Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Speculation: for 2018 they might bring IsoSpeed to the Speed Concept along with redesigned brakes and possibly a redesigned downtube along the lines of the Velocite/Pinarello Bolide. If they go to the plug-in mono extension only (which they should) they could potentially do integrated front-end hydration as well (Ala Rafael/Scott/Canyon/etc).

They really need to do something with the brake track on their Aeolus wheels and they should also try partnering with someone like Vittoria to update their 22mm aero tire... because, frankly, the Aeolus wheels are really fantastic other than the brake track and the only way you're going to make a bike like the Speed Concept faster is to optimize the whole tire/wheel/frame system (in my opinion).
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Speculation: for 2018 they might bring IsoSpeed to the Speed Concept along with redesigned brakes and possibly a redesigned downtube along the lines of the Velocite/Pinarello Bolide. If they go to the plug-in mono extension only (which they should) they could potentially do integrated front-end hydration as well (Ala Rafael/Scott/Canyon/etc).

They really need to do something with the brake track on their Aeolus wheels and they should also try partnering with someone like Vittoria to update their 22mm aero tire... because, frankly, the Aeolus wheels are really fantastic other than the brake track and the only way you're going to make a bike like the Speed Concept faster is to optimize the whole tire/wheel/frame system (in my opinion).

I was not familiar with the bikes you mentioned...looked them up. What would be the benefit in changing the downtube, as you mentioned? ISOSpeed would be a great add.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [Mike Alexander] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yeah the only real downside to Iso Speed is the additional cost and you can't easily "show" that it makes you faster. Specialized went to great lengths to show the new Roubaix is something like 2 watts faster over horribly rough surfaces. While I agree with the notion that (ceteris paribus) a more comfortable bike will be faster and lead to a faster run, it's probably nearly impossible to actually quantify it.

Changing the downtube would potentially make a round bottle aero neutral. I think it's hard to underestimate the utility of a regular bottle on the downtube. Standard size, easy to swap, easy to clean in training, etc. etc. Plus between a draft box, a ~20oz bottle low on the downtube, and front hydration you'd get a really nice weight distribution. That won't make you faster in a TT setting but it's still nice to have.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [milesthedog] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
milesthedog wrote:
Mike Alexander wrote:
Updated Speed Concept....I want to buy one but figure an update is due soon.

Yep, I was in the waiting game last year and just decided to get the 2014 and call it good. I like it, but (harping on this) I would so much rather have the P5x front end vs the SC front end so that I can make easy adjustments.

As to that front end, GreenPlease and I have discussed on the forum in the past adopting these type of front ends and what I'd like to see is an EightPins style dropper post mechanism for both the seat post and front end. Cornelius has concerns with on-the-fly TT adjustments and I agree. Though I wonder if it could be implemented safely to raise the front end and simultaneously scoot the saddle down and back while heading up climbs, and also scoot it and the front end down and forward when on wide open safe sections... hook up to a di2/etap battery and have several pre-set positions that take a painstakingly slow 5 seconds to transition into for safety purposes

My critique would be that to integrate that sort of tech safely you'd have to add substantial mass (and cost) to the bike.

IMO, the smart players will downstream current advancements to lower price points. Premier bikes is on to the right scent. The next step, IMO, is to build a similar bike out of aluminum, run mechanical 1x (route the shift cable outside of the aero extension, use clips to tidy things up, that way the bike is still easy to pack), and have shallow aero aluminum rims along the lines of the AlForce33 with a disc cover for the rear. Lace the rear with a Powertap to make swapping the cover easy. Get it to the consumer in a travel case for under $2,000.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [duckies] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
duckies wrote:
Quote:
$1000 all-carbon clincher wheelset from a USA company with a brake track that doesn't suck, and (obviously) verified good aero performance.

Are you not familiar with FLO Cycling? All carbon for about $1100.
With a braketrack that doesn't suck. :)

Try Flos in the rain. They try newest Zipps. No comparison, unfortunately. I really like Flo and what they are doing otherwise.
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [GreenPlease] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
GreenPlease wrote:
Changing the downtube would potentially make a round bottle aero neutral. I think it's hard to underestimate the utility of a regular bottle on the downtube. Standard size, easy to swap, easy to clean in training, etc. etc. Plus between a draft box, a ~20oz bottle low on the downtube, and front hydration you'd get a really nice weight distribution. That won't make you faster in a TT setting but it's still nice to have.

Cervelo designed the P5-X to use round bottles and we all know how Slowtwitch reacted to that....

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Tri gear you would like to see this year - 2017 [BryanD] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Their choice to position the bottle horizontally was smart. However that would be problematic on smaller double-diamond frames. IMO, the Velocite/Pinarello is just a better solution so long as it can be done with no (or a minimal) aero penalty.
Quote Reply

Prev Next