Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [skankyleg] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
In light of recent results i.e. Ironman Texas, there happened to be a few individuals who not only beat the entire pro women field but also edged out more than a handful of pro men. This happens at just about every race and most likely has been discussed at some point but at what point in your racing career do you bite the bullet and get the heck out of the age group field?!?! If the first 2 podium spots of the age group are occupied by individuals swimming sub 1 hour with a 4:30 bike and a sub 3 hour run while taking out a handful of pro's what the hell is going on?!?! Just hand them over a Kona spot and put them in some personalized ''people with good genes who ran at a D1 college but are only fast enough to be a B or C grade pro but do not want to get their pro card because they will get lost in the shuffle'' class. Thoughts on sandbagging?

Seriously.....127 responses to a question or concern that should not even exist. People are faster than you that are in your category and you want them out of your category so you can be higher in the category? Who are you people?
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is by no means what the discussion was about but thank you for your useless input.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
That is by no means what the discussion was about but thank you for your useless input.

That is exactly what the discussion was about. Care to expand on why it is sandbagging when you race fast and win your category?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:

I got some crap medals I won in some crappy local events....create a category where you will be the winner and I will send one to you to you....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
skankyleg wrote:
You're not convincing anyone!

However, your comebacks are scathing, so be proud of those ;)
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Steve-oH!] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Let's be honest, you never won a damn thing in your life. Participation trophy?
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have not read this entire thread...but will respond as if the main question is, why not go (or stay) pro?

My last year racing that way I had 2 of my best ironman races to date and neither 1. earned a single dollar racing or 2. placed within 8% of the pro winner. So, racing pro was not only not an option for me any more at that point, but I was a bit emotionally beat. So I then took some time away from triathlon. Decided to race a marathon. In the course of training for the marathon missed triathlon, blah blah. So, signed up for another triathlon!

I would only go pro if I thought I could earn money (not a living, but at least place 'in the money') at the majority of races entered. To me, this would justify training and racing as a pro and feeling like I belonged there....and there do seem to be haters no matter which route someone chooses, so I'm just doing what makes the most sense to me. My Texas time would not have been a podium or in the money finish. So, for now I enjoy training and racing as a hobby (maybe excessively). But also don't feel like missing a workout to do something else, eating an extra donut on occasion, or anything else like that is as big of a deal because it is a hobby I want to do well at, not something I am doing as a professional and need to be ALL in for.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
So, choosing family, friends, and career over a hobby doesn't warrant self respect? Maybe Clay should put 12 lines of sponsor pimps and wannabe, has-been credentials on his ST sig to feel better about himself. Sorry that true self respect isn't a thing for you.
Quote Reply
Re: Age grouper? Pro? new class all together? [Thomas Gerlach] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thomas Gerlach wrote:
stankyleg87 wrote:
Maybe they dont have to ''make the jump'' to pro.... maybe, as the title suggests, they can be a part of a new class all together. 8:30 for an IM can not be used as a reference point or ''setting the bar'' for even competative AG'ers. I mean, whats next? Pros entering non pro races like IM MOO to steal the overall victory?

Fwiw, I raced in a non-pro race this weekend in Clermont. It was Saturday night. Then I got up and did a non-pro half-marathon as well this next morning.

The reality is we have pro races, >$5000 by USAT, in the US, you need a pro card. If it is not a pro race then you are more the welcome to race, you just can't do a pro race and then enter the age-group field. You have to race as a pro. The reality is I am not a human punching bag all the time. Please don't use a word like 'steal'. I woke up out of bed, walked two blocks and did Ironman Wisconsin. I didn't take someones Kona spot. I didn't train for it, I didn't even know if I could get further than 1 hour into the bike. I wasn't going to travel half way across the world to DNF a race and find out. Sometimes racing in your backyard is best. I do it often. In fact if you look at my bio, take a look at what I say my favorite workout is.

The reality is the local paper wrote it up like I "bandit" the race and that wasn't cool. Although I don't care, you have people in the community that go up to my mom and think their son "bandited" the race like someone does the local 5k. Although I have thick skin, that doesn't mean she does, and that isn't cool. The reality is Ironman got paid for the entry just like anyone else. I wasn't given any special treatment because I was a pro that no other age-grouper would be entitled to. I didn't have my own porta potty, I didn't get an appearance fee from Ironman. Did I shake the foundation a little bit, sure. Did Ironman learn something from the experience, well it has be communicated at least to me that the process has officially changed. I think that is a good thing. The same mistakes won't be made again and I am all for improvement for everything in life.

But back to the topic. I didn't run D1 or D2 or even D3. I learned to swim at 26. I just try to find a better version of myself every day of my life. I look at my competition as people who challenge me to get out of bed and work harder regardless of their background. Should Ironman move to a time-based system or some other system. I don't know but right now Kona is a pretty special thing. There is limited space. I admire anyone that wants to fight to change the system for the better. The reality is you have arguably two of the best age-groupers in the sport at Texas. Ryan finished 4th at the World Champs and has his bowl. Clay is one of the best as well winning two Ironmans last year. Is that sandbaggin? Or is that just racing??? I don't know.

Should we have separate pro distinction for anyone that is a pro but didn't race ITU, how about if they didn't learn to swim until 25+. How about if you are pro and you work part-time, or full-time etc. The answer to me is no. It is a level playing field but the bar is there, keep it simple. The sport continues to get faster and faster and that is a reality. The reality is also the course was short. The course was short on the bike, the run, and it was an ideal day. Matt Hanson went 17 minutes faster than 2015 the year he won, Ronnie went 25 minutes faster finishing 2nd instead of 3rd in 2015. The course was smoking fast, no doubt about it. Moving it earlier helped too but the reality is if we scale Ronnie and Matt's performance, Clay going 9:00 is what the bar was at. That is very typical fast age-group time. If you got a smokin fast time on Sunday cherish it because unlike the 2012 Ironman St George, that time is going to look good on the resume.

Thanks for the great post. Inspiring.

https://www.strava.com/...tes/zachary_mckinney
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would prefer if it was a little more like bike racing where each category is broken down by skill level. You get points for placings and are given the choice of upgrading once you reach a threshold, but are forced to upgrade if you cross a certain line. Sure, there's still some sandbagging, but, in my experience, the field at most races are pretty competitive and I've been in a lot of bike races, at least in Colorado. This would ensure that at least the AG's that compete at a pro level are, in fact, competing with the class that they should be (obviously details would need to be worked out to avoid gaming the system too much).
Last edited by: jhammond: Mar 1, 19 14:13
Quote Reply

Prev Next