Login required to started new threads

Login required to post replies

Prev Next
Re: Let's talk about this year's nagging cough [Slowman] [ In reply to ]
Quote | Reply
had what I thought was the flu Dec 11-20 with fevers,chills etc. Cleared up but have unusual phlegm, nose and throat, since then. About 2 weeks back started with a sore throat and persistent cough, can't shake it. Certainly the worst winter I've had in years.

#1 son in Minnesota started with asthma due to bad air from the pool ventilation system (now fixed), went on to bronchitis then pneumonia. The pneumonia resolved after antibiotics but he's been coughing and unwell for over three months now. Back to doc this wkend, bronchitis again, need to get him a steroid inhaler but the one the MN doc prescribed is $400. Now negotiating with CO doc to get a cheaper prescription and ship it out to him..

#2 son been complaining of breathing problems for several weeks, doc hasn't been able to find anything. We went x-c skiing, skate skiing, this wkend and he could not keep up with me, which is not normal at all. Ongoing..
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
This thing went through my whole family in the first part of December. Mine developed into a dry, horrible sounding hacking cough that was unproductive. Lasted about 2.5 weeks if I'm remembering correctly.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Same here. Was diagnosed with walking pneumonia, got on meds and still violently coughed for weeks. Better now. Took about 45 days for coughing to go away. Wife hit with same but less severe. I have never coughed so hard before.

Remember a few year ago when Crowie broke a rib coughing? You are in good company!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I was on the BBC radio here in the UK the other morning.

The dr they spoke to suggested that perhaps the virus that causes it has mutated and there for there is less immunity to the virus this year.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Right there with you. I'm in the Bay Area and I've had it for almost a week now, my mom has it, and my niece also has it. No joke, half of my co-workers are out sick because of it. I don't know what the superbug is but it is super strong and it is taking people out left and right. For some of my co-workers they have been coughing for weeks. I haven't been able to train for the past couple of days due to lack of energy and dizziness. I hope get to out there tomorrow. Stay strong my fellow athletes and avoid those germs!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
My wife and daughter had a bout with it, but so far I have managed to stay clear of it! . I'm knocking any wood I can find, as I get it almost every year. Last year, between Dec 2015 and March 1 2016, I had 3 bouts with cough/ upper respiratory infection. My wife is having total knee replacement on 2/10, so everyone can keep their bug :-)

Seriously though, for Dan and all that are dealing with it this year, I sure hope you get well fast, and make sure you are completely recovered so no relapses!
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
RSV peaks once or twice a year. From my observation, hospitals/ERs are often busiest when RSV and when flu peak. RSV is just bad especially for infants (there's a vaccination for preemies), elderly and asthmatics.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
I haven't read through the thread Dan, but had to file a formal complaint... I've been healthy all year and scheduled a weekend away with my lovely wife starting tomorrow morning. Your thread pops up earlier this week and now I have a persistent and nagging cough! I don't know how you did it, but I'm holding you responsible! hahahaha! My teammates would probably point out that it has more to do with me being easily influenced, usually to do stupid things like enter races I'm not prepared for.
Quote Reply
Quote | Reply
Slowman wrote:
i have had this for a couple of months now. had it, got over it, got it back, got over it for 1 day, got it back. am now getting over it.

I've had it since the first week of December. I got hit hard, was out for a day or two, but had lingering post nasal drip since then. I'd occasionally get to 85% better but never 100%. There's been a cough since the beginning, sometimes worse than others.

My regular allergy meds made no difference.

I finally went to the doc. She commented that she has a lot of patients with the same thing, some required 2 trips to get it sorted. I got a prescription for a strong antibiotic and I already feel better after the first dose, yesterday.,
Quote Reply

Prev Next