Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Scientific brake pad testing - Any out there?
Quote | Reply
Hi All,

Google and a forum search have failed me - I'm looking for some objective testing done on brake pads and their stopping power etc (same wheel, calipers...). Similar to the "shootouts" that we often see aero wheels tested in.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence kicking around, but everybody seems to have their own preference (kool stop, Swisstop, and Shimano crop up a lot)

Obviously there are some manufacturers which have their own in-house pads designed for their wheels, which probably couldn't be fairly tested in that enviroment.
I'm just looking for some pads that I can use on my alloy rims (FLO 30) and be confident that I shouldn't have looked elsewhere for my braking needs.

Thanks
Quote Reply
Re: Scientific brake pad testing - Any out there? [Liaman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A manufacturer neutral test protocol including all compositions, combinations, conditions and braking skills satisfying all levels of cyclists is not on the horizon .. the best is still to ask racers scrubbing down parts monthly ..

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Last edited by: sausskross: Apr 27, 17 2:14
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:
Hi All,

Google and a forum search have failed me - I'm looking for some objective testing done on brake pads and their stopping power etc (same wheel, calipers...). Similar to the "shootouts" that we often see aero wheels tested in.

There's lots of anecdotal evidence kicking around, but everybody seems to have their own preference (kool stop, Swisstop, and Shimano crop up a lot)

Obviously there are some manufacturers which have their own in-house pads designed for their wheels, which probably couldn't be fairly tested in that enviroment.
I'm just looking for some pads that I can use on my alloy rims (FLO 30) and be confident that I shouldn't have looked elsewhere for my braking needs.

Thanks

I really think any of the brands you mentioned will be just fine. Make sure the pads are rated for alloy aluminum rims and you will be in good shape.

I hope that helps,

Chris Thornham
Co-Founder And Previous Owner Of FLO Cycling
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Liaman wrote:

Thanks

It is not peer reviewed research, but I have had extraordinary results with kool stop salmon pads on my AL rimmed wheels in both wet and dry.

Advanced Aero TopTube Storage for Road, Gravel, & Tri...ZeroSlip & Direct-mount, made in the USA.
DarkSpeedWorks.com.....Reviews.....Insta.....Facebook

--
Quote Reply
Re: Scientific brake pad testing - Any out there? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
n=2

___/\___/\___/\___
the s u r f b o a r d of the K u r p f a l z is the r o a d b i k e .. oSo >>
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have a pair of Flo wheels and noticed a big difference when switching from the stock pads to Kool stop.

Been using that combination for some years with great stopping power :-)
Quote Reply
Re: Scientific brake pad testing - Any out there? [DarkSpeedWorks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks DSW, Sausskross, Rikala,

I'll give the salmons a go
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Good decision. I switched to these a couple of months ago and they are a significant improvement over stock shimano pads on Ultegra 6800 calipers. A minor expense for a significant benefit.
Quote Reply