Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Caffiene addiciton?
Quote | Reply
I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences to what I could only call an addiction. I never drank coffee and up until 2 years ago never had a consistent source of caffeine in my diet.

About 2 years ago I started drinking a pre-race energizer mix before my morning swim workouts made by VEGA. I was drinking one scoop mixed in 8oz of water 3-4 times a week. After about 4-5 months I started thinking about the drink as I was in bed the night before, almost with a sense of excitement that I would get to have it in the morning. I gradually started drinking it before all my workouts and felt like I needed it to get going. After a year I was drinking it the morning and occasionally before a night workout or if I had a meeting to go to. My daughter races in the Junior Elite series and we travel a lot and I was drinking them to stay awake driving.

I tried to stop it the week before IMCDA last August but had such a severe headache that I only made it 18 hours before starting it back up.

I have always been a great sleeper and noted that in the last few months I was waking up a few times a night, I was not doing my morning workouts and pushing them back to the evenings. I felt like I had a brain cloud and that I needed this stuff to get through my day. So 8 days ago I said screw this, and quit. I felt like there was a base drum in my head for about 36 hours. The remarkable thing for me is how "clear" my head is. Its hard to explain but I feel like have a ton more energy, more awake, and sleeping like a champ again. I feel like my thought process is clean and my decision making is no longer clouded.

I have lived a pretty clean life, never smoked a cigarette, do not drink, thankfully no drugs because if I got hooked this easy on a pre-race drink I could imagine what real stimulants would do to me!!
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [spasmus] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I never drank soda or coffee until well into my 20s and then started on coffee to get through grad school. After a decade or more I needed at least 2 strong, decent sized cups by noon or I'd get a terrible headache. Whenever I tried to quit, I'd get that pounding headache.

Eventually, I needed a fairly significant surgery and used that to quit since I was going to be doped up anyway on painkillers for awhile. I had a terrible headache and nausea from the anesthesia (or at least that's what they attributed it to) the first day post-op, and I think ironically they even gave me caffeine for it, but then I was good.

I have always had insomnia but the caffeine didn't seem to affect it one way or another.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I wouldn't call caffeine addictive. It's habit forming and you do develop a bit of a tolerance on it, but the headache and other symptoms that some people experience are quite mild compared to quitting cigarettes or alcohol.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I consume enough caffeine during the day to kill an average man in his 70s. I know it's not good for me but I just need it and I will get headaches if I don't consume enough. I drink approx. 6 cups of coffee in the morning and 2 more after lunch. I use a caffeinated pre-workout mix and also consume caffeinated gels and chews during workouts. Prior to a race I drink coffee and then 30 minutes before the gun goes off I down a 12oz can of red bull and supplement with caffeinated gels throughout the race. I also use caffeine pills occasionally if I'm in a hurry in the morning and don't have the time to sit around and drink all that coffee. All this is actually quite an expensive habit so I'm looking into just purchasing caffeine powder in bulk and adding to a fruit juice as a pre-workout fuel. Despite all this i have excellent blood pressure and and my resting heart rate when not caffeinated hovers in the 52-54 bpm range.
Last edited by: crujones#33: Mar 27, 17 13:04
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used to consume a pretty substantial amount of coke/pepsi to a point that I would have migraines if I went cold turkey. I made the assumption it was the caffeine. Maybe it was part of it. The soda was more like a meal replacement for me due to a busy schedule. I noticed that if I skipped lunch or missed my daily doses of soda, I would have a good chance of getting those migraine headaches in the afternoon. I then tried having canned fruit at the office instead of cans of soda. So if I can't get lunch i could at least have some fruit. I found that I could go cold turkey with the soda and just eat regularly and I wouldn't get the headaches. So my "trigger" for the withdrawal-type headaches was more to do with a sugar low than the caffeine. Fast forward to today - I don't just have a bunch of canned fruit all the time. Instead I just watch my food intake more closely to ensure I'm getting real food at regular intervals.

I don't have soda anymore except for after races. (Just a treat for bygone days I suppose.) If I miss meals I'll still run the risk of getting the migraines similar to what you are explaining. So I can control it for the most part.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
I wouldn't call caffeine addictive. It's habit forming and you do develop a bit of a tolerance on it, but the headache and other symptoms that some people experience are quite mild compared to quitting cigarettes or alcohol.

What's the difference?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have caffeine sensitivity as well so trying to take your question seriously but come on man, you were mixing 100mg of caffeine powder into water and having it every morning. For context a single shot of espresso contains 75mg of caffeine, what did you think was going to happen?

Granted, that's not a lot of caffeine compared to most american's who don't pay attention or simply don't care how much caffeine is in the products they consume, but it's certainly enough to develop a mild physical dependence and experience withdrawal. For most people this is a simple fix, just drink more coffee and never experience the withdrawal. For others, myself included, the withdrawal is likely more pronounced and makes the whole experience more trouble than it's worth. Fortunately there's plenty of websites and other sources to monitor your caffeine intake.

Also:

crujones#33 wrote:
I consume enough caffeine during the day to kill an average man in his 70s. I know it's not good for me but I just need it and I will get headaches if I don't consume enough. I drink approx. 6 cups of coffee in the morning and 2 more after lunch. I use a caffeinated pre-workout mix and also consume caffeinated gels and chews during workouts. Prior to a race I drink coffee and then 30 minutes before the gun goes off I down a 12oz can of red bull and supplement with caffeinated gels throughout the race. I also use caffeine pills occasionally if I'm in a hurry in the morning and don't have the time to sit around and drink all that coffee. All this is actually quite an expensive habit so I'm looking into just purchasing caffeine powder in bulk and adding to a fruit juice as a pre-workout fuel. Despite all this i have excellent blood pressure and and my resting heart rate when not caffeinated hovers in the 52-54 bpm range.

That sounds retarded. Get ahold of yourself.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [tgarson] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The withdraw symptoms I totally understand and was expecting. What I was not expecting and what developed slowly over time was the feeling I couldn't get through the day without it and how great I feel off it. I figure quit it and after a few days I would feel normal, but not this good!! Im not complaining. Part of me wonders if some of the other ingredients had something to do with it.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [ThisIsIt] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ThisIsIt wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

What's the difference?

Quitting caffeine takes a few days, maybe a week to ten days. Quitting tobacco or alcohol takes much more.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [crujones#33] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
crujones#33 wrote:

You serious, Clark? If so, I'm impressed and forgetting any thoughts I've had about reducing my intake.
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [Desert Tortoise] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Desert Tortoise wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

What's the difference?

Quitting caffeine takes a few days, maybe a week to ten days. Quitting tobacco or alcohol takes much more.

Sometimes, it's easier to give up, than to quit

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Caffiene addiciton? [RandMart] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
RandMart wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:
ThisIsIt wrote:
Desert Tortoise wrote:

What's the difference?

Sometimes, it's easier to give up, than to quit
Giving up smoking is the easiest thing in the world. I know because I've done it thousands of times. -- Mark Twain
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I get to or beyond 3 normal cups a day, I go on "detox" from coffee. Cold turkey for about a week, no soda. If headaches arrive, I use a couple of ibuprofen & call it good. Get lots of sleep to make up for the lack of caffiene. Works every time. Currently hovering at 2 cups.

When approaching the taper phase to a B or A race, I go off caffiene about a week and a half out & prepare myself for race morning's cup of coffee, so it actually has some benefit. Any caffiene tolerance levels are eliminated in about a week of just using plain water & other beverage choices.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Caffiene? Where can I get some? I'd love to try Caffiene. Could you point me to a coupon?

spasmus wrote:
I wanted to see if anyone else had similar experiences to what I could only call an addiction. I never drank coffee and up until 2 years ago never had a consistent source of caffeine in my diet.

About 2 years ago I started drinking a pre-race energizer mix before my morning swim workouts made by VEGA. I was drinking one scoop mixed in 8oz of water 3-4 times a week. After about 4-5 months I started thinking about the drink as I was in bed the night before, almost with a sense of excitement that I would get to have it in the morning. I gradually started drinking it before all my workouts and felt like I needed it to get going. After a year I was drinking it the morning and occasionally before a night workout or if I had a meeting to go to. My daughter races in the Junior Elite series and we travel a lot and I was drinking them to stay awake driving.

I tried to stop it the week before IMCDA last August but had such a severe headache that I only made it 18 hours before starting it back up.

I have always been a great sleeper and noted that in the last few months I was waking up a few times a night, I was not doing my morning workouts and pushing them back to the evenings. I felt like I had a brain cloud and that I needed this stuff to get through my day. So 8 days ago I said screw this, and quit. I felt like there was a base drum in my head for about 36 hours. The remarkable thing for me is how "clear" my head is. Its hard to explain but I feel like have a ton more energy, more awake, and sleeping like a champ again. I feel like my thought process is clean and my decision making is no longer clouded.

I have lived a pretty clean life, never smoked a cigarette, do not drink, thankfully no drugs because if I got hooked this easy on a pre-race drink I could imagine what real stimulants would do to me!!
Quote Reply