Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: IMTX Race Report (last minute entry for a big training day) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I was trying to ignore your mention of gummy worms as I have a mild addiction to them . . . but since you insist I will have to try it out. ;-)

I'll let you know how it goes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report (last minute entry for a big training day) [robgray] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Rob,

Do you ever try taking in less calories and seeing if that makes any difference? Personally, I perform very close to the same with 225-475 cals per hour. It just does not make much difference. Did Texas with 240 an hour on the bike and PR'd the run, for example. Had good days in racing and training with WAY different intakes.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report (last minute entry for a big training day) [DBF] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
DBF wrote:
Rob,

Do you ever try taking in less calories and seeing if that makes any difference? Personally, I perform very close to the same with 225-475 cals per hour. It just does not make much difference. Did Texas with 240 an hour on the bike and PR'd the run, for example. Had good days in racing and training with WAY different intakes.

Yes I think I could get away with less if I rode the bike a bit easier. For example at 210-220w I'm only burning carbs at about 400-450 calories per hour (measured with metabolic tests), so 250 would probably be ok in that case. But for IMTX specifically, I knew that my run would end up being about 3:30, so to do well I had to bike a lot harder. Everyone in the top 10 of my AG ran faster than that, so I had no choice but to outbike them... and at the higher power levels I'm burning through carbs pretty quickly. If I only took 250 per hour I would've faded towards the end of the bike (but probably run the same - I can run 8:00 pace on virtually zero)

Are you ready to do an Ultraman? | How I calculate Ironman race fueling | Strength Training for Athletes |
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
robgray wrote:
Barlow wrote:
Hi Rob,

Do you add the ginger beer to your nutrition purely for taste or does it help you absorb more calories? Just interested how you got to 500 calories. Did you experiment with different drinks?

(My limit with is 350cal/hr which is 100cal fructose/250 cal malto)

Thanks,

Will

Hey Will - mainly for taste, and also the ginger helps settle the stomach a bit. It also gives me an extra 150 calories or so. It doesn't help me to absorb more. I got to that high intake purely by accident. Back in 2012 I was using EFS liquid shot in races. That's 400 calories in a bottle, but one bottle per hour would cause some bloating for me, so I would aim for 4 bottles over 5 hours. I wanted to use it in training too, but it was very expensive to do that with the actual EFS, so I bought some maltodextrin powder and fructose powder to make my own "simulated EFS liquid shot". I just mixed it in a 2:1 ratio and then went out on a training ride. It worked quite well, but when I got back I realized I'd make a calculation error, and taken in 600 calories on my 90 minute ride. And I felt just fine! I was building up to IM Los Cabos 2013, so I started experimenting with 500-600 per hour during my race sims (120 mile bike followed by 8-10 mile run), and everything went fine. So at IM Los Cabos 2013 I dialed it back a little because it was hot. I think about 450 per hour if I recall, and I had a great race. The success seems to be the inclusion of both malto and fructose (they have different transport systems) and then the addition of gummy worms seems to help too (for me anyway). If I try maltodextrin alone, or fructose alone, I cannot take in that much. Recently I have also been concentrating my Glukos energy powder (commercial drink mix) and that seems to work well too (probably because it's so simple without complicated ingredients)

Rob do you have a theory about why Malto + Fructose works better for you than the same number of cals from either Malto alone or Fructose alone?

By the way, just as an FYI outside of training, I have been consuming about 1L of Olive oil per 2 weeks by adding large helpings in salads or soups. This is around 500 mL MORE olive oil than I would have in my weekly diet than 4 months along 500 mL. The quick math is 4000 cals out of my week coming from this source. I have gone from around 146 lbs at Xmas time to 138-139 lbs now. I am doing my usual 2 hrs of training per day, so nothing different there. I am not trying to limit my diet elsewhere, I am just eating to "feel" if I am hungry I eat more other stuff, if I am less hungry, I eat less. I THINK I am less hungry as my insulin is more stable over the day. What do you think is going on? I have also experimented with higher fat snacks before workouts, but none of my workouts are long enough right now to actually need to eat anything during workouts....eating right now is outside of workouts.
Quote Reply
Re: IMTX Race Report (last minute entry for a big training day) [devashish_paul] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Maltodextrin and fructose are digested slightly differently. Too much fructose and you are going to end up with the craps no doubt. I think it's fructose malabsorption.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
New Training/Racing Log - http://www.earthdaykid.com/blog --- Old Training/Racing Log - http://colinlaughery.blogspot.com
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow, awesome job!
Quote Reply

Prev Next