Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
when installing this Victoria Corsa Speed tubeless, you think it's still feasible to inflate it with a floor pump? would you think it makes a big difference to have a compressor in setup duration? I have Hed Jet + wheels.

You mentioned that if race more frequently would instead use latex tubes with sealant inside, that would still be with Corsa Speed tubeless tires?
If yes, then I assume the tires would still be hard to install, with the only difference that you would not face issues when start inflating it (if running it tubeless without a compressor there could be times that when start inflating it, the air doesn't hold into the tire), is that correct?

I should receive the tires in the next few days, so appreciate the feedback. Thanks

I have two Corsa Speed Tubeless tires right now. One of them i can mount quite easily and get up to pressure on my H3+ using a regular floor pump. The other one won't inflate, at all. I'm not quite sure what's wrong with the latter, but i'm hoping that perhaps CO2 could do the trick.

As for tire installation, soapy water does wonders to facilitate mounting. I actually carry a spray bottle of that stuff with me as I have one tubeless ready rim (currently with tubes) that is a royal PITA to mount.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas/Kiley/jsk/echappist, thanks very much for the information!
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Does anyone have recommendation on air compressors? Have been looking around, noticed there are several options.

If one have to deflate the tires for flights, then would it be needed to travel with a compressor to setup the tire again after the flight? Most of the compressors I've seen seems to be very heavy, so not practical to travel with. Are there lighter models?
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [pabloarc] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This one looks practical: https://www.backcountry.com/...OjQ&gclsrc=aw.ds

Would that be a good option?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
We've got the bontrager flash charger. works quite nicely. MTB, gravel, road/tri, CX, cruiser tires. I've gone on a bit of a tubeless kick since we got it.

36 kona qualifiers 2006-'23 - 3 Kona Podiums - 4 OA IM AG wins - 5 IM AG wins - 18 70.3 AG wins
I ka nana no a 'ike -- by observing, one learns | Kulia i ka nu'u -- strive for excellence
Garmin Glycogen Use App | Garmin Fat Use App
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
For around the same amount of money, I'd just get something like this and a prestaflator PSI gauge jawn for it. You don't need to travel with a compressor as long as you set up your shit tubeless at home beforehand. I don't think there is any reason to take your tires down to less than 60 PSI for air travel anyways, and if you have that kind of pressure in your tires and they are set up properly, they aren't going to leak sealant or anything like that.

I would be interested to hear how those airshot things work though. Maybe that's a good compromise if you're living in a small apartment and want to do this kind of stuff without needing a giant appliance
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
pabloarc wrote:
when installing this Victoria Corsa Speed tubeless, you think it's still feasible to inflate it with a floor pump? would you think it makes a big difference to have a compressor in setup duration? I have Hed Jet + wheels.

You mentioned that if race more frequently would instead use latex tubes with sealant inside, that would still be with Corsa Speed tubeless tires?
If yes, then I assume the tires would still be hard to install, with the only difference that you would not face issues when start inflating it (if running it tubeless without a compressor there could be times that when start inflating it, the air doesn't hold into the tire), is that correct?

I should receive the tires in the next few days, so appreciate the feedback. Thanks

Ok, I will admit that I had a lot more trouble setting these up on my Jet 6+ rims than I thought I would. But my main problem was not tightening down the valve stem enough!!! And it took me forever and a whole bottle of sealant before I realized that <embarrased>. I thought the floor pump just wasn't seating the bead for quite a while.

Once I had that fixed it was no problem. Tires weren't as hard to get on as I'd imagined. Used a metal lever to get the last part over, no big deal. Then fill with sealant and used floor pump. I did spin the tire with the sealant in it real quick before pumping up and that seemed to do the trick. Bead seated almost immediately (once valve stem was appropriately tightened, use needle nose or other pliers, finger tight wasn't tight enough).
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
pabloarc wrote:

Ok, I will admit that I had a lot more trouble setting these up on my Jet 6+ rims than I thought I would. But my main problem was not tightening down the valve stem enough!!! And it took me forever and a whole bottle of sealant before I realized that <embarrased>. I thought the floor pump just wasn't seating the bead for quite a while.

Once I had that fixed it was no problem. Tires weren't as hard to get on as I'd imagined. Used a metal lever to get the last part over, no big deal. Then fill with sealant and used floor pump. I did spin the tire with the sealant in it real quick before pumping up and that seemed to do the trick. Bead seated almost immediately (once valve stem was appropriately tightened, use needle nose or other pliers, finger tight wasn't tight enough).

Great example of this tubeless thing not being a piece cake and having some barriers to entry. Regardless careful with those metal levers, I know you have the JETs but I cringe when I see someone using metal levers. Maybe it is an irrational fear, I just prefer to use the Kool-Stop Tire Bead Jack or some thicker Pedro's plastic levers.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
......(once valve stem was appropriately tightened, use needle nose or other pliers, finger tight wasn't tight enough).

Glad you got yours worked out. For others, I would recommend pushing the valve down from behind (like using your thumb to push it 'into' the rim) and then going finger tight from there. That will definitely have it tight enough to seal without accidentally crushing/bending a valve stem or scratching the rim with pliers.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sean, how are going to loosen that nut if you flat?
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
dangle wrote:
Sean H wrote:
......(once valve stem was appropriately tightened, use needle nose or other pliers, finger tight wasn't tight enough).

Glad you got yours worked out. For others, I would recommend pushing the valve down from behind (like using your thumb to push it 'into' the rim) and then going finger tight from there. That will definitely have it tight enough to seal without accidentally crushing/bending a valve stem or scratching the rim with pliers.

I personally do both. I press the valve from behind and use pliers to tighten down hard. If you use one of the thread pieces that's taller, like comes with the Enve's, you don't really risk scratching the rim itself. They are also not hard to remove with your fingers, in my experience

The reality is that the more you switch valve stems in and out of your tubeless set up valve hole the more likely you are to get leaks there. Just for good measure I usually toss another small piece of tubeless tape internally if I have a need to remove and re install the valve completely...I have even used duct tape with success in a pinch. This combined with the pliers pressure very often eliminates issues
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
kileyay wrote:
dangle wrote:
Sean H wrote:

I personally do both. I press the valve from behind and use pliers to tighten down hard. If you use one of the thread pieces that's taller, like comes with the Enve's, you don't really risk scratching the rim itself. They are also not hard to remove with your fingers, in my experience

The reality is that the more you switch valve stems in and out of your tubeless set up valve hole the more likely you are to get leaks there. Just for good measure I usually toss another small piece of tubeless tape internally if I have a need to remove and re install the valve completely...I have even used duct tape with success in a pinch. This combined with the pliers pressure very often eliminates issues

As long as you can get the nut off by hand if (unfortunately) you had to put in a tube during a roadside repair, then I could see doing it that way. I would venture that I'm one of the only people to successfully do a roadside tube repair to a Corsa Speed (with plastic levers) and I can't imagine adding anything to the equation to make that even more difficult. I would caution other readers to make sure they can still remove the valve even after tightening it with the extra torque of pliers. You seem like a guy that generally knows what he's doing with the mechanical side of things so I'm not trying to question your methods. It's just an easy way for somebody else to screw themselves on the side of a road when they can't get their valve stem out.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [dangle] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm using the silca ones with the aero thingies which makes it hard to get your fingers in there. No risk to damaging rim due to aero thingies too.

Joel, I have a plug kit for punctures larger than the sealant can handle. I'll have an extra tube on me just in case but I'm hoping I never have to use it. Im sureness I could manage to get the extender out if I had to. I didn't crank down on it really hard with the pliers.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [kileyay] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
How would people here compare a compressor to one the floor pumps that provide a blast of air to set tubeless tires? I've used compressors in bike shops and they're typically slower than, say, a Co2. Do the tubeless specific floor pumps work better than a compressor?

wovebike.com | Wove on instagram
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The fill rate from a compressor can vary based on the air tool head, tank pressure, and whether you've removed the valve core. I like to remove the valve core, seat the bead, then install the core and inflate it for use.

You can get them to fill pretty quickly. I don't know how that speed compares to the dedicated track pumps, but I know that it's sufficient.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [Nolegs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Nolegs,

How do you find the Dash Disc? I presume it's the Gretchen Clincher V1? I'm interested in one - but haven't ever seen one in the flesh, nor talked to anybody who's owned one.

Thanks!

Samuel Arthur Medway
Perth, Western Australia
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [SamuelMedway] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SamuelMedway wrote:
Hi Nolegs,

How do you find the Dash Disc? I presume it's the Gretchen Clincher V1? I'm interested in one - but haven't ever seen one in the flesh, nor talked to anybody who's owned one.

Thanks!

I have the Gretchen Clincher original disc. The V1 was just recently introduced. Other than the price reduction I'm not really sure what the differences are, if any. Previously I used a wheel cover. I chose the Gretchen to go tubeless with the Corsa Speed tire and for its light weight. I know all the experts say weight is not an issue in a relatively flat TT but I've taken 2nd place in my age division too many times by less than 15 seconds so my opinion is every extra gram adds up to a speed loss I can't afford. So far I'm very happy with my choice. The ride is smooth and stable in very windy conditions. Is it faster? Without a wind tunnel I have no idea.

My plans going forward will be to go tubeless up front also with a new build using AForce's Al33 Clincher Rim. Based on aero data in low to medium yaw conditions and the low rolling resistance of the Corsa Speed this front and rear combo should be hard to beat.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So after fighting with my equipment for what felt like weeks, I'm running the 808, the tubeless sealing tape, the tubeless vittoria CS tire, and a latex tube and I've found.....it holds air much longer than a "regular" tire with a latex tube and "regular" rim strip. So there's that FWIW.

So now.....is there a speed difference between the 808, the Hed 9+, and the Flo 90?

Thanks guys :)

PS for all of the tube fans out there.....

https://janheine.wordpress.com/...-with-road-tubeless/
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [fastskiguy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Between those three, there isn't enough of a speed difference (assuming you have one of the newer FC 808s) to justify the relative ease with which you can mount a tire on a Zipp vs a Hed Jet. I have no experience with Flo's CCs but my Flo 30s aren't exactly easy to mount.

Regarding tubeless road and the Corsa Speed TLRs, I've decided that, for myself, I'm just going to wear through this one set and then otherwise stick with a GP TT in the rear and either an Attack or SS up front with latex tubes. I can swap between those and my GP4000s I use for training in about ten minutes the day before a race and if I get a flat at least I won't be cursing on the side of the road trying to get a tubeless bead off of a rim. YMMV.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Between those three, there isn't enough of a speed difference (assuming you have one of the newer FC 808s) to justify the relative ease with which you can mount a tire on a Zipp vs a Hed Jet. .

How do you know which zipp fc 808 you have? (I bought it used)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
See if you can't find a serial number and check with Zipp.
Quote Reply
Re: Is anybody (successfully) using Vittoria Corsa Speed TLR tubeless? [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The bike pump inflation things like the Bontrager Flash Charger work great. I suppose they travel well too if needed.

I have been doing the tubeless stuff for a dozen years and my inexpensive compressor with fairly modest stats (I can look up the CFM and such later) has always worked. Mountain, fat, cx, road, you name it. A Prestaflator type attachment definitely helps, but I used the standard brass adapter for many years before getting a presta specific attachment. Sometimes taking out the valve core and pushing air straight in helped back when mountain bike tires had slightly looser beads and it was harder to 'catch' them with the air flow. I haven't had to do that in a while though.

I have used the heck out of my compressor for many other things as well. I would think a compressor would make more sense for the majority of people. For somebody that didn't have any desire/need to work on car or house stuff and didn't want a compressor to take up extra space, the Flash Charger type pump makes more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
fastskiguy wrote:

PS for all of the tube fans out there.....

https://janheine.wordpress.com/...-with-road-tubeless/

Sigh...<smh>

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply

Prev Next