Prev Next
Re: Talk to me about pedals [RangerGress] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
SharkFM wrote:
tridork wrote:
RangerGress wrote:
tridork wrote:

Stack height? are you talking about how high your foot is stacked above the centreline of the pedal axis? Or are you talking about the stack of the frame?

From what I've seen, there is maybe 1cm (3/8th inch?) difference between the best and worst pedals when it comes to distance above centreline for pedals. As long as your bike position is moved up or down the 5mm everything remains the same, so is of no consequence.

Now you have me thinking. I'll have to get my micrometer out and check what the stack height is for my various brands of SPD pedals and cleats.

Distance from pedal axis to base of shoe.

Re. Is of no consequence. Difference between best and worse is, is prob > 20cm. The Coombe stack height is prob ~6mm. Just because a casual glance at the issue of stack height makes it appear to be of no consequence, doesn't make the casual glance correct. This guy says low stack height is useful.http://www.bikepro.com.au/bike-fit-myth-debunking[/quote[/url]]

20mm maybe?

After experimenting a bit between different shoes etc.on Look, & other designs - I have the following custom solution, been running for 5 years now:

1. "zero" stack. Extra leg extension and lower to the road feeling it's great
2. Organic but secure connection, very safe too
3. I can run in and out of transition because my shoes are cleat-less (no hardware)
4. Super light weight and very aero. I'll bet the most aero connect out there.

If I were to race a market solution vote would probably go to Speedplay but the the cleats are outrageous imo.

And.....you're keeping the details of your fabulous custom solution.....secret?

Nope - they are on the twitter feed scroll to : 13 Jul 2016
I've been riding this 1st / original prototype since the day I made them. I rode them to fastest bike split one year, so they do perform well. No real issues, other than have to replace the loop "cleat" /season. I would like someone else, perhaps a pro to try them out. They are reserved for race and pre-race dial in. I don't use them day-day riding. Requires the shoe be formed to the pedal so I suppose the Bonts are ideal. Bonts are a thin sole shoe too.

Need more grip = go w/bigger pedal.

Training Tweets: https://twitter.com/Jagersport_com
FM Sports: http://fluidmotionsports.com
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [SharkFM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hard to tell what I'm looking at, but more power to you.

Subject change. I played around with all my Coombe cleats tonight. I found that mechanically, some have important bits, worn. That wear is allowing the shoe to rotate right off the pedal if not restrained by my foot. So I'm trying to mod the cleats a bit to compensate for the wear. Fortunately, I have a lot of backup Coombe parts to play with.

Bummer that Coombe's triumphant 2014 return didn't quite materialize.

Books @ Amazon
"If only he had used his genius for niceness, instead of Evil." M. Smart
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RangerGress wrote:
Speedplay Stack height, 4 hole vs. 3 hole shoe. According to Speedplay their stack height is 8.5mm on a 4 hole shoe and 12.5mm on a 3 hole shoe. I'm not sure what the stack height is on the Coombes, but it ain't much. So in an attempt to maintain the "ain't much", I just spent some time looking at 4 hole shoes. So let me bounce this off of you....

I looked at pics of the soles of various 4 hole shoes and it looks to me, in every case, like the 4 hole platform is quite thick. So maybe chasing after low stack height by choosing a 4 hole shoe is a waste of time because the thick sole on the shoe negates any advantage of the native Speedplay compatibility (no adapter needed). Your thoughts?

Some Lake TX312 (4 hole) showed up at my door. I measured their sole thickness to see if it was as thick as it appeared. To my surprise, it seems to be an honest 3mm mm thinner then my Sidi T1's. That would seem to indicate that TX312's and a 4 hole Speedplay cleat really is the sweet low stack height solution.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hello RangerGress and All,

I have some Lake 4 hole shoes and they are heavy .... compared to Giro SLX and Bont.

There is a trade off to consider .....

Cheers, Neal

+1 mph Faster
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [nealhe] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
nealhe wrote:
Hello RangerGress and All,

I have some Lake 4 hole shoes and they are heavy .... compared to Giro SLX and Bont.

There is a trade off to consider .....
Hmm. I'd not considered that so I went and weighed the shoes. The Lake TX312's are 2.2 oz lighter then the Sidi T1's they may be replacing.

Books @ Amazon
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Are Speedplay easier to lock into than Look? I've been using Look for years and for the love of everything holy I have a hell of a time getting locked in. For triathlons it's fine since shoes are locked in prior to race start. Riding on road and having to stop for traffic can be a little bit of a production.

Also, you're on crack if you think Chipolte (sp) is better than Qdoba

Quote | Reply
Economist wrote:
Are Speedplay easier to lock into than Look? I've been using Look for years and for the love of everything holy I have a hell of a time getting locked in. For triathlons it's fine since shoes are locked in prior to race start. Riding on road and having to stop for traffic can be a little bit of a production.

Also, you're on crack if you think Chipolte (sp) is better than Qdoba

Let's put it this way. After spending some time on Speedplay I would switch back to Look in a heart beat if I was confident they were faster. I much prefer the feel of Look from a power transfer perspective along with engagement/disengagement. Speedplay IMHO are too easy to disengage and too hard to engage.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
Let's put it this way. After spending some time on Speedplay I would switch back to Look in a heart beat if I was confident they were faster. I much prefer the feel of Look from a power transfer perspective along with engagement/disengagement. Speedplay IMHO are too easy to disengage and too hard to engage.

I rode X2s for years and never had a problem with disengaging. For engaging, try pushing forward and down instead of straight down. This works better if you engage on the downstroke rather than at the bottom of the stoke.

As a food-for-thought only question, how hard would it be to devise a test to determine if the perceived better power transfer of Look exceeded the better aerodynamics of Speedplay?
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [FatandSlow] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
FatandSlow wrote:
Thomas Gerlach wrote:

I rode X2s for years and never had a problem with disengaging. For engaging, try pushing forward and down instead of straight down. This works better if you engage on the downstroke rather than at the bottom of the stoke.

As a food-for-thought only question, how hard would it be to devise a test to determine if the perceived better power transfer of Look exceeded the better aerodynamics of Speedplay?

I am not hung up on power transfer per se. As I alluded to I believe in this thread earlier it is the "ice skating" feeling that I don't like. If Speedplay is more aerodynamic, which they claim, and at least can back up IMHO, they win for me as a user that is trying to go fast.

The reality is this is the benefi,t but if the benefit didn't exist I would be back on Look. I simply like them better after two months on Speedplay. For the casual user though, there is no way I am recommending Speedplay. They just require more maintenance and know-how in terms of installing and maintaining.

Save: $50 on Speed Hound Recovery Boots | $20 on Air Relax| $100 on Normatec| 15% on Most Absorbable Magnesium

Blogs: Best CHEAP Zwift / Bike Trainer Desk | Theragun G3 vs $140 Bivi Percussive Massager | Normatec Pulse 2.0 vs Normatec Pulse | Speed Hound vs Normatec | Air Relax vs Normatec | Q1 2018 Blood Test Results | | Why HED JET+ Is The BEST value wheelset
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Only reply to you as it's last in thread.

I've been riding keywin forever. I haven't measured the stack but they are pretty low.

Also low profile under the shoe.

Light weight if that matters.

Very low Maintenance. But, they can get fouled by mud, etc.

You used to be able to buy the axles in different lengths to customize q factor. Which is why I started using them. Haven't checked recently.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
So after 6-ish months of using the Speedplay pedals are your thoughts the same?

Matt
Quote Reply
Re: Talk to me about pedals [Pun_Times] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Pun_Times wrote:
So after 6-ish months of using the Speedplay pedals are your thoughts the same?

My thoughts are pretty much exactly the same. I didn't do a great job of lubing them and I also did just get a finished pair of custom shoes built with 4-bolt. If Look was definitely proven to be faster aerodynamically I would go back in an instant. I can see why some techies / gear heads (myself included) could like them, but in today's day of age with 24-7 work responsibility, I have bigger things to worry about then lubing cleats. Sorry for the delay in responding btw.

Quote Reply

Prev Next