Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Well...that didn't take very long - Part 2 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
"I see the discussion taking place in Taiwan as certain parts of the WSFGI putting pressure on the riders through the team sponsors"

different topic. you and i were conversing above on the wsfgi's response to to the UCI. it has been very non-confrontational with governing bodies. i talk to the affected manufacturers in swim, bike and tri, and to the relevant members on the other side (tech chair, athletes committee chair) and i think the reason the wsfgi has been so effective is the collaborative approach they take with IFs.

now, athletes, let's talk about them. we're talking about people who're getting their paychecks from, owing their livings from, enjoying their vocations because of, bike makers. most of these guys know that rotors are not a danger. they can either remain cowed by bigger dicks in the peloton who do have axes to grind, or they can show some solidarity with the folks who fork over the dough. i doubt anybody is asking an athlete to speak contrary to his view, but it would be nice if some of these guys who know better would show a little spine.

Your "prism" is showing ;-)

http://bikeblather.blogspot.com/
Quote Reply
Re: Well...that didn't take very long - Part 2 [Tom A.] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"Your "prism" is showing ;-)"

guilty as charged. whenever i pay a few hundred thousand, or maybe some millions, of dollars a year toward professional athletes i have this ornery habit of wanting to get a return for my money rather than the middle finger from those cashing my checks. i'm just funny that way.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Well...that didn't take very long - Part 2 [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Its kind of a catch 22. Disc brakes may be good for a lot of things for a lot of people, but they are not necessarily viable in the pro peloton. Problem is, a lot of people that never ride in a huge group where you can expect a serious crash at high speed on any given day still want to ride what the pros ride. Its a totally different world, but everyday Joe doesn't realize that riding a "pro-level" bike might not be in his best interest for his own riding.
Manufacturers know this, so the pro bikes get watered down, probably in a similar way that frame-sizing has changed, so that now most pro riders are on frames a couple sizes too small in order to get the saddle to bar drop that works best for them.
Quote Reply
Re: Well...that didn't take very long - Part 2 [Pantelones] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Campy has released their disc brake groupset and interestingly the rotor comes with rounded edges.

Quote from the article:
Campagnolo says it tested more than a dozen edge profiles on human-like biomedical gel before arriving at the final profile used in production, which is impressively dull and exceptionally well finished. There are no covers planned.

Quote Reply

Prev Next