Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Wrench help needed: Ultegra Di2 6870 Front Derailleur is driving me crazy
Quote | Reply
So I just built a new Shiv with Ultegra Di2 and I've got the RD tuned fine but the FD is driving me crazy. The angle of the cage is angling too far outboard and is coming across the chainring. Even when I have the limits screws appropriately adjusted the FD starts to rub half way through the gear range. I know there's a "support bolt" but this is all the way out. I believe this bolt only makes the cage move further outboard. I need the cage to angle more toward the frame.

Quote Reply
Re: Wrench help needed: Ultegra Di2 6870 Front Derailleur is driving me crazy [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Have you messed with the angle 2mm adjustment screw? (in video at 49 seconds in)

Last edited by: nickwhite: Jan 18, 17 10:30
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench help needed: Ultegra Di2 6870 Front Derailleur is driving me crazy [triguy86] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
The whole derailleur rotates a little in the hanging bracket. Loosen the bolt that secures it to the bike, and then just change the angle.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As other have stated, although it sounds like you addressed the set screw. If there isn't a mechanical block (set screw or otherwise) it comes down to hanger. I have tweaked a few of these over the years; best to remove it (if screwed on) to adjust. Not to difficult. Sometime mounts are slightly off in frame mold or hanger itself may be off. Also make sure you are running wire in right place and it is not tucked in between frame and FD.
Quote Reply
Re: Wrench help needed: Ultegra Di2 6870 Front Derailleur is driving me crazy [nickwhite] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
Yea. That set screw threads in and contacts the frame so it angles the derailleur cage FURTHER outboard. Mine is already too far angled that way and the screw is all the way withdrawn. Wouldn't help.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
As others have said, you need to rotate the entire derailleur by loosening it's attachment the bike. If it's a braze on derailleur, loosen the bolt and rotate the derailleur slightly at the braze-on mount. If it's a clamp-on, loosen the clamp bolt, open it up, rotate the entire thing to the desired position, and retighten the clamp. The little support screw on the derailleur is really designed to just brace the derailleur against the frame to keep if from moving/flexing when shifting. It's not really intended to be used as an adjustment to rotate the derailleur.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Is the derailleur hanger bent? If the set screw is all the way retracted, then that implies the derailleur body is touching the frame. If that is the case, then either the hanger is bent or somehow shorter and closer to the frame than what that FD is designed for. Can you shoot a picture from directly behind the FD, looking at the area where the body of the FD (or screw) would contact the frame. Like this picture below (from Park's site)...

Quote Reply
Re: Wrench help needed: Ultegra Di2 6870 Front Derailleur is driving me crazy [exxxviii] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
yup that fixed it. thanks!
Quote Reply