Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

CRUX Bottom Bracket Question...
Quote | Reply
Long shot here...to see if anyone has dealt with this. I have a 2012 Crux (link below)...no modifications except its 50/34. It makes a tremendous amount of noise in the BB and crankset. Click-clack that will drive anyone insane.

Specialized dealer and non-dealer shops are unable to resolve and have really no idea what my options are. I've heard everything from you need a Wheels Mfg adapter to a whole new crankset. I'm fine either way, just want to get rid of the problem. Apparently there's a special tool to pull the crank that no one has either.

Does anyone have a clue where I should begin to solve this? Thanks.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/crux-elite/93285
Quote Reply
Re: CRUX Bottom Bracket Question... [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
JimMoss wrote:
Long shot here...to see if anyone has dealt with this. I have a 2012 Crux (link below)...no modifications except its 50/34. It makes a tremendous amount of noise in the BB and crankset. Click-clack that will drive anyone insane.

Specialized dealer and non-dealer shops are unable to resolve and have really no idea what my options are. I've heard everything from you need a Wheels Mfg adapter to a whole new crankset. I'm fine either way, just want to get rid of the problem. Apparently there's a special tool to pull the crank that no one has either.

Does anyone have a clue where I should begin to solve this? Thanks.

https://www.specialized.com/us/en/crux-elite/93285

I'm surprised an experienced Specialized dealer doesn't have repair options for you. Looking back on the 2012 Crux specs it appears that your bike has a BB30 bottom bracket and came with an FSA Omega crankset. If you still have this crank it should only require a 10mm Allen wrench to turn the self extracting bolt on the NDS crankarm and pop the arm off. The DS crankarm and spindle can the. Be pushed or lightly tapped out of the BB bearings.

True BB30 bottom bracket bearings are pressed directly into the frame up against circlip stoppers. If your spindle is properly greased the noises could be from worn out bearings that need replacement. If the bearings turn smoothly, it could be that they fit loose in the frame. You can tap out bearings with a punch or BB30 braking removal drift or tool. New bearings can. Then be pressed in using a botto, bracket type press and drifts. If your frame shell tolerances are loose you may have to use loctite bearing retainer to reduce any gap. Specialized may have a documented approach for this fix. Cannondale definitely does.
Quote Reply
Re: CRUX Bottom Bracket Question... [JimMoss] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I own an almost identical bike. I also immediately changed the praxis works BB and crank upon purchase, inserted BB30 bearings and just used specialized 30 to 24mm spacers and installed a shimano 50/34 crank. I did this with the mindset that if it creaked uncontrollably I would immediately replace with a wheels manufacturing (or similar) outboard/full sleeve BB.

Mine has been pretty much faultless in this configuration so no need to replace the BB, however I have another bike in which I'll very soon replace a PF30 BB with a wheels manufacturing BB. Note that I'm not replacing this due to creaking, but for other reasons. I would, however, recommend this as the best way to avoid BB creak in these cases.

Maybe just been lucky, but all my bikes for the past ~6 years have had BB30 or PF30 BB shells, and have never had a problem removing a creak. I'm sure you've done this, but have to ask: have you had the entire BB removed, throw out and replace clips and bearings, grease everything heavily and if using a 24mm axle crank, use spacers such as the wheels manufacturing ones made of delrin (ie not metal), so they're less prone to creak?
Quote Reply