Quote | Reply
These might help you understand how HR works in individuals;

http://www.slowtwitch.com/...s/coachcorn/max.html
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Very interesting article, many thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [dfroelich] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dfroelich wrote:
Vanity wrote:
Many thanks, i guess i'll borrow a HR with a strap not an optical one an check again...
I try to slow things down, but i usually don't have problems holding a conversation when running a "normal" speed but still have a HR around 180... :S

Regards

Just corroborate the TomTom pulse reading with a quick pulse check. Two fingers to your wrist, count the pumps for 6 seconds, multiply by 10.

Often, wrist based optical HR sensors suffer from 'cadence lock', where they will register your cadence instead of HR. For Garmins, this is usually 'left foot cadence', so normal values will be 80-90. Who knows? Maybe TomTom's algorithm is different and catches both feet, thus your 180+ readings.

Yep, when my Scosche Rhythm+, which I wear on my upper arm, gets my heart rate wrong, it seems to confuse cadence (both feet) with pulse, so it'll rise to about 180 when my actual HR is ~150. Sometimes it keeps rising, though, into the low-200s, maybe it's combining pulse with cadence, i.e. measuring both simultaneously? Turning it off and back on usually does the trick, though sometimes the issue will recur and I'll have to relocate it.
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [Vanity] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
My heart rate was basically the same as yours. Very high to high on all runs. I did a long block of nothing but slow and easy runs. I did the HR calculation based on the Maffetone method. The goal was to keep my HR under 142 BPM while running. I did all of my runs at that rate for a few months. When I started my runs were at 13:00 min/mile (8.1min/km) down to 10:30 min/mile (6.4min/km) After that block of pure zone 2 running I set a PR on a 5k at 21:30 with no speed work. I did lose a lot of weight which helped a ton. I went from close to 230 to 195.

Your cardiovascular system is not as strong as your muscular system right now. You need to put in a solid block of zone 2 running. Don't do any fast running and don't do any intervals. You'll find that your per km time will fall at the same HR. I would say you need to do a LTHR Test and use that to set your zone 2. Then spend a lot of time there.

You also need to run more than two days a week. 3 maybe 4.

How is your HR on the Bike?
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [nbaffaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
On the bike it is definitely better: with an average speed of around 32kph (i don't have a power meter) i usually have something around 170-180 on a 40km ride.
Last edited by: Vanity: May 24, 17 12:41
Quote Reply
Re: Beginner: Super High HR no matter how fast i run [dewman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So I tried to max out my HR and really got up to 210 (Formula would yield 193) so i guess this would relativate my high HR while running
Quote Reply

Prev Next