Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

kickr noise...
Quote | Reply
My kickr has started making a humming noise, best way to describe is like a didgeridoo.
Anyone else get this? Don't think it is free hub related, as that was replaced a month ago, and it makes the noise while pedaling...
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [SBRcoffee] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Check your belt tension. You don't have to remove the cover to tighten it.

Check what your spin down is. I don't know what the target number is, around 25 seconds is good.

Pactimo brand ambassador, ask me about promo codes
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [MTBSully] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Still having issues, but seems to have gotten worse. Belt feels tight. I get a pretty loud rumbling from the flywheel (bottom large wheel with arrow stickers). Then when it slows down towards a stop it is squeaking.
I did a spindown via the kickr utility on my iphone, and results were:

Spindown time - 18.902
Temperature - 22.62
Offset - 65535

I'm guessing that offset is a bad sign.... :(
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Kickr1 or Kickr2? That offset indicates it's in Model Mode (which is the only mode Kickr2 has... as opposed to strain gauge mode if it's a Kickr1).

That aside, if you can make a video and post it, it'll be something we can have a look at... and something for Wahoo to review too.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [gplama] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its a v1 kickr.
It has approx. 400 hours on it. Put a new freehub on it a little over a month ago and it seemed to be working well.
The video doesn't really allow you to hear the rumble, it is a low pitch and can be felt.
But if you turn volume up, you can hear the squeaking when the trainer starts and rolls to a stop...

https://www.youtube.com/...amp;feature=youtu.be
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
OK, so might have come a bit closer to a resolution.
I took the sort of triangle shape plastic cover off the drive side of the trainer, exposing the belt and pulleys, including the pulley that attaches to the axle that passes through to the power flywheel. The squeak seemed to be coming from inside/behind that axle area.
So I said 'f*ck it' and did a couple of quick squirts of WD40 behind it. Noise/rumble seem to instantly be gone!

So I'm guessing that whatever bearing is in there has worn out, and the squeaking etc will probably return. Will check with wahoo support this week...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
That sounds exactly like one of our native birds over here in Australia! I might try the WD40 trick on one of those next time one wakes me up. :)

Keep us posted on the reply from Wahoo.

Shane Miller - GPLama
YouTube | Web | Twitter | Instagram | Facebook | Strava
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Two things:

First thing:
I have the first gen Kickr.
I've had the same thing happen but only when putting on higher watts. Same thing with tri or road bike. My cassette came loose a couple of times so I've tightened it. That seemed to help. I didn't pull it apart like you did - kudos for the courage, the Kickr isn't cheap. I wondered if you knew where you were in the cassette or at a higher wattage when you noticed the noise? Is it all the time? Thanks!

Second thing:
I used to work for a Kickr dealer. The rep was nonexistent and super unhelpful but their customer service line was great when people would come into the shop with issues. So maybe give them a call.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [PennBen] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
PennBen wrote:
Two things:

First thing:
I have the first gen Kickr.
I've had the same thing happen but only when putting on higher watts. Same thing with tri or road bike. My cassette came loose a couple of times so I've tightened it. That seemed to help. I didn't pull it apart like you did - kudos for the courage, the Kickr isn't cheap. I wondered if you knew where you were in the cassette or at a higher wattage when you noticed the noise? Is it all the time? Thanks!

Second thing:
I used to work for a Kickr dealer. The rep was nonexistent and super unhelpful but their customer service line was great when people would come into the shop with issues. So maybe give them a call.

Well, I didn't really pull it apart, i just removed one of the covers.
The online support did get back to me (I hadn't mentioned the WD40 thing to them...). They basically verified what I was thinking, that they believe one of the bearings has worn out. They said my trainer is from 2014, thus no warranty coverage, but that I could ship it to them for repairs..
I've replied asking why I can't replace the bearing myself, and how much it will cost to have it repaired, and shipped back to me in Canada.
I know that shipping it from Canada to the US for the repair will cost me upwards of $100 due to the weight (shipping costs from Canada to anywhere are ridiculous)...

It sucks that the new breed of trainers - none of them last like computrainers did. Pretty much have to accept that they are a disposable item that you'll pay ~300-500 per year to use........... :(

Oh, to answer your other questions - I leave it in the same gear as I use erg mode with trainer road.
When the problem started, I did try another gear just for the hell of it, didn't help.
The cassette - mine has come loose in the past as well, I check the lock nut every so often now, and I had just replaced the freehub about a month ago as the inside spacers had apparently worn out and the cassette wouldn't turn properly.
But these new noises aren't from that area, they are from the lower bearing where the shaft goes through to the power unit.
Last edited by: SBRcoffee: May 30, 17 7:35
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [SBRcanuck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Resurrecting thread ...

Can I ask what you ended up doing with your Kickr bearing?

Mine started making noise also. I emailed Wahoo a video capturing the sound, and they said sounds like the bearing.

Options are to buy a refurb unit for like $270 or send mine into them -- for I'm sure an absurd shipping price. No option to have parts send and DIY it or have my shop (who are a dealer) do it, it appears.

Really annoying. This is a first gen unit (so 3.5 years old or so), but I don't use it all that much. I would estimate under 1000 hours.

And as others have noted in other threads ... having to wait days for a response from service ticket request.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [BrianB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
They did send me the replacement bearing, but I have yet to install it. So far, spraying a bunch of WD40 into it that one time seems to have kept it running smoothly......weird.... But keeping the bearing handy for when it eventually fails.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
They did send me the replacement bearing, but I have yet to install it. So far, spraying a bunch of WD40 into it that one time seems to have kept it running smoothly......weird.... But keeping the bearing handy for when it eventually fails.

thanks for the response.

hmm ... maybe I will try that also (spray first, and see if they will send a replacement bearing). Did they also send instructions on how to replace it? (e.g., do you need a bearing press, etc.)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
BrianB wrote:
SBRcanuck wrote:

thanks for the response.

hmm ... maybe I will try that also (spray first, and see if they will send a replacement bearing). Did they also send instructions on how to replace it? (e.g., do you need a bearing press, etc.)

Working from home today, so ran downstairs to the trainer room and snapped a pic and measured them. 37 OD, 17 ID. Bearing model is 6003-2RSH.
If you search online, you'll see that you can order them from several places for a few dollars.

Oh, they didn't send instructions. Probably need to remove the axle and then pound out like any hub. Yes, I'd assume you'd need a press to properly insert the new bearings. You can make your own press if needed for about $10 with parts from any hardware store.
Last edited by: SBRcanuck: Nov 21, 18 5:15
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Awesome! Thanks a bunch. MUCH better option than buying a refurb unit!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a brand new 2018 Kickr (the new "silent" one) that also just started making this "didgeridoo" noise -- sounds like the flywheel is loose and rumbling or something. The noise comes and goes. This is actually my second 2018 Kickr that has had this defect. The first one I sent back to the dealer for a replacement. Both times it happens after around 10-15 hours of use...

Are other people having this issue. I wonder if the new Kickr has a defect. Thinking this couldn't happen twice, I just tossed the box yesterday.....bad luck....
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [wintershade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wintershade wrote:
I have a brand new 2018 Kickr (the new "silent" one) that also just started making this "didgeridoo" noise -- sounds like the flywheel is loose and rumbling or something. The noise comes and goes. This is actually my second 2018 Kickr that has had this defect. The first one I sent back to the dealer for a replacement. Both times it happens after around 10-15 hours of use...

Are other people having this issue. I wonder if the new Kickr has a defect. Thinking this couldn't happen twice, I just tossed the box yesterday.....bad luck....

If you check out the Wahoo Kickr support page on FB, Youtube and the comment section beneath DC Rainmaker's review of this unit, you will see that it is a widespread issue to the extent that it has been dubbed #wahoogate. The new 2018 Kickr Core also has this defect. From what I gather, it's the result of an improperly sized key/keyway on one of the belt pulley wheels. It appears that Wahoo has a fix and is taking care of it by either via replacements or or by providing a fix kit (plus a credit coupon).

I was about to pull the trigger on one of these, but will wait until the early teething problems are worked out, hopefully with the next production run.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Count me among those with a 2018 new Kickr and having noise problems. My issue is an awful knocking noise that started up out of the blue. The unit has maybe 20 hours on it.

The support person gave me the same offer: repair kit and discount code or a replacement unit, but with a delay of up to 2 weeks. He had a DIY repair document already queued up, so I knew this must be a widespread problem.

I opted for the kit, but then when it showed up in my was caught off guard: it's literally one bolt and an additional metal piece. No tools or anything. I live in a small NYC apartment and don't have a garage full of tools! Hoping to borrow some over Thanksgiving and give the repair a shot.

Otherwise, I'll be requesting a replacement unit. Either way, this is super disappointing for a $1,200 trainer. One that you'd think had all the kinks worked out after multiple years on the market.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [rossi46] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
At least Wahoo is taking care of the issue.

Not all of these related companies have that level of customer service!
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [GONE4ARIDE] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
If the deals are true tomorrow on the Hammer H2 - 20% discount - I may pull the trigger......

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [mooseknuckle69] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My girlfriend just got a H1 scratch and dent for 719 shipped. I looked it over hard and didn’t find a scratch or a dent on it lol.
Quote Reply
Re: kickr noise... [ridenfish39] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
damn.....and here I am trying to talk myself out of buying one cause I use a dumb trainer and quarq

------------------------------------------------------------
"PAIN is nothing compared to what it feels like to QUIT" Wink
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've gone back and forth with Wahoo a couple of times now. Support guy claims they can't send parts, and if it is the main flywheel bearing it needs "special tools" and only Wahoo can do it. Which seems rather hard to believe.

Also no mention of the "repair kit" that others mention above re: the noise issue. Unclear if that is only new models or not though. I wrote back and brought that up.

It seems clear that the only option they want to pursue is to get me to buy a refurbished unit.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
If you're at the point of writing off the trainer to buy a refurb, then why not at least try replacing those two bearings I sent you the pic of, or do what I did and take the main cover off (a few screws) and squirt some lube / WD40 in there. I'm sure that would all void any warranty, but sounds like you are past warranty anyway!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
SBRcanuck wrote:
If you're at the point of writing off the trainer to buy a refurb, then why not at least try replacing those two bearings I sent you the pic of, or do what I did and take the main cover off (a few screws) and squirt some lube / WD40 in there. I'm sure that would all void any warranty, but sounds like you are past warranty anyway!

yeah, that's my plan. I interestingly, it hasn't made the noise last 2 times riding it. And, I need to verify this, it seems to be related to the speed. e.g., if in a big gear in erg mode it will make the noise, but otherwise it doesn't (or is not very apparent).
Quote Reply