Prev Next
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [SBRmd] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
SBRmd wrote:
h2ofun wrote:
SBRmd wrote:
can you just go away?

You have a few pounds to lose?

not really, no. just tired of seeing your self-important useless blabber high-jack and ruin what was becoming an interesting and informative string.

YES
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [bryce_d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Your weight is slowing you down, but so what? I use racing as a mnotivation to put it all on the line. After 31 years of racing I finally got a 3rd palce Clydesdale Masters coffee mug. Felt real good, but for me It's all just a giant personal throw down. I'm 6'5" 225lbs. Lighter than when I was 13. Keep on killin' it!
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [ilike2run2eat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I have no advice for you but I feel your pain. I'm 6'3 and over 200lbs. I'm also pretty lean but being an ex rower I'm still carrying a lot of extra muscle mass from those years in the boat. When ever I try to lose weight I end up sick. No fun there.
On the bright side I can hit the weight room and leg press a house, ( compared to my triathlete friends that is)

I reject your reality and substitute my own!
Adam Savage
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I am 6'0 and weigh 175lbs. I also ran about 1:20 for a half last year, but I can't help but feel that if I weighed less I would be a bit faster.
I seem to have settled between 175-180lbs now, but want to get to 165lbs for race season, though I have wanted to do that for a while and never managed it!

If I were you, I would be curious about how fast I could get if I weighed less. I mean at 185lbs you could maybe be 30 seconds per mile faster, meaning 1:15 or so for a HM. Not many people run that fast!

I think heat dissipation is probably important too, bigger guys can't cool as well as smaller guys. I know Macca always complained that he was too big for Kona, and he isn't really a big guy!
Last edited by: NUFCrichard: Mar 22, 17 1:42
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Joshawa] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Joshawa wrote:
bluestacks867 wrote:
I started a year ago at 6'0" 184lbs. I am down to 163lbs and I am seeing huge gains in my running. The real question is how low can you go without it being a burden. I plateaued at 165lbs for a couple months and then started to cut out all junk food and all added sugars. I probably can't maintain that forever but I am interested to see how much lower I can go.

6'1" and 130lbs atm. I hover between 130-140. At 6" I imagine you could get in the 120's assuming you only run and don't swim.

Thank you for the good laugh this morning, Joshawa.

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [TeamTarrant] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm also a plant-based triathlete. Started intermittent fasting & dropped 5 pounds of fat and a few pounds of muscle based on Dexa scan, since December 2016.

Google intermittent fasting and you will find tons of resources, but you can buy books as well.

Good luck to OP
Last edited by: Shiv88: Mar 22, 17 7:45
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [ninagski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I definitely agree that some people often get out of hand in their weight loss. Im 6'3 and 175lb, will prob go down to 170 for my races this summer. However I have gone from over 200lb so have of course seen extreme improvements in my run.
Another thing is I dont quite understand how everyone is talking about always being hungry, and practically starving themselves, yes the last few lb when you are already lean are tough to get rid of but the majority of the weight is imo quite easily lost with training and somewhat reasonable fodd intake. For example I need around 2500kcal/day if im not working out to sustain my weight, a normal day I will r/b/s 2-3h and burn at least 1500kcal but more often than not 2k+. This means that even on a deficit I can eat 3500-4000/day which is a lot of food. I never weigh my food or think about how many kcal to eat, but I do stay away from unhealthy foods at least on weekdays (when I stuff my face). Of course age plays a large part as well, Im only 23 so I know my metabolism will get worse, but still can't understand the extremes some go to.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [bluestacks867] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lol. In all honesty I think it really changes from person to person as to how low you can go. My brother was 30-40 lbs heavier than I was when he was ski racing and I doubt he could have lost much weight without starving himself (I did and still do eat way more than he does) or losing muscle.

OlympicHopeful.com - Interviews with aspiring Olympians | Strava
Supported by: Skechers|Zwift|Squirt Lube|TYR|Rubber Ducky Sunscreen|Riplaces|MultiSport Canada|Joshus Bikes
“More often than not bad luck meant bad plans” -Joe Abercrombie
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [oscaro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
oscaro wrote:
Of course age plays a large part as well, Im only 23 so I know my metabolism will get worse, but still can't understand the extremes some go to.

You have no idea. At 23, I could eat EVERYTHING. Twice. I couldn't gain a pound back then to save my life through consumption. Just. Didn't. Matter.

At 48? Yeah, different story.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi, do yo have any advice to lose muscle? I'm on the big side of the equation, as I was a speed swimmer (50,100 and sometimes 200mts), and I gain muscle quite easily.
Quote Reply
Post deleted by ilike2run2eat [ In reply to ]
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Tom_hampton] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I actually find this very interesting, Gomez is notoriously known for weighing all his food and being cautious of his intake, meanwhile the brownies brothers are very keen on chocolate cake and eat pretty much what ever they want (of course mostly healthy foods but still). Perhaps the difference in metabolism is at work even there.

Terrible Tuesday’s Triathlon
Last edited by: oscaro: Mar 22, 17 10:51
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [MarioTB] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm no expert, but the obvious answer is you have to eat less. The scale will tell you if you're eating too much and you'll learn over time what it will take to lose weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [Sean H] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks, yeah, I'll see what I can do, I have been going with a nutritionist, but still struggle...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Quote:
I can run low 1:20 for a half, but during a half-ironman, I have struggled to put together a good run.
That's likely more an effect of (a) lack of bike fitness or (b) pushing the bike leg too hard

Do you guys think weight makes that much of a difference? More so on the bike or run?
1. yes
2. run

maybe she's born with it, maybe it's chlorine
If you're injured and need some sympathy, PM me and I'm very happy to write back.
disclaimer: PhD not MD
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ilike2run2eat wrote:
haha, Very entertaining to go back and read this thread after a couple of days. Honestly, I don't know why I posted this, I think I was just looking for some encouragement by you all saying "YES, you're TOO BIG!" Never thought arguments would come out of this post, but gotta love ST!
My buddy, who is not a triathlete said he doesn't understand why cyclists spend so much money on carbon everything for bikes, when they could easily shed some pounds and probably see more benefits. For me, this is the case. I have worked very hard and can push some big watts on the bike...but it's wasted bc I know I am too heavy.

Obviously fitness comes to play and I know I can improve my fitness in all 3 disciplines. But truthfully...I'm pretty dang fit. I have never taken my nutrition very seriously. I am not fat by any standards, but know I can get leaner and more importantly LIGHTER.

Fasting was brought up. Ben Greenfield(cue eye rolls) worked out in the morning and then fasted until about noon to lose some weight. If I do that, I end up gorging myself. I know Lionel posted an update years ago and his dinner consisted of Coke, Hotdogs, and M&M's.....I don't know what will work for me the best, but I'm going to start with a combination of these 2! :)

And Lastly, it all depends on what your goals are. I just want to get faster. That's the only reason I do this sport. That's why I felt like I've MAX'd out my 200 body frame for endurance races.

I'll post an update in a couple months...

Interesting word fasting.

I start my exercise at 5am each morning, for 2 to 3 hours. I eat breakfast at 4:30am. I eat nothing during the training, or until lunch at 12. I sure would not call this fasting. I just know that the more you eat, no matter what time, the more one puts on pounds.

And there is a big difference between a person being "big" like in body type, compared to being "fat". So many seem to want to say a person is Big. Well,
if they bounce up and down running, well.

I just carried a 42 lb box of cat litter down my stairs. I cannot image weighing 200 lbs and putting all they extra strain on my legs all day long.

Dave Campbell | Facebook | @DaveECampbell | h2ofun@h2ofun.net

Boom Nutrition code 19F4Y3 $5 off 24 pack box | Bionic Runner | PowerCranks | Velotron | Spruzzamist

Lions don't lose sleep worrying about the sheep
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [h2ofun] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
h2ofun wrote:
How many fast 200lb guys do you see racing?

Only in NASCAR

"What's your claim?" - Ben Gravy
"Your best work is the work you're excited about" - Rick Rubin
Quote Reply
Re: Is my weight slowing me down? [tigerchik] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tigerchik wrote:
Quote:
I can run low 1:20 for a half, but during a half-ironman, I have struggled to put together a good run.

That's likely more an effect of (a) lack of bike fitness or (b) pushing the bike leg too hard

Do you guys think weight makes that much of a difference? More so on the bike or run?
1. yes
2. run

...It only took 64 previous posts for someone to add this suggestion...

just your average age grouper . no one special . no scientific knowledge . just having fun.
Quote Reply

Prev Next