Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
i always get a lot out of that conference. i always get more out of it than i think i'm going to, and that's because what i get out of it is largely separate from the conference agenda (speakers, topics). it's entirely about the people who attend. honestly - and i'm speaking against my own interests, because i'm a TBI shareholder and board member - if TBI put on a conference that was simply a 3-day weenie roast i would get just as much or more out of it because it's the relationships renewed, the deals done, the ad hoc conversations between the attendees.

i have written in the past about 2 race directors i think really understand things today: ryan coelho (SF bay area) and michael o'neil (boston area). we were at a mixer at active's headquarters and i got to introduce the two to each other.

the first thing we do at a TBI conference every year is a kind of speed dating thing, where you get 5 minutes with someone, then like musical chairs you spend 5 minutes with someone else, and so on. i sat across from a woman who produces a series of triathlon in... greece! wow. i asked her to send me photos of her races, so we could produce a photo gallery here.

this thread is a small analog of the conference. three posts just above are from three people who are absolute trend setters in triathlon: barry siff, trent nix, and dan kennision. now, to be clear, trent and dan are wedded to a strikingly different approaches to sales channels. but they're each clear thinkers and each will be around in years to come. i absolutely WILL do deals with each because i trust their judgment and their staying power. whenever i contemplate something for the IBD channel the 2 people i ask first are cid cardoso (inside out sport) and trent nix (trishop plano).

but you guys know this. you come on a thread about wheels and tires and you're likely to get tom anhalt, josh poertner, the guys from specialized chiming in. whenever you crowdsource ideas from those in a position to know you move the ball forward a year in one conversation.

i have taken a step back from conference planning over the last couple of years, but i think i'll take a step forward this year. i have some ideas for this conference that riff off what i'm writing above.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [dkennison] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
That is like a company where management will not talk to operations but both want and need more sales.

Dan,

Welcome to the oil & water, apples and oranges world of the differences between private businesses and sports governing bodies. BOTH are doing great things. BOTH are working in the same space. But because of the way they are funded - one via free market capitalism the other by member fees and government funding, the drivers and the motivators that keep them going are TOTALLY different!

Triathlon is no different than other sports - you can go sport to sport to sport and see this same, Great Divide!

One small example: A Race Director is calling me, pulling his hair out telling me that some Official from the Federation is telling him his finish line gantry, HAS to be 6in wider! The Federation guy is just doing his job. But he does not realize that it would be nearly impossible, ridiculous or grossly expensive for the Race Director to make the changes! The federation official is just standing there saying, "It must be so"! Neither party is wrong and both are right! As I mentioned, the Federation offcial is just doing his job. The Race Director is just doing his. He's run many races with that same finish gantry, and it's all be great. In fact, his sponsors ( who's names may have to be removed to widen) tell him it's amazing and agree are, hugely supportive. And around and around we go!

I could write a book about the above from the three sports that I have been closest to over 30+ years - Athletics, Cycling and Triathlon!

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Last edited by: Fleck: Jan 27, 17 8:02
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Dan - my last post was a bit 30,000 ft general observation...but you are 100% correct in the benefits from the individual conversations.

Some of these members are executing unbelievably well in a very specific space or geographical location in the market and there is a lot to learn from what starts out as a general conversation. One thing that will continue to influence the sport dramatically are the teams and coaches. There were a lot of conversations that end like this: "I'm not sure what we can do together but I really want to find a way to work together" - just a lot of high quality people.

One thing I would like to see is an optional monthly or quarterly 30 minutes group conference call for attendees to keep these relationships growing. Maybe preceded by a short sub-topic agenda directed by a moving moderator (Board Member). Just being together on a call periodically builds trust and fosters ideas.

It would great to have some representative athletes that are not specifically in the business to get some customer feedback.

Dan Kennison

facebook: @triPremierBike
http://www.PremierBike.com
http://www.PositionOneSports.com
Last edited by: dkennison: Jan 27, 17 8:18
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
whenever you crowdsource ideas from those in a position to know you move the ball forward a year in one conversation.

Dan,

Great thoughts.

Indeed, at conferences, Expos, industry events like this, in any business or area, there is the actual content of what is going on and then there is the conversations, interactions and networking that takes place away from, and in between the actual scheduled content. All of the latter can have significant value!

It's why I go to Interbike every year - I'm not buying anything and, really have no interest in what cool gee-whiz new thing is in Booth-X. Indirectly, I am selling something, but first and foremost, it's the conversations in the aisles, the networking, the interactions with key people in the business that I have that is of value to me. As an example - I'm grateful, for the 10 minutes you and I sat together not even on the show floor and had a good quiet catch up after the show was over one day, as we were walking back to our respective hotels. It may have been worth the trip to Las Vegas just for that.

Steve Fleck @stevefleck | Blog
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [Fleck] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
"It's why I go to Interbike every year"

exactly. the two most important events on my calendar each year are interbike and the TBI conference, for that reason. their must be a place where stakeholders can regularly gather.

Dan Empfield
aka Slowman
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Interbike is a big one for me. We get tremendous value out of the NBDA Super Seminars. Some years are better than others, but we always find 3 or 4 sessions we are glad we attended.

TBI would do well to consider similar programming.

Trent Nix
Owned and operated Tri Shop
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hey Trent,

I'm a little surprised to read this sort of trash talk on this thread since your shop actually applied to open a wholesale account with us in February 2015, but perhaps it's sour grapes since we opted not to move forward. I don't see you as a customer anywhere in our system, but it reads like you have at least tried some of our products, which is great. Not sure what you've tried and which products struck you as lacking innovation.

In any case, please allow me to address your comments. I don't care about the sustainability comments since you don't actually know our financials, but I take issue with your specific comment about innovation.

While some can certainly argue on degree of innovation, I think it is ridiculous to say we haven't brought anything innovative to market since launching in 2013, besides packaging. I like our packaging too, by the way, but gimme a break.

Definition of innovation

1. 1: the introduction of something new

2. 2: a new idea, method, or device : novelty

Here are four quick dimensions of third-party validation for you to consider.

Athletes - we would never have signed our biggest athletes, who depend on our product for their livelihood, without innovative products You can say maybe that our products don't influence the outcome of a race much or that using equipment "as good" as others is sufficient for these athletes when sponsorship dollars are on the line, but you'd be wrong, especially in ITU, where the right swim products can absolutely be the difference between making the lead group or getting dropped. Given the size of our sponsorship deals, which in some case are quite small or are gear support only, there is zero chance that any of our top ITU athletes would work with us if they didn't believe our products were superior to what's on the market.

IP Protection - We have several registered patents internationally, which means that by legal definition and third-party assessment, we are innovative. These patents cover our wetsuits, sim shorts, goggles, hand paddles and eyewear. We also have numerous other innovative products in development and numerous other patent applications in process. We spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to protect our IP precisely because we think it is innovative and provides a performance benefit, as well as a platform for new product development over time. Believe me, that is not marketing spend, as we could get a much better short-term ROI doing other things. :)

Press/Media/Industry validation - We've won numerous awards, including an ISPO award for our Maverick Pro Wetsuits and a Runner's World Gear of the Year for one of our run shorts. Many of our products have been widely acknowledged in and out of the endemic space, including on this very website, as being innovative on at least one dimension or another, including design, fit, function, materials, or construction.

Customer Happiness - Our customers love our products, and our net promoter score has averaged 84 since we started tracking it by a third-party in May 2014. We also track numerous other metrics for customer satisfaction, return rates, etc. Our cohort analysis suggests that people are ordering more from us over time, not less, precisely because they like our products. Lastly, you can also read the product reviews on our website, which are administered by an independent third-party and can't be manipulated. In those reviews, many people discuss how they found one or more innovations in our products.

Overall, triathletes are a fickle bunch and are always looking for the next level in innovation and performance. Sometimes it's a step change, and sometimes it's just stopping that one seam from chafing on the run. We get that. Given the competitive landscape and our price points, there is no way we could be growing at the rate we are, and with the retention rate we have, if our products didn't stand up to the test.

So again, am not sure what's informing your analysis, and maybe it's just that you haven't tried our products for real or haven't talked to enough of our customers who have used them, but I'd encourage you to learn more about our stuff before you just blast us on a public forum. That sort of thing obviously begs for a response, and we'd prefer not to get into a food fight. I spend a lot of time on this forum trying to understand what people want, trying to answer questions, and trying to help customers. Would prefer to be doing that vs. defending ROKA against unsubstantiated comments.

Re: profitability, and sustainability, we are very comfortable with our financial position and as a private company don't comment on the details of that publicly. Suffice it to say, we believe we are well-run and well-advised. We have a very strong core business and are simultaneously investing in future growth.

Re: how the media covers us - this is out of our control, but we're grateful for the elevated awareness.

Lastly, re: packaging, thanks. We like our packaging too. My teammate Mark Niiro (https://www.linkedin.com/in/mniiro) runs packaging for us and joined us from Apple, where he also ran their packaging team for some of the world's favorite electronics. He is also an accomplished athlete and won the Texas State Crit Championship in his age group this year and was third at Masters Nationals. In addition to running packaging, he's also an accomplished product designer. He's currently contributing to the development of some cycling-specific eyewear along with five A+ design engineers we recently hired from Oakley, but I won't tell any of them you don't think their products will be innovative or that you think we're going under. :)

Since you're local, I'd like to invite you to come over to our shop sometime so you can check out our products, maybe go for a swim in our gym, and peak under the hood to see what we're really up to. Perhaps we can print out a hatchet on one of our 3D printers and bury it together. :) :)

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
http://www.roka.com
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [ROKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Daayum, shit just got real.

Sincerely,
Bored at Work
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [ROKA] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
ROKA wrote:
Hey Trent,

I'm a little surprised to read this sort of trash talk on this thread since your shop actually applied to open a wholesale account with us in February 2015, but perhaps it's sour grapes since we opted not to move forward. I don't see you as a customer anywhere in our system, but it reads like you have at least tried some of our products, which is great. Not sure what you've tried and which products struck you as lacking innovation.

In any case, please allow me to address your comments. I don't care about the sustainability comments since you don't actually know our financials, but I take issue with your specific comment about innovation.

While some can certainly argue on degree of innovation, I think it is ridiculous to say we haven't brought anything innovative to market since launching in 2013, besides packaging. I like our packaging too, by the way, but gimme a break.

Definition of innovation

Athletes - we would never have signed our biggest athletes, who depend on our product for their livelihood, without innovative products You can say maybe that our products don't influence the outcome of a race much or that using equipment "as good" as others is sufficient for these athletes when sponsorship dollars are on the line, but you'd be wrong, especially in ITU, where the right swim products can absolutely be the difference between making the lead group or getting dropped. Given the size of our sponsorship deals, which in some case are quite small or are gear support only, there is zero chance that any of our top ITU athletes would work with us if they didn't believe our products were superior to what's on the market.

IP Protection - We have several registered patents internationally, which means that by legal definition and third-party assessment, we are innovative. These patents cover our wetsuits, sim shorts, goggles, hand paddles and eyewear. We also have numerous other innovative products in development and numerous other patent applications in process. We spend literally hundreds of thousands of dollars to protect our IP precisely because we think it is innovative and provides a performance benefit, as well as a platform for new product development over time. Believe me, that is not marketing spend, as we could get a much better short-term ROI doing other things. :)

Press/Media/Industry validation - We've won numerous awards, including an ISPO award for our Maverick Pro Wetsuits and a Runner's World Gear of the Year for one of our run shorts. Many of our products have been widely acknowledged in and out of the endemic space, including on this very website, as being innovative on at least one dimension or another, including design, fit, function, materials, or construction.

Customer Happiness - Our customers love our products, and our net promoter score has averaged 84 since we started tracking it by a third-party in May 2014. We also track numerous other metrics for customer satisfaction, return rates, etc. Our cohort analysis suggests that people are ordering more from us over time, not less, precisely because they like our products. Lastly, you can also read the product reviews on our website, which are administered by an independent third-party and can't be manipulated. In those reviews, many people discuss how they found one or more innovations in our products.

Overall, triathletes are a fickle bunch and are always looking for the next level in innovation and performance. Sometimes it's a step change, and sometimes it's just stopping that one seam from chafing on the run. We get that. Given the competitive landscape and our price points, there is no way we could be growing at the rate we are, and with the retention rate we have, if our products didn't stand up to the test.

So again, am not sure what's informing your analysis, and maybe it's just that you haven't tried our products for real or haven't talked to enough of our customers who have used them, but I'd encourage you to learn more about our stuff before you just blast us on a public forum. That sort of thing obviously begs for a response, and we'd prefer not to get into a food fight. I spend a lot of time on this forum trying to understand what people want, trying to answer questions, and trying to help customers. Would prefer to be doing that vs. defending ROKA against unsubstantiated comments.

Re: profitability, and sustainability, we are very comfortable with our financial position and as a private company don't comment on the details of that publicly. Suffice it to say, we believe we are well-run and well-advised. We have a very strong core business and are simultaneously investing in future growth.

Re: how the media covers us - this is out of our control, but we're grateful for the elevated awareness.

Lastly, re: packaging, thanks. We like our packaging too. My teammate Mark Niiro (https://www.linkedin.com/in/mniiro) runs packaging for us and joined us from Apple, where he also ran their packaging team for some of the world's favorite electronics. He is also an accomplished athlete and won the Texas State Crit Championship in his age group this year and was third at Masters Nationals. In addition to running packaging, he's also an accomplished product designer. He's currently contributing to the development of some cycling-specific eyewear along with five A+ design engineers we recently hired from Oakley, but I won't tell any of them you don't think their products will be innovative or that you think we're going under. :)

Since you're local, I'd like to invite you to come over to our shop sometime so you can check out our products, maybe go for a swim in our gym, and peak under the hood to see what we're really up to. Perhaps we can print out a hatchet on one of our 3D printers and bury it together. :) :)

Best,
Rob

Dang!

"If it costs you 30 minutes at Maryland so what" -dwreal
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ROKA wrote:
Hey Trent,

Definition of innovation

Best,
Rob
I think you misread my post - or perhaps I wasn't clear enough - if you took it as trash talk. That's unfortunate, and was not my intention. I am aware, though, that it was likely ROKA and others would read my posts.

What you are doing and the success you are (or are not) having wasn't my point. My point was that the perception of innovation that was promoted by several I heard from at TBI was not consistent with what I see from your company. Perhaps you're model is terrific. Perhaps your product is terrific. Perhaps your method of reaching customers is terrific. But innovative is not the words I would used to describe it.

I would say the same thing about my own shop. I've talked to other retailers that have asked what our secret is that has led to what modest success we've had. The fact is, there is no secret. There is no switch to flip. It is the tuning of 1000 individual knobs that has resulted in a recipe that has, at least so far, provided us with sustainable success. I do not consider those efforts to be innovative, and think the word is thrown around far too often to describe what companies are doing. If the word gets overused, it will lose its meaning altogether. To each their own, maybe.

I'm a student of the economics of specialty sporting goods retail and the business of triathlon. I'm finding few others are, unfortunately, so sometimes my concerns aren't shared with others.

In regards to our historical relationship, you have it backwards. We opted not to move forward, as we found the buy-in unnecessarily high and we found that your direct-to-consumer efforts were damaging to the profitability of the product for retailers. I made that decision personally, after our buyer opened the account. I believe you'll find that while the account was opened, no orders were placed or attempted. It's a shame you neglected to mention that, because I think it's an important piece of information to understand my perspective, which is not the product of sour grapes.

It is prudent not to carry product that sells, but to carry product that sells profitably. The recent (and ongoing) carnage of bike and run retail stores closing would indicate that this is an important point if one believes, like I do, that brick and mortar retail has a place in the industry's future. Perhaps you don't believe that's the case. If not, then I think the result you expect will hurt us both.

There is no hatchet to bury. So no printing is necessary. I can only provide my opinion and my arguments of support, and people can take from it what they will.

Time will tell whether I'm right about anything, but I'd expect to find little comfort in being right or little embarrassment in being wrong. I just hope that presenting my perspective and seeing arguments to the contrary will help me navigate whatever future is to come.

Trent Nix
F.I.S.T. Advanced Certified Fitter | Retul Master Certified Fitter (back when those were things)
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [Pooks] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply

I wrote this, you should read it:
https://www.slowtwitch.com/...n_Swimming_6700.html
Quote Reply
Re: Triathlon Business International Conference (Mostly For Those In The Business) [trentnix] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the clarification. I think I addressed our performance relative to the conventional understanding of innovation, but if you've got a higher standard or wish to thin-slice, that is certainly your right. Perhaps in the future you can articulate that more precisely when posting in a public forum such as this, since it came across to some as general bashing or ranting without any explanation.

Re: our lack of business relationship, from our perspective, your account was never opened because you wouldn't meet our minimum open-to-buy spend of $10,000, which for us is a very small investment for a retailer who wants to invest in our brand. Speaking of economics, we just don't make any money on orders that small, and if someone can't or won't make the minimum, we view that as a very bad sign of future growth prospects. Since we aren't trying to plant our flag in every single local tri shop across the country, strategically it didn't make sense for us to move forward.

I just asked our finance manager to check our system, and there is no account record or account number or orders in our system. It's true, you did complete the credit app, and we discussed it internally at the time, but our finance team did not give approval to move forward without hitting the minimum and thus did not "open" your account. Perhaps there was a miscommunication with someone from our team, so I apologize for any confusion. That is entirely possible.

In any case, I think we can both agree we don't work together and didn't want to once the terms were understood. All good, it sounds like it was for the best. :)

The offer to drop by our shop still stands!

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
trentnix wrote:
How, exactly, has Roka innovated? The only thing that has ever been specifically mentioned to me is "packaging".

What Rob said.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Definitely going to buy even more Roka gear now.

Make Inside Out Sports your next online tri shop! http://www.insideoutsports.com/
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
ROKA wrote:
Hi Trent,

Thanks for the clarification. I think I addressed our performance relative to the conventional understanding of innovation, but if you've got a higher standard or wish to thin-slice, that is certainly your right. Perhaps in the future you can articulate that more precisely when posting in a public forum such as this, since it came across to some as general bashing or ranting without any explanation.

Re: our lack of business relationship, from our perspective, your account was never opened because you wouldn't meet our minimum open-to-buy spend of $10,000, which for us is a very small investment for a retailer who wants to invest in our brand. Speaking of economics, we just don't make any money on orders that small, and if someone can't or won't make the minimum, we view that as a very bad sign of future growth prospects. Since we aren't trying to plant our flag in every single local tri shop across the country, strategically it didn't make sense for us to move forward.

I just asked our finance manager to check our system, and there is no account record or account number or orders in our system. It's true, you did complete the credit app, and we discussed it internally at the time, but our finance team did not give approval to move forward without hitting the minimum and thus did not "open" your account. Perhaps there was a miscommunication with someone from our team, so I apologize for any confusion. That is entirely possible.

In any case, I think we can both agree we don't work together and didn't want to once the terms were understood. All good, it sounds like it was for the best. :)

The offer to drop by our shop still stands!

Best,
Rob
A 10k investment in wetsuits for a Texas-based retailer that does not sell online (and who already does business with a couple of other wetsuit manufacturers) is too much for our cozy shop. Cheers and great success to the retailers able to meet that minimum. We admire their volume.

I must say, I don't understand the comment about the finance team not giving approval to move forward without hitting a minimum. Every other vendor we've ever worked with seems to go in the other direction - the finance department restricts your account by setting a maximum purchase, not a minimum.

Trent Nix
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Hi Trent,

The rationale on our end for a higher minimum is simple: limited resources. It's not efficient for us to chase all business, and at some point the economic cost or opportunity cost doesn't make sense. In 2014-2015, $10k wholesale minimum was a useful tool to separate different kinds of partners. Now, as our business has evolved, we have a different strategy towards wholesale. Today our "minimum" is much higher, again keeping limited resources in mind.

Might be unconventional, but it's the only way we have figured out how to fend off complete corporate indigestion in the face of a lot of different opportunities.

Best,
Rob

---
rob canales
ceo + co-founder at ROKA
Quote Reply

Prev Next