Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

IM race outfit
Quote | Reply
What are everyone's thoughts? Two piece or one piece?
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [Pmswanepoel] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I will go 2 piece.
I can see how more experienced athletes would maybe choose 1 piece (they know how their body works, so they dont have to stop and pee/potty etc)

My last half i had to pee 3-4 times and it was a nightmare in my 2xu 1piece (which other that hat is a fantastic suit). I know desoto makes a 1 pieces with an opening in it, so that could be an awesome fix to the one pieces.

But for now 2
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Ive done two IMs and I used a sleeved trisuit both times. The first one it worked out fine. Only went to the bathroom once but the second time, I had to go 2 times on the bike and it easily added about 10 mins on my time just trying to take it off and putting it back on. I did just order a new sleeved tri suit, the Castelli San Ramo or whatever and its like an attached jersey where you can zip the jersey all the way down. I heard it was easier to take on and off for your stops so maybe thats something you might want to try? Not sure if you want sleeves or not but I am more comfortable with the sleeves so that is why I stuck with a tri suit one piece. There isnt really any two piece sleeved option. ( I found one but the sleeves were too long on me). I would see if you want sleeved or not then go from there.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I would highly recommend the new "hybrid" one piece suits, like the Kiwami Spider LD Aero. http://www.kiwamitri.com/product-p/spidlda.htm

It is similar to a two piece, but has a lot of the great one piece features, plus short sleeves for the added aero benefit. If you click the link above the images do a good job of showing what I am trying to describe.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [@BW_Tri] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
I would highly recommend the new "hybrid" one piece suits, like the Kiwami Spider LD Aero. http://www.kiwamitri.com/product-p/spidlda.htm

It is similar to a two piece, but has a lot of the great one piece features, plus short sleeves for the added aero benefit. If you click the link above the images do a good job of showing what I am trying to describe.

What's the similarity with two piece gear? That just looks like an ordinary one piece suit.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [longtrousers] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That the shorts are split from the top all the way around to side of your hips / back area. The top is only attached along the waist line from about hips backwards. The front can unzip fully and is separated from the shorts. Much easier to get off if you need to make a "full" bathroom stop, and even easier if you just need to make a "quick" bathroom stop, well for men at least.

-Brad Williams
Website | Twitter: @BW_Tri |Instagram: @BW_Tri | Strava | Co-Founder & Coach at: KIS Coaching
Partnered with: Zoot Sports | Precision Fuel &Hydration | ISM
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I've only done 70.3's and i have switch between one piece and two. Started with a Compressport two piece, then swapped to a 2XU one piece because all the cool kids had them. The one piece annoyed me when in my last two 70.3's i had to stop to pee around 4-6 times.

I did look at the Kiwami but for close to $400...........i think ill go back to my two piece Compressport setup for half the price.
Last edited by: sjc166: Feb 23, 17 8:05
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I used the de Soto sleeved suit with the "fly" for peeing. Worked great. Didn't have to do any other business so can't comment on that.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:
That the shorts are split from the top all the way around to side of your hips / back area. The top is only attached along the waist line from about hips backwards. The front can unzip fully and is separated from the shorts. Much easier to get off if you need to make a "full" bathroom stop, and even easier if you just need to make a "quick" bathroom stop, well for men at least.

Thanks I understand now. Interesting concept.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
IMO. two piece suit gives more flexibility in the shoulders for swimming. very difficult in my experiences to swim in properly fitted one piece without unzipping the top off the shoulders.. have swam in two piece fully on and that has made a massive difference in shoulder range of motion.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [stdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stdogma wrote:
Ive done two IMs and I used a sleeved trisuit both times. The first one it worked out fine. Only went to the bathroom once but the second time, I had to go 2 times on the bike and it easily added about 10 mins on my time just trying to take it off and putting it back on. I did just order a new sleeved tri suit, the Castelli San Ramo or whatever and its like an attached jersey where you can zip the jersey all the way down. I heard it was easier to take on and off for your stops so maybe thats something you might want to try? Not sure if you want sleeves or not but I am more comfortable with the sleeves so that is why I stuck with a tri suit one piece. There isnt really any two piece sleeved option. ( I found one but the sleeves were too long on me). I would see if you want sleeved or not then go from there.

Yeah, I've been checking out the Castelli suit, I might well go that route. I want sleeves. Ideally I'd like long sleeves but I'm not finding anything.

I've done a few 70.3s with a white (for the heat) nikepro compression (long sleeve) top and Zoot tri/compression shorts that worked quite well, but for full IM I'm thinking I may need storage options (pockets).
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
@BW_Tri wrote:

I'll check it out, thanks
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Yeah I saw one suit with long sleeves. I feel like that might be too hot for me but I cant remember who makes it. I do like the storage options on the Castelli suit I just got. It has two small ones on the front hip area and then two bigger ones on the back. It looks like it will work better than that Pearl Izumi suit I had before. Those pockets were too shallow and I remember I lost some stuff on the run.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Shouldn't matter as long as you're sporting a trucker hat.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [stdogma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
stdogma wrote:
There isnt really any two piece sleeved option...

LG Course? Love mine, except for the fact that there is zero storage. Guess that's what aero is all about though.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good catch.

2020 Team Zoot MTN
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This is a personal decision. You need to try both. You may even decide to go back and forth depending on which outfits you own, or how they felt in prior races.

I had one race in which the shorts elastic dug into my abdomen 8 miles into the run that I cursed choosing a 2 piece that day, even though I prefer 2 piece.

Then there was that race where I had to go to port-a-potties three times and was glad to have chosen the 2 piece.

Then there was that race that turned wetsuit illegal the race morning and a one piece made more sense.

Then there was that new (to me) one piece I trained in, which seemed all right, that pulled my shoulders pretty badly in the race.

And so on. You need to try various options.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [ChrisM] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ChrisM wrote:
I used the de Soto sleeved suit with the "fly" for peeing. Worked great. Didn't have to do any other business so can't comment on that.
I just got one. Wondering why the fly opens to the left though :)
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [Dilbert] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Good thoughts -thank you
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
It's clear what the advantage of two-piece gear is: easier resp. faster at sanitary stops.

I do LDs with two-piece gear: Castelli T1 Stealth top with Castelli Corsa Rossa trousers.

If we ignore the sanitary thing, why would I change to one-piece gear? The only difference would be the transition from top to trousers at the waist, isn't it? And you wear a numberbelt at most triathlons anyway which also disturbs the airstream, so I wonder if a change would make me even one second faster. Or is it that a one-piece suit will always have less wrinkles than a two-piece gear?

All I want to say is, that given the disadvantages a one-piece suit has, there must be a clear expectation that it would save me at least two minutes.
Last edited by: longtrousers: Feb 23, 17 23:54
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I did my first 70.3 in a 2XU two piece, it was horrible. The shorts moved around so much on the bike and run, they cut me to pieces and chafed me horribly downstairs. Never again.

Since I've raced in a Scody Air one piece. Very comfortable, shorts stay put where I want them and no chafing. I've swum with it over the shoulders but unzipped in the 70.3's and it didn't bother me.

I'm also planning on using the same one piece for IMNZ coming up. But I think I'll swim with it rolled down.

In summary, I chose the one piece over two for the comfort. I hate how the shorts move around, even just a little, when they're not secured up over the shoulders as in a one piece or proper cycling bibs
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [wcb] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
wcb wrote:
stdogma wrote:
There isnt really any two piece sleeved option...

LG Course? Love mine, except for the fact that there is zero storage. Guess that's what aero is all about though.

I too have an LG M-2 Course, really like it. It has the same sort of design as the Spider, top section unzips and is two separate flaps. I believe it is a little less expensive than the Spider. Fit is a bit different though IMHO. I need a medium in Kiwami, but was a small in the LG. YMMV
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Lets get childish here!!! I see a couple replies re: time savings for bathroom breaks. While I agree bathroom breaks are an inconvenience in general, after reading this I am starting to think that I am some sort of 1 piece pooping guru!!! (new name here on ST?) I say this because the times I have needed to go #2 I know it some time in advance and it takes me all of about 5 seconds to unzip and pull my top down past the danger zone for the #2 and maybe 4 seconds past the danger zone for #1. ( I could have gotten real childish and said longer :) I have even prepared in advance and taken the top half down on the run to the porta potty and put it on while running out of it. Same thing on the bike except I am one of those piss myself on the bike folks but that's a whole other story. My advice is to not worry about the BM's and worry about comfort. Make sure it is comfortable and not rubbing and causing issues anywhere. I personally like the 1 piece as the two piece would start to curl up / shorts come down the race belt would rub.
Quote Reply
Re: IM race outfit [jhouckwsu] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
This is the answer I was looking for.
Quote Reply