Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

St. Anthony's anyone?
Quote | Reply
Anyone doing St Anthony's this year? Anyone know the swim course, all deep water? Any chance wetsuits will be legal by the end of April? Forgive my ignorant questions, still way too new at this but always looking for a little help.
Quote Reply
Re: St. Anthony's anyone? [Cmatthews7] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Cmatthews7 wrote:
Anyone doing St Anthony's this year? Anyone know the swim course, all deep water? Any chance wetsuits will be legal by the end of April? Forgive my ignorant questions, still way too new at this but always looking for a little help.

I'll be there. Swim course depends on which distance you will be participating in, sprint or oly. Not really sure what you mean by "deep water" as it is open water.... in a bay/harbor... As for wetsuits, I was a spectator last year and the pro race was not wetsuit legal, not sure about AG. Don't over think, be prepared for any condition, and have fun!
Quote Reply
Re: St. Anthony's anyone? [DashLash] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Sorry, didn't make that real clear, but sprint is about max for me right now. The wife will do the oly, she whips me in every event though so she needs to step it up. I understand the open water part, I'm actually in Tampa now (live just SW of there in Lake Placid) but I have this "fear" of deep water swims, just get a little panicky. Swim is by far my weakest, and I am working on it and taking lessons, but with no float or fins I just find it hard to relax. 99% mental, I'm sure, but an obstacle none the less.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I live in tampa so I do it every year. (olympic, not done the sprint)
Swim is in the bay. Not too bad but sometimes it can be choppy. Last year, it was the calmest I have ever seen the water. I believe I did it in a wetsuit buy my memory isn't clear.
The bike course is pretty technical with lots of turns. The first 1/2 mile is on bumpy roads like cobblestones so be careful to not lose your water bottle. They somehow also managed to find the only street that has an incline in Tampa although not much (1-2% grade) for a few miles. When you get to around mile 10-15 by the golf course, watch out for a couple speed bumps.
The run is usually in 65-75 degree temps with the sun beating down at you.

But, the race is well run, the scenery is great, St pete is awesome, volunteers are fantastic, the post race music/food/beer is also great. One of my favorite races. Just don't expect a very fast FL bike course.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've done St. Anthony's every year for the past... 4 years? Great race, one of the best in the U.S. IMO. The swim is "deep water" in that you'll never be able to touch the bottom until you get pretty close to shore but the water is fairly shallow (maybe 7-8' for the sprint, 10-12' for the olympic) and if the water is calm you can see the bottom. Wetsuit legal seems to be a 50/50 proposition. Seems to depend on the weather the week prior to the race.

Edit: oh yeah I'll be there again this year.
Last edited by: GreenPlease: Mar 28, 17 19:26
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Doing it for the first time! Would love to see a wetsuit swim, fingers crossed!

Tim Russell, Pro Triathlete

Instagram- @timbikerun
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My first time doing it this year (just moved to Tampa-area last June). Any advice/guidance from you all would be appreciated. Thank you in advance!

Jamie
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The run through the neighborhood is one of the best—I absolutely love St. Anthony's. If it wasn't for final exams, I'd be racing this year.

@floathammerholdon | @partners_in_tri
Quote Reply