Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

How often do you replace your bottom bracket?
Quote | Reply
My BB is over 3 years old with ~20K miles on it. How often do y'all replace them. Right now I have a SRAM GXP on my bike. Any suggestions for a non ceramic upgrade? Hawk? Chris King?

Let food be thy medicine...
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you replace your bottom bracket? [JackStraw13] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Mine has the pf30 bracket. I replaced the bearings at 38k miles, as they started to make all kinds of funny noises and scratching sounds. I have 22k on the new bearings and all is fine. I did have it cleaned and serviced a week ago. Bearings are fine though. I would say to expect 30-40k miles from the bearings.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:
My BB is over 3 years old with ~20K miles on it. How often do y'all replace them. Right now I have a SRAM GXP on my bike. Any suggestions for a non ceramic upgrade? Hawk? Chris King?

My bike is similar in age, I took the chain off and noticed some serious rubbing sound when I spun the cranks. BB was bad. I went with Kogel.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Really when it's necessary. Hard to give an exact mileage since riding conditions vary so much. On my CX bike I replace on average 1.5 times per year. Road/Tri much less often.

------------------------------------------------------------
Any run that doesn't include pooping in someone's front yard is a win.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
JackStraw13 wrote:

I have a Cervelo 2008 P2c with a MegaExo BB that came stock with the bike. I did zero maintenance to the BB since I've owned it and rode it pretty hard.

That BB was perhaps the one piece on my bike that was NOT fused solid from sweat/age. It was actually greased well, came out easily, and had plenty of goopy grease still in there. Pedaling was also totally fine, no catches, no problems.

I suspect if a BB is installed correctly, it can last there for a lonnngg time on a road bike.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have GXP to fit my Quarq. To answer your question..

When I was using SRAM stuff, which I now assume to be made out of carrot cake? Frequently.

Since changing to Hope? Never. Steel bearings.
Last edited by: knighty76: Apr 26, 17 14:48
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you replace your bottom bracket? [CCF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Really when it's necessary. Hard to give an exact mileage since riding conditions vary so much. On my CX bike I replace on average 1.5 times per year. Road/Tri much less often.

This!

There is no one answer here other than - when it needs to be replaced!

The variables are riding conditions (wet/dry), volume of riding, style of BB etc . . .

If you take the chain off the chain-rings and then let the crank spin freely - what does it feel like? When the BB and bearings are in good shape (and installed properly), it should spin freely easily and with no noises. If it's not spinning freely, or there is any kind of noise coming from the BB, then it should be looked at and replaced.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: How often do you replace your bottom bracket? [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
knighty76 wrote:

When I was using SRAM stuff, which I now assume to be made out of carrot cake? Frequently.

Since changing to Hope? Never. Steel bearings.

x2. I had to replace my SRAM GXP BB around every 6 months.. I've got over 2 years on a Wheels Manufacturing GXP BB.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
About every 100,000km (it's an SKF square taper).

Wonderful things.

-------------------------------
´Get the most aero and light bike you can get. With the aero advantage you can be saving minutes and with the weight advantage you can be saving seconds. In a race against the clock both matter.´

BMANX
Quote Reply