Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Dura ace Questions
Quote | Reply
What are the main changes in the Dura Ace line between 7900 and 9000. Is it just 10 speed to 11 or was there performance changes. Beyond weight.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [Fishbum] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The change to 9000 introduced new technology such as the need to trim the front deraileur, the need to constantly replace cables for fear of them breaking right at the shifter, cassettes that explode, cranks that crack and break and lighter shifting.
So not only do you get an extra cog that nobody needs for time trialing but a host of other benefits to go along with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They look different.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [lyrrad] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:
The change to 9000 introduced new technology such as the need to trim the front deraileur, the need to constantly replace cables for fear of them breaking right at the shifter, cassettes that explode, cranks that crack and break and lighter shifting.
So not only do you get an extra cog that nobody needs for time trialing but a host of other benefits to go along with it.

Lol. Not a fan? What are your recommendations?
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They have fixed the crank in the latest incarnation.
They have a fixed cassette out.
They have a new version brifter that fixed the problem but diddn't
But the very latest just release is all new.
The cable breakage from my experience is mainly due to poor routing and no maintainence.
Get STI and the problem goes away completely.

Shimano stands behind their product, buy dura-ace.

But I run 7900 on my main road bike and with the new low friction cables fitted it works beautifully, I see no reason to change even though an extra cog for my mostly riding in the hills would be nice.
If I was to build a tri bike, I would be all over electronic.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
lyrrad wrote:

Dude, that's not a new feature. They had it since DA7800!

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
7900 requires no front derailleur trimming, cassettes don't break, nor do the cables and I have only eveer seen one failed crank and that was from corrosion.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
What are the main changes in the Dura Ace line between 7900 and 9000. Is it just 10 speed to 11 or was there performance changes. Beyond weight.

7900 was the first year that Shimano went to the buried shift cables(running under the bar tape and along the handle-bar). The shifting was OK, but felt dead. They have been able to refine this with further year upgrades and make it better.

I have a mix of Dura Ace 7900 and 7800(shifters) on my road bike. The 7800 shifters were the last with the exposed shift cable out front. It looks a little old-school even vintage, now, but when tuned up, shifts like a dream - very crisp and accurate - actually better than the 7900 that came after!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Feb 22, 17 7:20
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I'm thinking about building a 10-speed Dura-Ace so that I can use Zipps r2c shifters for mechanical build
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
The Dura Ace 9001 is designed to mitigate the shifter cable breakage issue. Not sure if it actually fixes the issue since I don't have any personal experience with it.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Are the Zipp R2C bar-end shifters compatible with Shimano derailleurs?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [jimatbeyond] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I think if you look on their website in ten-speed they still are unless I'm completely Miss reading something
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
You prefer 7900 to 9000? I thought 7900 was a real step backwards compared to 7800. The shifting is awful. 9000 is terrific in my opinion. I don't use shimano cables or cranks though. No problems with anything else.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Have you already purchased the Zipp R2C bar-end shifters?
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:
You prefer 7900 to 9000? I thought 7900 was a real step backwards compared to 7800. The shifting is awful. 9000 is terrific in my opinion. I don't use shimano cables or cranks though. No problems with anything else.

No I currently run ultegra 6800 on my felt AR. However I have a Cervelo P3 out for paint right now and I'm contemplating its build if I go the mechanical route I was thinking about the r2c shifters and how to use them with Shimano if possible
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
jimatbeyond wrote:
Have you already purchased the Zipp R2C bar-end shifters?

No. Deciding on how to proceed with a build for a Cervelo P3
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I had thought those were discontinued, I guess they are not. looks like the 10spd version is still available

just don't undo the wrong bolt or you wont be happy

my original ones were warranty replaced in less than a year when I had them
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [jeffp] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I am pretty sure that they are discontinued.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I thought so too, but they are still listed on zipps website
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I just spoke to the guys at Zipp they no longer make the 10-speed version however they think you could still get them at a zip dealer whatever the f that means. Not to mention the customer service doesn't seem the greatest and they kind of made me feel like an ass with some of the questions I was asking
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
lyrrad wrote:

Dude, that's not a new feature. They had it since DA7800!

I have a 2008 Trek Madone with DA 7900 among others. I've broken brake cables at the shifter several times and all my bikes are well maintained. Other than that, I've had no problems with the older version. I have DA 9000 on a 2015 Argon 18 Gallium Pro and so far so good.

Edit - maybe it is 7800, I don't really remember, but even so, it did NOT fix the cable issue.
Last edited by: HuffNPuff: Feb 22, 17 12:27
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
They were saying that some shops still might have some New Old Stock shifters.

You should be able to find them on eBay for around $200.
Quote Reply
Re: Dura ace Questions [srshaw] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
srshaw wrote:

As they come the 7900 and the entire series of Ultegra 6700 and 105 5700 all had vague shifting when they introduced the under the tape cable run.

But

Put those fancy new polymer cables in and they all shift beautifully, with no more vague shifting.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
  • Much improved shifting in 9000 compared to 7900. Shorter lever throws and far less effort required. Part of this was the lever action, part of it was the new derailleurs, and a significant part was the new cables.
  • Extra casssette cog much appreciated for those of us running wide-gear ranges
  • Hoods better shaped in 9000.
  • Ability to trim FD restored in 9000 which had been taken away in 7900. If you run tight clusters and never cross-chain then it's not necessary but otherwise, definitely.
  • Ability to shift 3 cogs in the rear in one shift was restored in 9000. It had been reduced to two in 7900.
  • More crankset options (well more "official" crank options) besides 53/39 and 50/34. Now you can run 52/38, 52/36, 50/36. Even the combinations they don't "approve" of like 50/36 work excellently.
  • Got rid of the pointlessly "directional" chain of 7900.

Downsides:
  • The original release had defects in both the shifters and cassettes, both of which were addressed. I never experienced them but I didn't go to 9000 until it had been out for at least a year.
  • Move to new, 4-bolt crankset means that all those old chainrings you had are now useless.

To me, 9000 is what 7900 should have been. I was very happy with 7800, completely disappointed with 7900, much happier with 9000
Quote Reply