Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Carry-on crank arm advice dealing with TSA...
Quote | Reply
The TSA rule is tools less then 7 inches are ok. 165mm arms would be less then 7 inches I think. Ultimately just trying to travel with a stages powermeter arm to put on a rental bike in Cali while I'm in town (san diego). Also traveling with pedals and shoes, but I don't think those should be a problem. I guess worst case scenario I have to go back out and check my bag for $25. Anyone ever travel with a crank arm?

Thanks.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on crank arm advice dealing with TSA... [Donbrowski] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
I've traveled multiple times with a crank set (including rings) in my carry on. With that said, I usually fly out of a tiny local airport that probably isn't the most stringent when it comes to things like that. I'd still probably not worry if I was only taking a left arm.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I have traveled numerous times from large airports with my SRM in my carry-on and never been questioned. That being said, some TSA agents are complete assholes and they could not let it thru. I used to keep my pedal wrench in my bag (~12" long) and after about 5 years of traveling with it, a Denver TSA agent wouldn't let me thru with it. Luckily I was able to get SWA to pull my bike bag so I could get the wrench into it - the joy of getting to the airport early.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on crank arm advice dealing with TSA... [pritchet74] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Thanks guys! This is newark nj airport to San Diego so. I guess we'll see.
In Reply To:
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Tough to say honestly... it depends on the person that looks in your bag or is looking at the x-ray. The code is a wratchet/tool that exceeds 7 inches... lost my torque wrench in Houston on a connecting flight. Yet you can carry a full size bike pump, no issues. I tend to like to play it safe, you just don't know what they'll do (or how they might interpret code/rules) and you don't have a ton of options when you're at the TSA check... baggage already checked, etc. I'd check it if you have that option.
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on crank arm advice dealing with TSA... [xeon] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Just want to provide the result on this: No problems at all. Didn't even set off the alarm or whatever on the x-ray scan belts they use. Crank arm and pedals...
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Not really that related, but I have zero confidence in TSA agents finding what they should and also trying to prohibit what is permissible. A few years ago I was on a return flight from a trip to Hawaii - probably 3rd or 4th time my carry-on had been scanned - and they found a Leatherman that I forgot was in a small pouch of my bag. Unfortunately I didn't have time to go and check it, but it was a 3" blade that made it through several machines and by TSA folks before being discovered.

Blog: http://262toboylstonstreet.blogspot.com/
https://twitter.com/NateThomasTri
Coaching: https://bybtricoaching.com/ - accepting athletes for 2023
Quote Reply
Re: Carry-on crank arm advice dealing with TSA... [natethomas] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Well, ultimately they discovered it so they were successful. Same thing happened to me - swiss army pocket knife - set off the alarm. Forgot it was in my bag. I figured an 8'' or so crank arm would set it off, but who knows what the criteria they look for is. I've set it off with liquids before.
Quote Reply