the moment
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Your HM time is a way more reliable indicator of your current ability than your recent marathon.

Yes, definitely some work to be done for a 3:05, but it's worth a shot. Don't neglect your weekly speed work and long runs (marathon runner's long runs, not half-arsed excuses for long runs that so may triathletes do).
Quote Reply