Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Chrissie W comeback
Quote | Reply
Ok, so it's click bait nonsense. ;-)

But Chrissie tweeted to say she'll be doing London Marathon in April.

https://twitter.com/...s/820917885925281792

Bear in mind she's not trained that much, has had a child in the last year or so.

What do you reckon?

I'm guessing easily sub 3. Maybe even sub 2h45? Simply because that crazy determination to crush opponents and hurt like no other will take over.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [Race1] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Fun to see her out there again. Obviously capable or sub 3, but without knowing if she has any drive to "race" or not we are really guessing.

Team Zoot So Cal
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [Karl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
You get a lot of retired athletes doing things like the London marathon, but treating it more like a bit of fun, rather than a race, waving to the cameras, signing autographs etc. So not sure if she's doing this for shits and giggles or actually racing. I kind of think a little bit of her competitive spirit left her in 2011.

I find it strange when athletes retire young, in their prime or when they still have something to offer. Why didn't she switch to 70.3 or OD or the occasional local triathlon? I love to train and race and am very competitive so find it weird when super competitive people like CW simply stop. Maybe she burned out, perhaps she was never that into triathlon like some of us are. Perhaps the training was a chore or maybe it was simply she achieved everything there was to achieve.
Last edited by: zedzded: Jan 19, 17 0:20
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [zedzded] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
A lot of your speculation is answered very honestly in her book. Worth a read, it's one of the more enjoyable athlete autobiographies I've read.

ZONE3 - We Last Longer
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [tessar] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Agree 100%, great book and answers a lot of the recurring questions that often come up. What I took away from her book was that she needed something from IM, and in 2011 it gave her what she needed. A test, and the chance to prove something to herself.

I don't think there is any question of her burning out, she has simply moved on to other challenges outside triathlon (gasp, there is a world outside triathlon ;-) !!) although it is obvious that the last race took an enormous toll on her. But I think to understand why she left triathlon you first need to understand why she was in the sport in the first place.

My own thoughts based on the book, obv.
Last edited by: knighty76: Jan 19, 17 3:20
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [knighty76] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
When I saw her in Bristol a couple of years ago, she still looked ripped as hell and ready to go. Probably not long before she fell pregnant thinking about it. So she was obviously still staying very fit at that point.

29 years and counting
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i think she said she swam 5 k on the day she gave birth.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [Jorgan] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Jorgan wrote:
When I saw her in Bristol a couple of years ago, she still looked ripped as hell and ready to go. Probably not long before she fell pregnant thinking about it. So she was obviously still staying very fit at that point.

Agree.

I saw her at the London 2012 Olympics. Turned around and she was standing behind me during the Womens Time Trial. Still looked race fit
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:
A lot of your speculation is answered very honestly in her book. Worth a read, it's one of the more enjoyable athlete autobiographies I've read.

her book almost read like Forrest Gump. Pretty incredible life before she even started to race.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Just to round this off.

2h49

Won her age group.

14th Woman to the finish line.

http://results-2017.virginmoneylondonmarathon.com/...amp;search_event=MAS
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [d00d] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
has it been 2 years or 4 since she last raced, I can't remember

d00d wrote:
tessar wrote:

her book almost read like Forrest Gump. Pretty incredible life before she even started to race.

Eric Reid AeroFit | Instagram Portfolio
Aerodynamic Retul Bike Fitting

“You are experiencing the criminal coverup of a foreign backed fascist hostile takeover of a mafia shakedown of an authoritarian religious slow motion coup. Persuade people to vote for Democracy.”
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Just to round this off.

2h49

Won her age group.

That is seriously impressive! 14th- same as Gwen in NYC :) If you asked me up front I'd have guessed that there were more than 8 minutes separating Chrissie and Gwen in a marathon, given they are in quite different places of their carreers...!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
tessar wrote:

I liked her book too, it's also very easy to read. It's like +200 pages but I finished it in basically one sitting. Her stories of Tibet and Nepal were the best part.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [lovegoat] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
lovegoat wrote:
Race1 wrote:
Just to round this off.

2h49

Won her age group.

That is seriously impressive! 14th- same as Gwen in NYC :) If you asked me up front I'd have guessed that there were more than 8 minutes separating Chrissie and Gwen in a marathon, given they are in quite different places of their carreers...!

Chrissie was not the 14th OA woman. She was the 14th non-elite woman.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [ericMPro] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I see what you did there....
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [thisgirl] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Took me a minute....
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Race1 wrote:
Jorgan wrote:

Agree.

I saw her at the London 2012 Olympics. Turned around and she was standing behind me during the Womens Time Trial. Still looked race fit
Yes. At the oly nats we were sitting at a Starbucks and in runs Wellington (literally, she was running) still looking fit as ever. Then two days later who was handing out medals at the finish line? Yep. I sprinted last 1/2 mile and had nothing left and felt loopy, someone took my timing chip, someone else was giving me something wasn't sure what. I looked up and it was her with the medals. Then I walked right past the food and water wondering where the post race food and water were. LOL. Good times.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [eggplantOG] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
eggplantOG wrote:
tessar wrote:

I liked her book too, it's also very easy to read. It's like +200 pages but I finished it in basically one sitting. Her stories of Tibet and Nepal were the best part.

I was blown away with how much natural ability she had, competing and beating people on an old shitty road bike, whilst they're on state of the art TT bikes.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
craigj532 wrote:
lovegoat wrote:
Race1 wrote:
Just to round this off.

2h49

Won her age group.

Chrissie was not the 14th OA woman. She was the 14th non-elite woman.

Let's not forget that Chrissie is 40 years old, well past her prime. Gwen is 10 years her junior and just entering her prime. And bear in mind that the woman's world record for a 40 year old in the marathon is 2:27. Chrissie's performance was very impressive indeed, certainly the best triathlete there ever was.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [aerobike] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
 Gwen is 10 years her junior and just entering her prime.//

And was pregnant at the time of the race, as long as we are throwing out stuff here in the comparison game.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
clickbait or not, there's nothing like a Chrissie W thread to bring ol' jackmott out of ST retirement ...

—Mr. Hand
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [monty] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
monty wrote:
Gwen is 10 years her junior and just entering her prime.//

And was pregnant at the time of the race, as long as we are throwing out stuff here in the comparison game.

She was 6 days pregnant, if that.

And also in Olympic Gold triathlon shape.
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [craigj532] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
40th woman overall from the looks of it, 14th not in the elite wave (all 26 elite wave athletes that finished posted faster times than her). Still super impressive given that she "didn't train" for it...
Quote Reply
Re: Chrissie W comeback [Trauma] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Trauma wrote:
40th woman overall from the looks of it, 14th not in the elite wave (all 26 elite wave athletes that finished posted faster times than her). Still super impressive given that she "didn't train" for it...

She didn't enter as a pro, competed in AG 40-44 and won her category. Beast as always.
Quote Reply