Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: I hate the pool [georged] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I used to feel the same way and often hated going to the pools, until almost all of the local ones were destroyed or badly damaged in a quake last spring. I guess it's true that you don't know what you've got til it's gone!

I've found with swimming an average of once a week in the last 4 months and using bands 2 or 3 times a week at home, I've 'only' lost about 2 minutes over my IM-distance swim time in the last year. Maintaining a decent swim is pretty possible, but can't expect any improvement is my take-away from it.

-----
http://www.howesgreg.com
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [adablduya1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Talking to them is the best advice, but I'm under strict instructions not to embarrass my wife. When I spoke to the manager she said there was nothing she could do, I joked that I didn't want to end up punching a kid, and I don't think she got it. My dry sense of humor doesn't go over so well where I live, and I tend to be a blunt prick at times. A lot of those kids know my kids, so yeah. Having never spent time at a pool, the culture is a little different to me. I decided not to do early morning because I went once and left before I got into a fight. Not the most friendly or accommodating of people I've ever been around. No one wanted to share a lane. I am going to look at the other pool, time is a real issue for me since I work about 60 hours per week, but it may be a necessity. I've done the tether thing twice now and think it will be a great way to supplement. The endless pools is also interesting, I'm going to look into that. Thanks to all for the advice.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [happyscientist] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
During the winter my normal pool (my tri group gets to use the college pool) is often not available for us, since the High School, the college, and a young kids swim team take up all the time.

I had to try and swim at the Y and ended up having to do it before work, because they told me that from 4:30-7:30pm there is a swim group using it that is too big, so they cannot even keep a lap lane available. Glad I do not pay a membership fee there. Paying daily rate 2-3x a week during the winter was cheaper than the monthly membership.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [ko21] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You say "They said they had the lanes open but there were kids everywhere".

I'm unclear what you mean - do you mean that there are lots of kids screwing around or there are kids who're actually swimming, albeit slower than you?

If they're using it legitimately, then I'd pick the other pool. But it they're screwing around, then I'd:

1. Tell the lifeguard that I'm about to use the lane to give him a chance to clear it out.
2. Start swimming. If you run into someone who's screwing around, tell them to get out. You can be assertive without being a jerk, and are within your rights to do so.

In all my years of tri, I've told screwing-around people to get out of the lane only twice. Option 1 is almost all I've ever needed. Just remember: You're an adult and you've paid for this. There's nothing wrong with expecting what you've paid for. And as I pointed out above, you don't have to be jerk to do it. You just have to be assertive.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Many others can relate to your situation and simply do not enjoy going to the pool. Here is an excerpt from a recent podcast commentary by Patrick McCrann of Endurance Nation. He has a very unique way of clarifying the time savings gained by swim training with a Vasa SwimErg.

"Swimming can become a massive time-suck for people due to the logistics around getting to the pool, swimming, exiting the pool, cleaning up, changing, and everything else you need to do, proceeded by getting to where you need to go.

Every swim workout has four parts - travel to, travel from, workout, and then changing back into street clothes. Depending who you are, the time of day, and where you are in relation to work, you can very easily spend just as much time traveling to and from the pool and getting dressed as you do in the water.
Imagine this in a different context. If I told you we were going to meet for a run today, but before we can run for 45 minutes, we have to spend 45 minutes just standing in place. Just standing there for 45 minutes, waiting, and you’re not allowed to text (because you’d be driving or changing, both places where you can’t use phones). You have to stand there and wait for 45 minutes and then run 45 minutes. You would probably go insane. You’d probably want to punch me in the face or something.

Well get in line people! There are a lot of those folks. But seriously, that’s what it is like to swim, and it’s just something that we do. It’s the cost of business. However, having something like a Vasa swim ergometer means that in your basement, garage, workout room, pain cave or whatever you want to call it, you have a device that you can use in street clothes, pre or post bike or run workout, and can be instantly swimming with power if you choose the ergometer option. Or just swimming laps and working on your technique. In fact, you can do short swims that are 10-15 minutes focused on technique, just enough to stay sharp, but not so much that it’s costly, that will add to your overall swim repertoire.

That’s what I do right now. I’m new to the machine and I’m doing 500-750 yards, about 10-15 minutes a day, except for the days that I actually swim. As a result, I’ve added two extra swim workouts to my week, doing it in 10-15 minute chunks. And it’s only one minute away from my kitchen!

The technique is awesome, the time savings are phenomenal. You still have to swim - you’re going to have to make it to the water at some point - but in terms of return and investment for swim strength and swim specificity, you can’t beat that! When most people think about swimming inside we think about improving your swim as something as a year three or beyond issue because the bike is so important and run durability is something we work on all the time, but truth be told, swim is the most costly activity we undertake, and if you can solve that issue - whether that means moving closer to a pool or getting an endless pool or getting something like a Vasa - it’s a no-brainer to solve that issue."
Excerpted from this podcast:
http://hwcdn.libsyn.com/...4fc866b9aeeaac73f921
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
Worst is the swim team next to me has the U8s smoking me. I swear they put the younger kids in the lane next to the adults just to piss me off. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ever look over to see a 7-yr-old staring at you with a combination of disgust and pity? I have.

My Y pool in the summer is half recreation and 1-3 lap lanes, depending on whatever phase the moon is in. The entire under-12 population of the northern half of Philadelphia is playing in the recreation side whenever I'm there. I've chosen to look at the bright side of this -- I have a LOT of practice swimming with current and wake just being in this pool, and if they ever incorporate throwing a ball back into the rec side without breaking stroke in triathlon, I'll be golden.

I did befriend the head lifeguard, and found out he has done several tris and trains runners and swimmer. When he found out I was training for my full, he very graciously ran a little interference for me when I had my last couple super long volume swims by getting me further away from the rec lanes and letting people know what I was up to before they tried to break my sets.
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [Jelana] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jelana wrote:
Quote:
Worst is the swim team next to me has the U8s smoking me. I swear they put the younger kids in the lane next to the adults just to piss me off. Ain't nobody got time for that.

Ever look over to see a 7-yr-old staring at you with a combination of disgust and pity? I have.

My Y pool in the summer is half recreation and 1-3 lap lanes, depending on whatever phase the moon is in. The entire under-12 population of the northern half of Philadelphia is playing in the recreation side whenever I'm there. I've chosen to look at the bright side of this -- I have a LOT of practice swimming with current and wake just being in this pool, and if they ever incorporate throwing a ball back into the rec side without breaking stroke in triathlon, I'll be golden.

I did befriend the head lifeguard, and found out he has done several tris and trains runners and swimmer. When he found out I was training for my full, he very graciously ran a little interference for me when I had my last couple super long volume swims by getting me further away from the rec lanes and letting people know what I was up to before they tried to break my sets.

The lifeguard should have had all the kids play IN your lane, for your warmup, to train for the IM swim start

TriDork

"Happiness is a myth. All you can hope for is to get laid once in a while, drunk once in a while and to eat chocolate every day"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ko21 wrote:
Talking to them is the best advice, but I'm under strict instructions not to embarrass my wife. When I spoke to the manager she said there was nothing she could do, I joked that I didn't want to end up punching a kid, and I don't think she got it. My dry sense of humor doesn't go over so well where I live, and I tend to be a blunt prick at times. A lot of those kids know my kids, so yeah. Having never spent time at a pool, the culture is a little different to me. I decided not to do early morning because I went once and left before I got into a fight. Not the most friendly or accommodating of people I've ever been around. No one wanted to share a lane. I am going to look at the other pool, time is a real issue for me since I work about 60 hours per week, but it may be a necessity. I've done the tether thing twice now and think it will be a great way to supplement. The endless pools is also interesting, I'm going to look into that. Thanks to all for the advice.

I hate sharing a lane. esp at 5:25Am with people who are SO FREAKING GRUMPY. OOOOh I hate it. Fights are possible. I don't understand the culture or ethos at ALL. Hate it, actually.

Most people suck at that time of day, except me. stick your feet in and force them to share, or get there first. look out for relentless breaststroker guy.

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: I hate the pool [DJRed] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Make him swim with me...

Canadian Record Holder 35-39M & 40-44M - 200 m Butterfly (LCM)
Quote Reply

Prev Next