Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Running Noob progression Q
Quote | Reply
I started running today. I know that I have to let my body acclimate to the demands of running. As a new runner how much can I start with? Obviously if I feel something in my knee, hips, ankle etc I will shut it down. I am trying to make sure my form is textbook. I read to run a little more every other day as a beginner and not to increase mileage by 10% per week. Today I did a warm-up, ran a mile with a buddy (8min/mile@250watts@150hr), and then did a cool-down. FWIW I cycle regularly, am relatively strong and have a decent amount of fitness (ctl high 50s).

What is a prudent progression rate? How long is the typical acclimation point before I can safely train at tempo or above? I plan to do at least the first 2-4(?) weeks at an endurance pace (except for today when I was pushing it much too much). FWIW I don't have any race distance in mind. Thoughts (other than hire a coach)? Thank you.
Last edited by: Meek: Feb 23, 17 10:36
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [Meek] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Don't know how you know your running watts.

If you really haven't run at all; I would suggest something like couch 2 5k. Maybe go a little more aggressive than that slow progression - but it's a start.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Great question!

I coach a few Cat 1/2 cyclists-turned-runners, and my biggest recommendation is to slow down to avoid injury. Cyclists love to hammer themselves into the freaking dirt, but that is not how running works, especially at first.

Assuming you have a normal heart, I'd recommend all running at MAF minus 5 to 10 beats for at least 10 weeks. Every other day for 2 weeks, then 4 days per week for 2 weeks, then 5 days per week, for the rest of the 10-week cycle, but only if you feel like your body is adapting well.

Start with 10-15 min easy for the first week, then 20 for 2-5, then 30-60 min after week 6. You have to view it as training to train hard later, rather than training hard.

After that, you can start adding short hills to work on running economy and strength development. But if you put the cart before the horse with running, it won't just hurt--you'll get hurt.

One random recommendation: wear "minimalist" shoes as you start running. I generally hate them for hard training, but as you adapt, they will keep you honest.

You got this!

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [Rumpled] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Stryd

Rumpled wrote:
Don't know how you know your running watts.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [DaveRoche] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks for your response. I speak Cogganese, but what is MAF? Will do the training protocol you prescribed. Have 2 pairs of minimalist shoes too. :)

My training aids are an Ambit3 Peak HR, Stryd, foam roller, rolling pin, and tennis ball

DaveRoche wrote:
Great question!

I coach a few Cat 1/2 cyclists-turned-runners, and my biggest recommendation is to slow down to avoid injury. Cyclists love to hammer themselves into the freaking dirt, but that is not how running works, especially at first.

Assuming you have a normal heart, I'd recommend all running at MAF minus 5 to 10 beats for at least 10 weeks. Every other day for 2 weeks, then 4 days per week for 2 weeks, then 5 days per week, for the rest of the 10-week cycle, but only if you feel like your body is adapting well.

Start with 10-15 min easy for the first week, then 20 for 2-5, then 30-60 min after week 6. You have to view it as training to train hard later, rather than training hard.

After that, you can start adding short hills to work on running economy and strength development. But if you put the cart before the horse with running, it won't just hurt--you'll get hurt.

One random recommendation: wear "minimalist" shoes as you start running. I generally hate them for hard training, but as you adapt, they will keep you honest.

You got this!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Haha, MAF is just an overly-simplified way to be sure you are running aerobically :)

180 - age (then I'd subtract another 5 to 10 beats since you are so aerobically strong already and at a higher risk of injury because your cardiovascular system won't be slowing you down enough)

------
David Roche
"The Happy Runner" book: https://www.amazon.com/...Longer/dp/1492567647
Coaching: https://swaprunning.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
Haha, MAF is just an overly-simplified way to be sure you are running aerobically :)

180 - age (then I'd subtract another 5 to 10 beats since you are so aerobically strong already and at a higher risk of injury because your cardiovascular system won't be slowing you down enough)

And to answer the next question coming - yes it's going to feel crazy slow. :-)
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
When I took up running (a couple years ago as cross training from a cycling background, and because I was going to be spending 4 months abroad without a bike), I went the stupid method: I just started running. At first, about 3-4 miles at a time at about an 8min/mile pace which is just what felt natural. I've upped the distances to about 5miles a time, and dropped my pace to 7:15-7:30/mi, but I just run for the exercise, not to train for anything particular. So far, I've never had a running related injury.

This is sort of my second time taking up running as a separate activity. The first time was when I agreed to do a just-for-fun biathlon (20mi bike, 10k run) with some female friends. They decided to do it as a pair: one bike, one run, and I offered to accompany them. Realizing I hadn't really done any distance running to speak of, I went out, ran a 10k on my own, felt okay (sore for 1-2 days), and then ran the 10k about a week later as part of the "race". Didn't run again for years (other than playing ultimate frisbee in a small league).

So you can try the stupid method, but obviously a slower ramp up is probably a better method.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [BudhaSlug] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Great. Thanks again.
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
DaveRoche wrote:

And to answer the next question coming - yes it's going to feel crazy slow. :-)

Not sure this is necessarily correct! I went from elite cyclist to running. My aerobic fitness was really great to begin with, so running at a heart rate of 130-140 bpm. was actually quite fast from day one. But the advise is solid - go after heartbeat at first, and PLEASE take extra day(s) off if you get sore in tendons or ligaments!!

Did a 5K test on my 3rd day of running (to get an idea how my running fitness was from scratch) - think I did 17:30 min. or so... So you really will have to ramp things up super slowly for the first 6 months! Trust me: you WILL get injured otherwise!

Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [Lars Ejaas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Lars Ejaas wrote:

Did a 5K test on my 3rd day of running (to get an idea how my running fitness was from scratch) - think I did 17:30 min. or so... !

This makes me want to cry
Quote Reply
Re: Running Noob progression Q [TriguyBlue] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
TriguyBlue wrote:
Lars Ejaas wrote:

Did a 5K test on my 3rd day of running (to get an idea how my running fitness was from scratch) - think I did 17:30 min. or so... !

This makes me want to cry

LOL - just went back in my training diary to see if this was correct (it was back in august 2012) - looks like I was WAY to optimistic! I did 18:11 min. for a 5K on my 3rd run. Funny how you tend to forget things in time :-D
Have done 15:43 last year - so dedicated run training have helped! But I really haven't focused on the short distance races - by comparison I have done 2:33:12 in a marathon last spring.
Last edited by: Lars Ejaas: Mar 22, 17 3:31
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
DaveRoche wrote:
Great question!

I coach a few Cat 1/2 cyclists-turned-runners, and my biggest recommendation is to slow down to avoid injury. Cyclists love to hammer themselves into the freaking dirt, but that is not how running works, especially at first

^^ This

As a former cyclist who decided to give triathlon a go, it took me about three years of injury after injury to realise that run training is different to bike training. Don't go smash yourself with 2x20's running every other day.

I would say give yourself 6-12 months of easy aerobic running. Your soft tissue needs to adapt to the pounding you're about to give it
Quote Reply