Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28?
Quote | Reply
I am not bike savvy. My LBS is my best friend. I have a Felt IA14 that has Shimano 11 speed and an 12-28 cassette. If I buy a new wheelset (to swap between trainer and outdoors), does the new cassette also have to be 12-28 or can it be 11-28?

Thanks!
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I swap between 11-28 and 12-28 cassettes regularly. If your chain is the correct length the derailleur should have no problems handling the difference between an 11 and 12 tooth cog.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [uptown423] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
First, if I were you, I would double-check. When I bought my IA16, the Felt website said it was a 12-28 cassette, but it was actually a 11-28. Your IA14 may have a 11-28 on it. The number of teeth is etched on the sprocket.

Next, it does not matter what cassette you use for the other wheelset. The wheels will interchange fine, regardless of the cassette size. Heck, you could put a 11-25, 11-23, or whatever fits the conditions.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thank you! Super helpful. I appreciate it!
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
exxxviii wrote:
First, if I were you, I would double-check. When I bought my IA16, the Felt website said it was a 12-28 cassette, but it was actually a 11-28. Your IA14 may have a 11-28 on it. The number of teeth is etched on the sprocket.

Next, it does not matter what cassette you use for the other wheelset. The wheels will interchange fine, regardless of the cassette size. Heck, you could put a 11-25, 11-23, or whatever fits the conditions.
This. I have ordered 12/28 cassettes twice, but what was shipped was actually 11/28. 12/28 is somewhat rare it seems?

Yeah if the chain is correct length you can swap those cassettes no problem. You won't even need to adjust shifting as long as the swap was done right. For example if there's a spacer it needs to go back in the same position, or the indexing would be off.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
All other things being equal, the only time you need to worry about chain length in these cases is when the easiest gear (i.e. the biggest ring) on the new cassette is larger after the change. Like if you went from 11-28 to 11-30 (or to 12-30). In that case, if the chain was cut fairly close to tolerance, there is a chance it might be too short for the new full range of gears. (Yes, everybody tries to avoid cross-chaining but from time to time it happens and you need a chain that can handle it, at least momentarily.) Or there's a chance that your rear derailleur might not be able to handle it.

But when the only change is in the smallest cassette ring, it rarely matters. Certainly not when that smallest right gets larger.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have never seen a 12-28 cassette.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
That's the thing. Me neither. I have seen them for sale, twice, and ordered, and got 11/28 both times.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I had a 7 speed MTB in that ratio if it counts ... lol !

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:

I have one.

I did have to special order it.

Once, I was fast. But I got over it.
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What brand and model is it?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shimano makes a 12-28, but only in Dura-Ace. Ultregra and lower only have 11-28. But I've always felt the pricing on the DA cassettes was pretty ridiculous anyway, Ultegra makes a lot more sense.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
uptown423 wrote:
I am not bike savvy. My LBS is my best friend. I have a Felt IA14 that has Shimano 11 speed and an 12-28 cassette. If I buy a new wheelset (to swap between trainer and outdoors), does the new cassette also have to be 12-28 or can it be 11-28?

Thanks!

I thought the 12-28 was one of the old 10spd options?

Colorado Triathlon Company, CO2UT 2021, Crooked Gravel 2022, Steamboat Gravel 2022
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

Shimano Ultegra.

It is a 12 - 25 according to my purchase history.

It came in a sealed Shimano box with the 12 - 25 checked. I never bothered to actually count the teeth though.

It is on my to do list for this evening!

Last edited by: hblake: Apr 26, 17 14:43
Quote Reply
Re: Quick Question about Cassettes - 11-28 versus 12-28? [hblake] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You said that you have a 12-28.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are you specifically after that ratio, or just interested ? :-)

WD :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply

I thought that I did but upon getting home I counted and it is 12 - 25.

Quote Reply