Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

story of my life
Quote | Reply
hello tri community my name is Chris and I'm 22 years old. I am graduating from college with a degree in exercise science in 3 weeks then moving on to chiropractic school. I have been through quite a lot in my life and I'd like to tell everyone how endurance sports have helped get me through it. In first grade I went to a private school, I was dyslexic and we didn't find out till later but it caused me a lot of problems and caused me to act out quite a bit; after a year of dealing with a teacher that had no clue how to deal with a student of my needs I was expelled for talking of water guns in school. The teacher told my parents I was the kind of kid that would end up shooting up my high school. I got enrolled at a local public school and that changed my life.

School was going great and I had made quite a few friends, then my life took another turn. In third grade I was molested and did not quite comprehend what was going on till I told my friend and he laughed at me and told all of my friends. I was humiliated and turned to running to clear my head; I found running because of the single best P.E teacher I have ever had. I ran during every recess, lunch break and time I could. Running became my therapy and I learned to cope. This worked for my till 6th grade when I had a cross country coach that made me hate running, I found myself lost and with no direction. My grades started slipping and I started going down hill fast. By high school my parents were close to shipping me off to military school or holding me back, that's when I found triathlon.

When I found triathlon my life turned, I found a community of driven and kind people that made me learn drive, determination and that transferred throughout my life. I turned my life around and my grades got better, I finished my first half at 16, my first full at 17 and my first Ironman brand event at 18 and was the youngest starter/finisher that year. Since then I have made quite a few achievements in triathlon and life until September last year. I competed on team USA at the long course championships 5 weeks after having my appendix removed. Due to some complications I was out of training for 2 weeks and I was not prepared to race. I finished but I spent 2 years trying to get to this point and I was destroyed after not doing well. That in combinations with relationship issues and letting the worth other people gave me and what I was actually worth blended. After several months of internal struggle I hit my breaking point.

February 2nd I found myself standing in the left lane of a highway staring at a semi trucks head lights. After the police were called I spent 4 days in a mental hospital. Since then I have been in therapy but still had problems coping with what I did till last Thursday. I went out for a bike ride and did some hard miles and felt happy for the first time in a long time. I am telling this story to thank everyone for the community you people have all helped create and be a part of. On a lighter note I have come to appreciate life and what it means to live. I have never traveled anywhere other than to race, so I'm going to travel during my last summer I have of college and would like to meet some amazing people from this great community. If you guys have any ideas on where I should go I am all ears!

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Last edited by: tri_big_boy: Apr 26, 17 19:58
Quote Reply
Re: story of my life [tri_big_boy] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I remember you, Chris. I don’t know if you ever saw it, but I captured a few seconds of you on video at your first iron-distance triathlon. You were smiling and slowed down to give me two thumbs-up.

I feel terrible about the struggles you’ve gone through in your life, but I’m very glad you’re still with us, and moving forward in life in a positive way.

Sorry, I really don’t have any suggestions for you on where to travel this summer. (I'm not a traveler, myself.) Hopefully, some of the other triathletes here can give you some ideas.

Congratulations on your upcoming graduation, and I wish you the best.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Where have you traveled to race? Any place you've always wanted to go? It looks like you're in Kansas? Should be warm enough pretty soon in New England or Pacific Northwest to race. Maybe start there and work your way south as the weather gets cooler?

--Chris
Quote Reply
Re: story of my life [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for sharing your story.....(it might be a little easier to read if you broke it up into paragraphs). Anyway, sounds like you have been through a lot and congratulations on completing your degree! That is awesome. I have not had the same struggles as you, but have things I am working through (just as everyone does). The tri community is a great community for support and I am glad you are doing well. Travel...well you are young, a nice vacation for me would be hanging around my house, training and getting a lot of sleep, so perhaps some of the younger crowd can give you advice about where to go. Best of luck!
Quote Reply
Re: story of my life [Jim @ LOTO, MO] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I do remember, I have watched that video more times than I'd like to admit haha

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Re: story of my life [chriselam] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've stayed in the mid west mostly. Oklahoma, Nebraska, Illinois, Wisconsin, Texas, Florida, Kansas, and West Virginia

ART, MDT, DNS, MPI, FST
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Head west then? Do you have a car? There's some beautiful driving and riding up and down the west coast.

--Chris
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Cheers for the story mate :)
Quote Reply