Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Socks or No Socks? [HonestYP] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think it has to do with finding the right shoe and almost more importantly the right sock if you are worried about running in the wet/rain. I've worn New Balance 890's (now Vazee Pace) for the longest time without problems. Even with full on Hanes cotton socks, running in the rain is manageable, but there are these thinner pair of asics socks (picture) that I wear. The past week have done runs of 10-15 miles in the soaking rain (like walk into the house, pull off the shoes and socks and leave wet tracks as you march to the washer to throw the rest of your clothes in there instead of dripping it everywhere else in the house) and haven't had any problem. Long run and intervals. Shoes drain well and socks didn't retain it either and feet were perfect, minus the raisin effect. Think shoe draining is a big piece of it.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I ran sockless in both the 70.3's I've done so far. I smear a bunch of bodyglide on the heels of my shoes, sprinkle in some powder and shake it around to coat the inside and I'm good to go any distance. Just try it a few times in your long training runs and bring a pair of socks with you in case you need to abort. For reference I use Asics gel noosafast 2 racing flats. So sad they don't make them anymore, but you can still find them on Amazon.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [agreif] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
agreif wrote:
I think it has to do with finding the right shoe and almost more importantly the right sock if you are worried about running in the wet/rain. I've worn New Balance 890's (now Vazee Pace) for the longest time without problems. Even with full on Hanes cotton socks, running in the rain is manageable, but there are these thinner pair of asics socks (picture) that I wear. The past week have done runs of 10-15 miles in the soaking rain (like walk into the house, pull off the shoes and socks and leave wet tracks as you march to the washer to throw the rest of your clothes in there instead of dripping it everywhere else in the house) and haven't had any problem. Long run and intervals. Shoes drain well and socks didn't retain it either and feet were perfect, minus the raisin effect. Think shoe draining is a big piece of it.

Thank you for the heads up on the socks. I think I would be able to go fully sockless if the tongue of my Saucony Fastwich was a little different. The edges are a little harsh/stiff on the top of my foot. I can just see getting to mile 7 and bleeding the rest of the way in. But the shoes are black so only I would know!

No, the 10-15secs added in transition will not kill my time or knock me out of contention for 70.3 Championships, I just prefer the feel of sockless.

Thank you all for your advice and discussion points.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I never wear socks... unless it is really cold outside. Foot issues have been shoe issues for me... if I'm in a shoe that works for me I'm good on race day.

Speeding up transitions comes from practicing your transitions and honing the various parts of it. Practice your mounts, dismounts, shoe placement, get quick laces, put your run belt on while moving, etc. Lots of ways to have fast transitions.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I go sockless for sprints and olys but anything longer I go for socks. To me the longer the race the less of a risk/reward factor.

I still lapped everyone on the couch!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I recently started using Lunaracers (the +3) and they have been great. Prior flats to this were New Balance RC1400 and Adidas Adios Boost, both of which tore my feet up sockless.

I got the Lunaracers for cheap at a Nike outlet near me on a whim, they've turned out to be the best shoes I've owned in a long time (and this is as someone who hates Nike trainers). I now do a fair bit of my training in them as they're very cushioned, and I train sockless a bit.

On race day, put vasoline all over the inside of your shoes. You can cover your feet in vasoline as well.

"Don't you have to go be stupid somewhere else?"..."Not until 4!"
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
sockless for sprint distance only. other distances I wear socks with no blister issues even when feet have gotten soaked.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi HonestYP,

I always go with socks for HIM and above distance. Seconds really doesn't matter to me so I can afford to do this. If you desperately need those seconds, it may be a different story.

To help make your transitions faster, my advice, and I cannot stress this enough, is to practice, practice, practice mock transitions. Whatever you do in practice, you also do in the real transition. You practice your transition placement, try different options until you find one that is right for you.. And practice it repeatedly. Whatever time in practice, then that is your time in the race.

Good Luck!

An age group triathlete just like you.
TopTriGear - https://www.toptrigear.com
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [TopTriGear] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
What are some of the light-ish, breathable socks people might recommend for hot races?
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
friskyDingo wrote:
What are some of the light-ish, breathable socks people might recommend for hot races?

They might not be considered 'light' but I have had really good luck with Swiftwick. I think having shoes that fit well and having tough feet is more important.
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [stickboy1125] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stickboy1125 wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:

They might not be considered 'light' but I have had really good luck with Swiftwick. I think having shoes that fit well and having tough feet is more important.

I do most of my run training in Swiftwick Aspire socks. They are Swiftwick's thinnest and most breathable sock. They're a bit too tight for smooth transitions though as they're not the easiest sock to put on with wet feet.

My go to race sock is the Defeet Aireator socks. Almost as thin/breathable as the Swiftwick Aspire but without the compression so they're pretty easy to get on in T1 or T2.

Favorite Gear: Dimond | Cadex | Desoto Sport | Hoka One One
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [The GMAN] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The GMAN wrote:
stickboy1125 wrote:
friskyDingo wrote:

I do most of my run training in Swiftwick Aspire socks. They are Swiftwick's thinnest and most breathable sock. They're a bit too tight for smooth transitions though as they're not the easiest sock to put on with wet feet.

My go to race sock is the Defeet Aireator socks. Almost as thin/breathable as the Swiftwick Aspire but without the compression so they're pretty easy to get on in T1 or T2.

I will have to check those out. I don't want anything with compression feel to them. My feet expand a little more than usual on my longer runs.

This is all great stuff guys.

GMAN: How did you fair at Texas?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DNS

I missed two of the last four months worth of training due to an illness and injury.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Bummer to hear that! hopefully you are feeling better soon and can get after your other races this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
HonestYP wrote:
Bummer to hear that! hopefully you are feeling better soon and can get after your other races this year.

I'm fine now.

Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Thanks, will try these!

35+ min runs are the only time I ever wear socks, and I've never been able to find anything comfortable. Most of my running I do in Costco "kb" socks, whatever brand that actually is...
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [friskyDingo] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have been fond of the "Darn Tough" socks. They are a little pricey, but never had issues, and I think it is pretty cool they have a lifetime warranty.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
How many of you go sockless and if you do how do you ward off blisters?

I came from that early triathlon era where it was sockless all the time for racing - riding and running. However, in truth, the quality of socks available at the time, was nowhere near what it is now.

I would probably still go sockless for a sprint, but for an Olympic onward, with the amazing socks that are out there now, I would pull on some sicks in T1 that I would keep on for the rest of the race.

There are so many companies making great socks these days.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Socks or No Socks? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sean H wrote:
Socks for HIM. Roll them up to get them on faster.
Yep, this.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
No socks on the bike for any distance but I always put on socks for the run. I keep them rolled up and sitting on my shoes. I have come into T2 with a group of people, and exited T2 with them. I put on socks. They didn't. I have gotten my sock game down to a couple of seconds.
Quote Reply

Prev Next