Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [tilburs] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
http://www.builtlean.com/...ercentage-men-women/

Veins visible on abs is getting close to too low, depends how visible they are.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Wow that's crazy. Seriously thank you for the great info.

24 Hour World TT Champs-American record holder
Fat Bike Worlds - Race Director
Insta: chris.s.apex
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Greater Minneapolis / St. Paul metro.

Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [cmscat50] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fascinating. Let us know how it goes.

Personally, I am too impatient to go that slowly. I shoot for just under 2 lbs per week. After three weeks I'll take a maintenance week.
I find that if I keep a good protein intake and a moderate weight lifting regimen I don't lose muscle.
I haven't been down below 9% using this protocol, but I'm going to try to get to 6-7% after a competition this week.

Your mind definitely plays tricks on you as you drop. Am I losing strength or power? Do I look weird? Am I losing muscle (which is so hard to gain back)? Maybe this just isn't right for me? During a successful weight loss protocol, I really feel the weight loss -- it's definitely not the hunger because I'm not that hungry -- driving my thoughts. Your OP seems like an example of that to me.
Last edited by: SH: Apr 25, 17 16:12
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [kjmcawesome] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What training plan / method are you using to get your FTP up? TrainerRoad?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Can you still do a pull-up? Can you lift anything heavier than your 15 Pound road bike? If so you have too much upper body muscle weighing you down for being a cyclist. Seriously have you seen pics of those guys? /pink (sort of)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tilburs wrote:
If you are persistently running a calorie deficit of >30kcal/kg of lean body mass then you are basically throwing any beneficial adaptation to your training under the bus.

You see it every year at Kona folks starving themselves down to % bodyfat bodybuilders would be proud of then wondering why they are "flat" and "lacking energy" mid race.

David

Thanks for the tip, I need to keep my persistent calorie deficit below 2000Kcal per day, seems doable by eating every now and then!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Sorry I can't comment on whether you are too lean and you have some good advice here.

Are doing any running? Might be a good time to have a go at some of your pbs. I would expect that type of weight loss to increase your 5k. If not then a sign that maybe you are on the wrong wide of lean? However, it sounds like you are pretty focused on getting to 5w/kg. Where are you now with this?
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [newManUK] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Due to 2+ years of unbeatable itbs I'm not running and have no plans to do so soon. That said I can feel a difference in the weight just jogging across a parking lot!

You asked so... About 5.1 w/kg

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
cmscat50 wrote:
You asked so... About 5.1 w/kg

Very nice!!
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [NUFCrichard] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
NUFCrichard wrote:
tilburs wrote:
If you are persistently running a calorie deficit of >30kcal/kg of lean body mass then you are basically throwing any beneficial adaptation to your training under the bus.

You see it every year at Kona folks starving themselves down to % bodyfat bodybuilders would be proud of then wondering why they are "flat" and "lacking energy" mid race.

David

Thanks for the tip, I need to keep my persistent calorie deficit below 2000Kcal per day, seems doable by eating every now and then!
A deficit of 2000kcal per day is just crazy! You are losing a lot of fitness by doing it that fast. 500 is enough.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I'd like to make a general comment that if you are female and reading this thread, not having periods is a sign of being too lean, not eating enough, or a combination of the two.

Carry on.

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am a little glad I don't have to race the omnium and get my head kicked in by you this year. Although I am a little sad that I can't make the omnium this year.
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
I'd like to make a general comment that if you are female and reading this thread, not having periods is a sign of being too lean, not eating enough, or a combination of the two.

Carry on.

It seems like the "too lean" threshold for men vs. woman is around 10% difference. That's a lot when it comes to optimizing power/weight. It's quite the advantage men have when comparing the pointy end of each gender - I've never thought of the differences between genders in this light.

And to add, can cause long term issues that can significantly hamper you (or completely stop you) in the sport itself, like a decrease in estrogen production reducing bone density.
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [Bonesbrigade] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Carry on.
It seems like the "too lean" threshold for men vs. woman is around 10% difference. That's a lot when it comes to optimizing power/weight. It's quite the advantage men have when comparing the pointy end of each gender - I've never thought of the differences between genders in this light.

What do you mean by 10% difference?

If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Carry on.

I'm not sure how accurate the link is above (article showing BF differences at different percentages for both men and women). It seems to indicate the low end for men is 6-7% and the low end for women around 15-17%. That's just my take away from reading the article - like I said, I don't know how accurate that is.

Quote:
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:

Carry on.

I'm not sure how accurate the link is above (article showing BF differences at different percentages for both men and women). It seems to indicate the low end for men is 6-7% and the low end for women around 15-17%. That's just my take away from reading the article - like I said, I don't know how accurate that is.

Gotcha. I've heard similar figures, but it's important to pay attention to one's body.

Quote Reply
Re: Signals of too lean!!? [elrasc06] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote:
And to add, can cause long term issues that can significantly hamper you (or completely stop you) in the sport itself, like a decrease in estrogen production reducing bone density.

Yup.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks for posting this thread. A lot of great information on here. Reading all of the comments has really motivated me in the past few days to try and drop a few stubborn pounds. And when I say few, I mean a lot.
Quote Reply

Prev Next